Request for a subforum
Just add "and Health" to Personal Hygiene's title
Add Thank You Reply
Good point John, certainly a more appropriate begin point for a health related search than the "Topics that don't fit in other areas".
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
(10-27-2017, 09:16 AM)wagoneer Wrote: OUCH
So how would we "wannabes" get our questions answered? These forums have given me a great education, now printed and stored in a 3" thick binder. It will be my bible when I start preparing my rig, whatever it turns out to be. I am going to RTR with a tent. Do you mean I shouldn't be able to get feedback on questions about RTR? Please don't exclude those of us who need help. Sometimes I don't even realize I need something until a posting in a forum tells me I do.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-04-2017, 09:03 AM)Weight Wrote: I don't think anyone that is not living in a van should post anything. Smile

I hope you are not serious about that, because that sounds a lot like the whole reason most us are looking for a way out of this rat race. If you want to turn the forum into a good old boys club and dictate who says what, I probably wont be interested.
casper
Save
Add Thank You Reply
Mert, nobody is going to exclude anyone. That was just a smart alekie post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
mert6706 (11-03-2017)
yep no one is going to be excluded. you can live however you choose, you can drive any vehicle you want, you can walk, or you can ride a bike, hell you can even ride a horse. all are welcome. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
duckwonder (11-08-2017), mert6706 (11-03-2017), Cammalu (10-28-2017), cyndi (10-27-2017)
(10-04-2017, 09:03 AM)Weight Wrote: I don't think anyone that is not living in a van should post anything. Smile

Well this isn't just a van dweller forum, although it makes you wonder how many of the 5,600 members actually LIVE in ANY kind of RV.  There is a difference between living and camping or living in a vehicle and just wondering how it would be to live in a vehicle. Like the riddle goes -"three frogs were sitting on a log.  Two decided to jump in the water.  How many frogs got wet? None, of course. Deciding is not the same as doing.

Even the term 'rubber tramp' refers to people who live on the road.  It's not trying to get away from work for a week to camp in a tent at RTR.  That's like trying to get a picture into a museum because you once took an art class.

It makes you think about what a forum made up of strictly van dwellers would look like.  Probably pretty sparse.  There's only so many things you can talk about. The whole topic could be covered in a single page 'how-to'.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ship of the Desert for this post:
mert6706 (11-03-2017)
That's so wrong.

First off there are hundreds of thousands of Americans forced to fulltime in vehicles, trailers, RVs, due to relative poverty.

Then there are thousands doing it as a nomad lifestyle choice maybe most just for a few months or years, but it's been a rapidly growing trend in the current zeitgeist.

As to complexity, huge volumes of information are needed by most starting out, as to how to be comfortable, have all the modern conveniences in a small space and often on a minimum budget.

And that grows exponentially in a mobile context, and even more so when boondocking off the grid.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
mert6706 (11-03-2017)
When I made my last move, six years ago, I swore that the next time would be far different.  I needed a large sized U-Haul, as well as a bunch of back and forth with my car, to get everything into my new place.  It was my forth move in five years, and they were all bad.  The really bad part was knowing that a lot of this stuff was nothing more than dead weight that I didn’t really need anymore-if in fact I ever really needed it.

So I decided that in my next move, whenever it might be, I’d take no more than could fit into the smallest U-Haul truck-402 cubic feet of storage.  I know from past experience in helping people move that such a truck can be filled up surprisingly (and unexpectedly) fast.

I used to work for a moving company, and have worked in peoples houses for the better part of  30 years, and I can state, without the slightest doubt, that the vast majority of people have way, way, way too much stuff, and it is a drag on them both physically and emotionally.

Finally, I think I’ve reached the point where that small truck would do the job.  But my perspective has changed in the last six years, and having a full truck load of stuff, which at one time I would have considered minimal, now seems excessive.  I don’t know if I’ll ever van dwell, or even if it would be a good situation for me, but getting to the point of being able to if needed appeals to me greatly-and has become my new goal.

Most of the people that read this forum aren’t, and probably never will, live in a vehicle.  But I think it’s safe to say that they have a goal/need to simplify  their lives, for any number of compelling reasons.  So this is my long winded way of agreeing with the OP that having a sub-forum somewhere that deals with getting ready to go on the road, and/or physically making the transition, would be a very good idea.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to KroFlite for this post:
mert6706 (11-03-2017), tx2sturgis (11-03-2017)
(11-03-2017, 09:09 AM)KroFlite Wrote: So this is my long winded way of agreeing with the OP that having a sub-forum somewhere that deals with getting ready to go on the road, and/or physically making the transition, would be a very good idea.

I'll drink to that!

Big Grin 

In my case, making the transition is FAR more difficult than setting up the vehicle to actually live in.

The last part I've done, the first part, I'm still working on!
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply