Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart Parking lot.
My 900 watt Microwave pulls 1375w. Even my 1185w solar system at peak can not run it but I am looking for a lower wattage unit that it can. Like most my batteries cover what the system can't and the system replaces the loss afterwards. One thing that helps is if you can let the meal thaw first. That cuts the cooking time down considerably and is much easier on the batteries. I put two frozen burritos in the fridge for tomorrows lunch. The pair that are thawed take two minutes instead of four.

Solar cookers at Walmart would be like putting out your slide, lawn chairs and BBQ. Otherwise a oven is a oven and they take some forethought in cooking. The only cookers that are as fast as your stove are huge and not very portable. A vacuum tube cooker heats up faster and hotter, they are made for smaller meals for one.

The Walmart in Hurricane, Utah was my first. They welcome RV'rs, etc and it makes a great pit stop after being up in the hills for a few weeks. Twice I spent a few days running around town getting everything taken care of so that I could go back up again. Since then I stayed at one of the Walmarts in Flagstaff and was told they were not enforcing the policy. I have heard they have been lately.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
(09-24-2017, 01:09 PM)Weight Wrote: My microwave runs off my battery bank. The solar recharges the battery bank. Microwave, less than 10 minutes. Solar charging, 4 to 6 hours or even more. That is usually more than enough solar energy for my day.

How many watts of panel: what size inverter: how much ah in the battery bank?

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
(09-24-2017, 01:18 PM)jimindenver Wrote:  One thing that helps is if you can let the meal thaw first. That cuts the cooking time down considerably and is much easier on the batteries. I put two frozen burritos in the fridge for tomorrows lunch. The pair that are thawed take two minutes instead of four.

Pre-thawing is also helpful with stove cooking. When I am making a frozen stir-fry dinner from Walmart, or frozen pierogies, or even a steak, I always let the package sit in the van till it's thawed. Cooks a lot faster and easier.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
pnolans (09-24-2017)
(09-24-2017, 01:18 PM)jimindenver Wrote:  Since then I stayed at one of the Walmarts in Flagstaff and was told they were not enforcing the policy. I have heard they have been lately.

It is up to the individual store manager whether or not to allow overnight parking. Alas, many Walmart store change managers like we change socks, so it's not unusual for the policy to switch back and forth, sometimes within weeks.

The only time I was kicked out of a Walmart was in Oklahoma City because the store had just gotten a new manager the week before who changed the policy: they now allowed RVs to overnight but not vans.

I had heard that Walmarts in Arizona are generally pretty uptight about it, so I stayed in Cracker Barrels the whole time I was in AZ.

Add Thank You Reply
Re: Microwaves

I'm going to assume that one thing many people miss is the microwave dinners.  When I used to do a lot more hiking and backpacking, I would take along the dinners.  After about 2 hours, they had thawed enough to eat.  Not the MOST delicious thing you've ever had, but WAY better than just edible! 

Not exactly the solution you're after, Lenny, but something to consider.  Or not.   Big Grin

Again, we're talking about having been on a trail for a few hours.  Tree bark tastes good after a while.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to pnolans for this post:
lenny flank (09-24-2017)
(09-24-2017, 01:26 PM)lenny flank Wrote: Pre-thawing is also helpful with stove cooking. When I am making a frozen stir-fry dinner from Walmart, or frozen pierogies, or even a steak, I always let the package sit in the van till it's thawed. Cooks a lot faster and easier.

I was thinking about doing the same thing!
Add Thank You Reply
lenny flank (09-24-2017)
(09-24-2017, 01:23 PM)lenny flank Wrote: How many watts of panel: what size inverter: how much ah in the battery bank?

When and if he tells you, it will amaze and befuddle you.. ie, how much solar power Jim is pulling around!  

Big Grin

hint: It's a LOT.
Add Thank You Reply
lenny flank (09-24-2017)
Pat

I don't think he was asking me.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
pnolans (09-24-2017), lenny flank (09-24-2017)
(09-24-2017, 04:18 PM)jimindenver Wrote: Pat

I don't think he was asking me.

But now my curiosity is piqued......?

Wink

Add Thank You Reply
(09-24-2017, 01:31 PM)lenny flank Wrote: It is up to the individual store manager whether or not to allow overnight parking.

Well, that's only party true.

In an area with prohibited overnight parking (city ordinances, zoning laws, etc) it doesn't matter if the store manager allows it or not.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply