Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where does the poo go?
I am curious to find out where others dump their waste from poop buckets, bags or whatever system has been used. I have only spent three nights in my van so far and I used public restrooms in town except for night pee which went into a plastic jug which I dumped in morning in a store toilet. I wasn't able to wash out the jug in public restroom which makes that method unsanitary so not practical except as a short term solution.  In the city or out in nature, dumping toilet waste is my main concern about staying in a van for more than a few days. All replies appreciated.
Add Thank You Reply
City - public trash can.
Boondocking - dig a hole.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
JeriLynn (10-01-2017)
I can't help you out with the city issue as I have an RV with a toilet and use it to pee in (no poop or TP) and if necessary can use public toilets.

In the country, except for some desert locations, I pee outside and poop in a hole (if no toilets close by)...just don't bury bags. I carry a short-handled shovel to help with digging holes. I'm a backpacker so used to it. You can dump a pee jug anywhere in the backcountry but often it's just easier to drop your drawers and pee on the ground.

Oh, and pee is fairly sterile so if you let it air dry and sit in the sun it will be fine.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
SaadowGorl (12-16-2017), JeriLynn (10-01-2017)
The problem is everyone in this country thinks flushing waste down a toilet is the only way, solves all the problems and doesn't pollute therefore all sorts of things get put into toilets and become someone else's problem that shouldn't be put there. Out houses were the standard in times past and before that a cat hole made sure you kept your hair and helped keep game in the area. It amazes me that we promote putting diapers and dog poop in plastic bags in the trash, again becoming someone else's problem. Dig a hole where allowed the proper depth and cover it up, dilute and spread, or add bleach water then put it in the trash. Public restrooms are just that, a can of spray disinfectant makes it sanitary before and after. If you have a problem a little food coloring may make it easier for you.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
JeriLynn (10-01-2017)
Get a 3 gallon bucket with a screw top lid line it with a plastic bag a bungie cord to hold the bag in place get buy some peat moss, put about a 2" layer at the bottom store it in another 3 Gallon bucket with a screw (gamma) lid. do not I repeat do not mix urine with poo if you do this method will not work for you and pee in a plastic bottle before you poo. Home Depot has gamma lids after you do it add some more peat moss and screw the lid back on I have easily done 2-3 weeks without dumping
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
bpdchief (12-20-2017), JeriLynn (10-01-2017)
I bag it and dump it in any convenient trash can or dumpster. It's no different than a baby diaper.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
If you can separate the pee from poop... toss a handful of red worms in the poop and you have humanure composting which will reduce the amount you have to dispose of. Course, if they don't like the environment they will leave. Escape is a bit traumatic for those who don't like to harvest little squirming things that must be picked up with gloves and the area decontaminated.
1997 Class B Dodge van 3500.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bigsallysmom for this post:
JeriLynn (10-01-2017)
Research derived advice to bushwalkers in Tasmania (Australia) is to defecate in hole about 200 mm deep. Toilet paper should be placed on top of the solids before urinating on and over the toilet paper and solids. The hole should not be too deep as high loads of desirable bacteria and organisms are close to the surface of the ground, in a location that regularly gets frost in the winter. The wet environment provided by the urine helps the decomposition process. A rock or tree branch will minimise the chance a small animal will dig there.

The porta pottie in the campervan is emptied in a dump point, usually, and in a seriously deep hole if in the bush if a dump point is not close. I normally use a pee bottle to reserve the capacity of the porta pottie.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Ticklebellly for this post:
SaadowGorl (12-16-2017), wheels (10-01-2017), JeriLynn (10-01-2017)
(09-30-2017, 10:29 PM)Ticklebellly Wrote: The porta pottie in the campervan is emptied in a dump point, usually, and in a seriously deep hole if in the bush if a dump point is not close.   I normally use a pee bottle to reserve the capacity of the porta pottie.

Bolding is mine.

Do NOT, repeat DO NOT dump a porta pottie that has had chemicals used in it, in a hole anywhere!

The chemicals are meant only for disposal in a sewage treatment system. They are extremely harmful to the environment.

"Some of the most common chemicals used in the holding tank are bromine, formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde."

"The chemicals contained in standard portable toilets cannot completely disinfect human waste. In addition, these chemicals are highly toxic to humans and wildlife alike. For these reason, the contents of a porta potty cannot be released directly into groundwater, and must be processed by an appropriate wastewater system."

If you're going to be THAT far away from civilization for that long, that you aren't able to properly dispose of the contents of your porta pottie then, please, for the love of the environment, quit using the porta potty and go dig single use cat holes, pee in a jug, invest in an environmentally friendly toilet system, do something other than pollute!!
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
SondraRose (11-01-2017), Minivanmotoman (10-20-2017), JeriLynn (10-02-2017)
Read AT's post again, it's important.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
Almost There (10-01-2017)