Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you LOVE coffee?
I have had very few great cups of coffee in my life.

I bought green beans and roasted them, etc., yet the best coffee that I could make was never as good as the few great cups that I bought.

(Please do not recommend Charbucks! )

What coffee do you make and where do you buy it?

Do you grind?

How do you brew it?  I use pour over.

If it is great coffee, I drink it black.

Less than great, I have to doctor it up with lightener and with sweetener.

Any recommendations?
Add Thank You Reply
No recommendations here.

Perhaps I'm a bit odd, but I have a fondness for stale diner coffee.
Add Thank You Reply
I drink instant....20 Years in the Army made it an acquired taste. My philosophy is there’s no such thing as a bad cup of coffee, just some better than others. Smile
Bob
2016 Ford Transit 2500, 130" WB, Mid roof
Full time since Aug 2016
Add Thank You Reply
^ Haha, I served in the army too and I was never happy with either the chow hall coffee or instant packs in MRE bags.

For a fast food place when I don't have anything else, Chick-fil-A has a decent coffee imo. I drink black mostly, so I could really tell (vs say, McDonalds). I used to also work for starbucks and I agree that most of their flavor is "dark" ish for most folks. There are flavors which doesn't taste charred. Forgot which. Been almost 12 years since.

For coffee shops, I've had great experiences with local coffee brewers.

For every morning before work type, I usually go with Green Mountain(for taste to cost ratio) on regular brewer, French press when I have time. I've also tried old percolators, but taste wise I like French press better. I've tried Death Wish brand for that extra Kick. had similar charred taste you are talking about, but woke me up alright. Big Grin

For the Kcup folks, Costco big boxes are good value and taste better than Walmart brand.
Veteran's benefits:https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/
Apply: http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/Applying.asp
PM me
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to sometimesido for this post:
DataHoarder (01-08-2018), BobBski (10-12-2017)
I like Tim Horton's coffee a lot but alas, the chain isn't as popular here as it is in Canada.
Add Thank You Reply
Tried the coffee snob thing about thirty years ago. Now it's Max House Original all the way and straight up. I use a drip basket in the field and the same in my coffee maker at home. In this way I always know what I will be drinking.

Second worse cup I've had was from a Starbucks in NYC. I more or less had to explain what a black cup of plain coffee was. HA!

Must have caffeine in some way or suffer the consequences.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
BobBski (10-12-2017), frater secessus (10-01-2017), speedhighway46 (09-29-2017)
GsFish...Maxwell House is my instant of choice Smile
Bob
2016 Ford Transit 2500, 130" WB, Mid roof
Full time since Aug 2016
Add Thank You Reply

My non electric electric method:
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Boyntonstu for this post:
slynne (09-30-2017)
I have to have coffee! I make it in a percolator on the stove. I use a regular coffee filter in the percolator to reduce grounds. Then I sprinkle cinnamon on the grounds before percing. A lot of times after the coffee has been perc'd, I will add one packet of hot cocoa to the pot and stir it good. Perc'd coffee is best for me when it has percolated about 2-3 mins. Much more than that and it gets to bitter.
96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
GypsySpirit (11-21-2017)
I worship at the altar of coffee, but like many things in my life, my devotion follows a pendulum swing where I'll go from roasting and grinding beans and measuring water temp... to using a $30 Mr. Coffee and pre-gound Starbucks Espresso Roast. It's never quite made the swing all the way back over to diner coffee, but I could see it happening.
“If the words you spoke appeared on your skin, would you still be beautiful?”
~ Auliq Ice
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Queen for this post:
duckwonder (09-29-2017), sometimesido (09-29-2017)