Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado-Free BLM and State Campsites
Wanted to share a few sites my wife and I used earlier this year! We camped in our car, but you could find a site at both of these places for a tent or even a medium sized rig. We do not like being crowded, and we normally keep to ourselves so these sites were perfect for that! 

There is an awesome BLM spot just across from Mesa Verde National Park in Mancos, CO. The park itself does have a developed campground that you can pay to stay at, but when we went in March it was closed (i am pretty sure). This spot is primitive and was perfect for us since we wanted to spend a few hours at the park, then sleep, then drive to the Four Corners monument (just an hour away). [Coordinates of Campsite... 37.359890, -108.427740]

Some pictures from Mesa Verde...

The next free site is within Royal Gorge State Park in Canyon City, CO. This one is a little more developed but is actually a little further off of the beaten path. You are about 5 minutes from the Royal Gorge suspension bridge, which is something we enjoyed going to check out! It was a little pricey, but worth going once to walk out on it! You are allowed to camp here for up to 3 days. [Coordinates of Campsite... 38.464011, -105.292609]

Some Picture from Royal Gorge...

The wife and I made a video going into more detail on these two campsites and how we found them. We also explain how we camped in of our Subaru!
https://youtu.be/naSdvMZquAY

We will DEFINITELY be staying again at both of these sites in the future!
-Born2Explore
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC91msO0...huja2wiMWQ

2004 Extended GMC Savana G3500 w/ Hi-top
200 Watts of Solar, 140 Amp Hour Battery Bank
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to Born2Explore for this post:
pursuitoflife (11-11-2017), BobBski (11-05-2017), UptownSport (10-03-2017), Duke (09-25-2017), pnolans (09-24-2017), Wabbit (09-22-2017)
Very nice! Thank you.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
Thnx B2E, love to hear about new places for boondocking. As far as that bridge goes in that pic, I gotta say, F that, looks sketchy as hell! Lol
96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
Add Thank You Reply
(09-22-2017, 10:51 AM)Wabbit Wrote: Thnx B2E, love to hear about new places for boondocking. As far as that bridge goes in that pic, I gotta say, F that, looks sketchy as hell! Lol

No, no... you see. What is sketchy is when you are out on the bridge and you see this guy driving toward you! We stood there and watched the suspension cables rattle all over the place. I wondered why they had a speed limit sign!! We were out there when a smaller truck drove across and the whole bridge creaked and shook like crazy.

-Born2Explore

Add Thank You Reply
(11-03-2017, 04:50 PM)mert6706 Wrote: As you know, there is a Women's RTR scheduled to start Jan 22, right after the regular RTR. Suanne suggested I post my question here. I plan to arrive Sat or Sun Jan 6 or 7 and stay through RTR, making my allowed 14 day stay end on Jan 21. Does anyone have a feel for whether I would be made to leave then, or might I be able to stay a few extra days? I won't have a car and must wait for someone to come and get me to go home. If I stay for the Women's RTR my ride would be postponed to the next weekend, meaning I'd have been there 21 or so days. What are the chances i'd be schlepping down the road dragging my gear, having been forced to leave on foot?! They wouldn't really do that, would they?! Any thoughts from you experienced tramps out there?

Which campsite are you planning to stay at?
-Born2Explore

Add Thank You Reply
If you don't mind being on the east side of Mancos, Road 316 takes you into National Forest with many camping spots along the way.

37.359890, -108.427740
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
(09-22-2017, 09:03 AM)Born2Explore Wrote: The next free site is within Royal Gorge State Park in Canyon City, CO. This one is a little more developed but is actually a little further off of the beaten path. You are about 5 minutes from the Royal Gorge suspension bridge, which is something we enjoyed going to check out! It was a little pricey, but worth going once to walk out on it! You are allowed to camp here for up to 3 days. [Coordinates of Campsite... 38.464011, -105.292609]

Cañon City site was awesome! Thanks so much!
Add Thank You Reply