Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you LOVE coffee?
I love Coffee and am forever chasing that perfect cup. I sometimes use a Keurig but I use reusable cups so I can put in the beans of my choosing, i've yet to find any of the disposable Keurig options that I truly like.

Most days I french press my coffee, it doesn't take that long and it's easily adaptable to life on the road.

This is the press i've been using for the last 4 years and I really like it. Also good for traveling as it's not glass and won't break.
https://www.amazon.com/Secura-Stainless-...ench+press

I also have this one for backpacking, nothing better than a good cup of coffee on a multi day backpacking trip.
https://www.campsaver.com/snow-peak-tita...press.html

As far as beans go, I'm always looking for good ones, don't have a favorite at the moment, def going to order some of the suggestions on this thread.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
duckwonder (09-30-2017)
(09-30-2017, 07:39 AM)Cammalu Wrote: I buy a Costa Rica coffee that is smooth and delicious

Alas, I've been to Costa Rica and seen how the workers on those plantations (mostly immigrants from Nicaragua) are treated.....

Though I imagine they probably aren't treated better anywhere else either.

Sad

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
(09-30-2017, 08:43 AM)TexasWoman Wrote: Amazing to me how many people can't function without their coffee.

I can,  but don't want to. ...   Big Grin Tongue
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to pnolans for this post:
Every Road Leads Home (09-30-2017)
I like my coffee but I just use a percolator. it's simple and easy. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
duckwonder (09-30-2017)
I buy fresh roasted beans from a local shop, grind with a burr grinder, brew in an unbreakable double wall SS french press...yummy!
Use search function to find the many posts on this subject.

For a coffee inspired laugh, here is Denis Leary..."Coffee Flavored Coffee"...warning, very nasty language.

Big Grin
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues;
Just you wait and see.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to johnny b for this post:
JannaB (10-01-2017), dextours (10-01-2017), Sleep (10-01-2017)
Yes I do love my morning coffee and have been trying to decide how to make it on the road. I thought since I would/could use a tea kettle for water I could use one of the pour over methods and not purchase a camp peculator.  Sorry but I do like MickyD's coffee. Blush
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Sleep for this post:
Cammalu (10-01-2017)
I never drank coffee UNTIL the organic whole bean I found 3 years ago. o.M.g. sooo good! Visiting family and company says I've never tasted coffee this good. I am a coffee snob with this stuff!

it's a secret btw.
Exclamation And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. — Abraham Lincoln
Add Thank You Reply
A secret? Whyever for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
For my tastebuds, the best coffee is made in a press.  But in the last year I have been changing my approach a bit for two reasons:

1. presses are hard enough to clean in a kitchen with endless water.  I don't want to do that in a van.
  2. the press' lack of filter passes through the yummy oils that are said to increase cholesterol levels.  Life is unfair.   Sad   And my my primary has started scolding me about my levels.
So I've started putting the grounds in a widemouth pint mason jar, [holding for 5 minutes] then pouring it all into a melitta pour-over with a coffee filter in it.   Easier and less water-intensive to wash but still not optimal.

What I really want is the simplicity of the melitta + filter but with the added ability to brew the coffee in standing hot water for 5mins without pouring over in real time. Does anyone make something like that?

My first instinct is to glue a small piece of rubber to a popsicle stick and wedge it through the viewing ports in the melitta to block the outlet nipple.  After five minutes I'd move the rubber seal and the brewed coffee would flow through.  Here is a shot of the side with the outlet nipple visible:

[Image: Melitta-Pour-Over-Coffee-Maker.jpg]

If it works I'd refine the design and materials.
frater/jason @ RTR 1000ft E of main camp on "dark blue" road
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
(09-30-2017, 03:46 PM)pnolans Wrote: I can,  but don't want to. ...   Big Grin Tongue

haha!.  I can but no one else wants me to.  :-P

[Image: 41v4V4i1MLL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg]
frater/jason @ RTR 1000ft E of main camp on "dark blue" road
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
GypsySpirit (11-21-2017), gargoyle (10-07-2017), pnolans (10-01-2017)