Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the Emphasis on Extreme Efficiency
I notice a lot of RV dwellers emphasize extreme efficiency on their rigs. This is not to belittle anybody, however do realize most of us are living in the cheapest digs short of being totally homeless.
With the savings from eschewing conventional housing, why put so much emphasis on fuel economy, heating & cooling costs, fridge efficiency?

For example:
-For the average electric bill for a 1000 sq ft dwelling, you can run the generator as much as you want. Yes generator power can cost upwards of $.40 a kWh but compared to a conventional dwelling you still come out ahead.
-For the average water bill for a 1000 sq ft conventional dwelling, you can buy all your water at $.25 cents a gallon and still come out ahead.
-For the average heating bill to heat a 1000 sq ft conventional dwelling, one can keep a van warm 24/7 with zero insulation and still come out ahead.
-For the fuel a commuter burns cumulatively at 6000 miles a year, you can go anywhere you want in North America & still come out ahead.

Why skimp, scrimp, and scrounge while RV living? Why effectively trade one set of deprevations for another set of deprivations? Why trade deprivations like working full time just to pay the rent or mortgage, not having time for family and friends, HOA disputes for deprivations like roughing it (if this isn't your thing), making things work because you refuse to solve the problem with money, water use disputes because you have 30 gallons of freshwater that has to last 2 weeks? You’ve substantially reduced housing and energy costs by living in a small space on wheels. Especially if you don’t have a 2 hour roundtrip commute 5 days a week that burns up the fuel budget.

I understand many people enter van or RV life because they don't have money or are being evicted. Or they have very little money to live with, and some spend their last dollars to buy a van, to avoid being totally homeless. There is nothing wrong with this, and for those living these circumstances; I wish you the best, your means to rise and your life to stop sucking.

Life is not about living so cheaply that one misses out on memorable experiences. There is no need to be a extreme cheapskate unless it’s genuinely need driven.

The gist of this post is that there is more to life than relentless minor tweaking to make your life hyper resource “efficient”.
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Time saved is Time Banked* & value added.  *in quality of life context.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to debit.servus for this post:
Reno (09-26-2017)
Ahhhh, you miss the point.

You think I am suffering or sacrificing comfort? You haven't seen my trailer set up yet then. Outside of unlimited running water and sewer I have everything except a washer and dryer. Personally I like the laundromat because it takes less time.

First thing is becoming efficient in ways that do not cause you to sacrifice. Simple choices in appliances, lights, TV's ect can make it so you need much less power. hence less battery bank and solar/alternate charging. Taking on water conservation methods that still get the dishes clean and you a hot shower means the fresh water and waste tanks stretch farther. It really boils down to not sacrificing but not being wasteful either.

So is it all about cost? No. In my case it is about being able to have my resources stretch for as long as possible before I need to go into town and replenish. You mentioned running a generator as much as you want but without a huge gas tank you will be running into town for gas a lot if you do that. That isn't bad unless you are in a area where the closest gas station is over a hour round trip.

The other thing is who is to say one is sacrificing or suffering? Most people I have met have made the things they do to stretch their resources second nature. It isn't sacrificing it is just a different way of doing it for whatever reason. Should some part of it becomes tedious you can change your resource to accommodate.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
duckwonder (09-26-2017), Queen (09-26-2017), Every Road Leads Home (09-26-2017)
My thoughts as l read the OP was 'he hasn't seen Jim's setup'.  Efficient and comfortable.
1997 Thor Windsport 34' Class A

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to shadowmoss for this post:
jimindenver (09-26-2017)
Maybe its their hobby. I sometimes dwell on rabbit hole thoughts(not the furry animal holes) because I enjoy going there. Might drive other people nuts if they did the same thing. However, I'm already nuts so there's that.
96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
frater secessus (12-13-2017)
I think you think people put much more emphasis on those things than they actually do. It's a reoccurring theme of yours that everyone that vehicle dwells pinchies every penny possible by trying to get the most mpg's possible or they build the most extreme light weight vehicle possible and go with out comfort items in order to save even more weight and I've just never seen that to be true. In fact, I've always seen the exact opposite, most people in lower mpg rigs carrying a lot of extra stuff not commonly needed, I am an over carrier of stuff myself.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
gsfish (09-26-2017), jimindenver (09-26-2017)
+100 with Jim!

And the OP hasn't seen my set up either...completely different from Jims' but still, the last thing I do is suffer or sacrifice...although small children come to mind about the sacrifice bit.... Big Grin 

I have everything I need and nothing I don't!.

I run this place with both electrical and water efficiency in mind at least partly because of wanting to do my little part for the environment. The other part is because I CAN!!
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
tx2sturgis (09-26-2017)
(09-26-2017, 12:13 PM)Almost There Wrote: I have everything I need and nothing I don't!.

Someday, I hope to be able to achieve this!

Wink
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(09-26-2017, 12:13 PM)Almost There Wrote: although small children come to mind about the sacrifice bit.... Big Grin 

I am going to have to watch you this Halloween aren't I. Tongue
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
As Shakespeare would put it, to Scrooge or not to Scrooge, that is the question.
It's all about attitude, perception and focus. 

OP is saying there is more to life than pinching pennies if your missing out. True, yet debatable to an individual's perception and preference. Everyone has their own values. And mostly, like opinions, not going to change. I call it the chocolate or vanilla ice cream debate. Which is better? Both are fine. Doesn't matter and pointless. Make your own choices, don't judge and like the bumper sticker says, Coexist.

OP sees it as limiting in quality of life and to a certain extent, it is or can be. To his values, it is. To each his own.

Maybe seen in another way, not so much.
Last year, visiting the Pacific, I was mesmerized by the grace and beauty of pelicans in flight as they glided effortlessly just barely over a wave. Following that wave down the beach, they were the epitome of perfect efficiency in their method and technique. Everday at sunset, they would glide from their day spot to their overnight resting spot and I would just absorb this spectacle and try to perfectly capture in a picture.
 It just blew my mind how these unsightly birds had evolved their instinct to optimize with its environment and nature.
 Something we could all use as an example to learn from.
Next time you see extreme efficiency, instead of thinking it's Scrooge and limiting, think of the grace and efficiency of birds, gliding in flight.
https://youtu.be/X1vEeqB5MYY
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Minivanmotoman for this post:
frater secessus (12-13-2017), Cancan (12-12-2017)
My initial thought(s) when I first opened the thread was; while expenses are (usually) greatly reduced when living a mobile lifestyle, often so is a person's income ...
"Having the gumption to live different and the sense to let everybody else live different.  That's the hardest thing, hands down." --- Alice Venable Middleton
Add Thank You Reply