Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traveling with pets into Mexico, Canada
Hello, I'm preparing for a lot of rv-ing after I retire in January, maybe even full timing. In addition to traveling through the western US, I'd like to be able to travel into Mexico and Canada, but I have a dog and 2 finches. I've tried to find info online about what is needed to pass over the border with pets, but didn't find anything that really spelled it out for me. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has personal experience in this instance, and any recommendations/preparations I should take into account. Thank you very much.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-07-2017, 12:02 PM)evenkeel Wrote: Hello, I'm preparing for a lot of rv-ing after I retire in January, maybe even full timing. In addition to traveling through the western US, I'd like to be able to travel into Mexico and Canada, but I have a dog and 2 finches. I've tried to find info online about what is needed to pass over the border with pets, but didn't find anything that really spelled it out for me. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has personal experience in this instance, and any recommendations/preparations I should take into account. Thank you very much.

I was researching going to Canada for next year as I have to go through it on my way to Alaska. What I found was that you need proof of current vaccinations for the dogs, all of them including rabies, a health certificate from the vet, and from my understanding dog food has to be in it's original bag...I think it is okay to have been opened. The same information would be required coming back.

I can't help as far as the birds go but I suspect you may not be able to cross the borders with bird seed/food due to contamination issues...I worked in a seed processing plant and we had to jump through some serious hoops to ship seed across borders, both north and south.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
evenkeel (10-07-2017)
(10-07-2017, 02:01 PM)DuneElliot Wrote: I was researching going to Canada for next year as I have to go through it on my way to Alaska. What I found was that you need proof of current vaccinations for the dogs, all of them including rabies, a health certificate from the vet, and from my understanding dog food has to be in it's original bag...I think it is okay to have been opened. The same information would be required coming back.

To take my cats into Canada all I needed was a rabies certificate and I got them their shots a couple days before I crossed the border.  Border guards were unconcerned about the food.
Life in the slow lane:  https://rigadoonrv.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jester for this post:
evenkeel (10-07-2017)
(10-07-2017, 02:56 PM)jester Wrote: To take my cats into Canada all I needed was a rabies certificate and I got them their shots a couple days before I crossed the border.  Border guards were unconcerned about the food.

Good to know too. I was just going on my research and what I'd read...no actual experience in crossing the border.

My dogs are up to date on vaccines although I don't do them every year, just when the rabies vaccine is due (we over-vaccinate our animals).
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
evenkeel (10-07-2017)
Thank you very much to everyone who replied! I appreciate all your in put.
Add Thank You Reply
Here's your info on the birds:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terr...6661329675

Not sure if the finches are  considered 'pet birds' or  not, maybe best to call BCSA directly and ask. I've always found them to be helpful when presented with a question.

And here's the rules for the dog.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terr...1876307796

Here's the specific rules for dog food

Personal Imports
Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:
  • The pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged.
  • The pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.
  • The animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry.
  • The imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
evenkeel (10-08-2017), Zardor (10-08-2017)
I believe the health certificates are only good for 30 days.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
evenkeel (10-08-2017)
In 2012, I did the Alaska thing.  Here is what was required for dogs.

Canada required only current rabies certificate.

Alaska required a health certificate, less than 30 days old, signed by a USDA certified vet.  (ASK!  Not all vets are USDA certified.) and yes, when I entered Alaska, they asked to see all those documents.

Every US state has its own state vet.  Each state may have different rules.  So when you return, you need to be in compliance with whichever state's rules in which you enter (from Canada). Plan in advance.  Washington state required only the rabies certificate.  If you have questions, call that state's vet.  And talk to the actual vet!  The first time I called the Alaska state vet's office, I was given wrong info.  I was told my state vet had to sign the health certificate also.  I went to my state vet's office, he refused to sign, said he didn't need to.  From there, I called the Alaska vet and he agreed.

Don't know about birds.  Do not trust what you read online, even my info here is from 2012 and may have changed.  Call the state vet!  The CDC controls all of this in the US and even they couldn't answer my questions.

Best wishes!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Stargazer for this post:
evenkeel (10-08-2017)
Thank you so much! I'm going to 'dig into' all these great resources.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-07-2017, 08:37 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: I believe the health certificates are only good for 30 days.

My vet just told me this too during our visit about two weeks ago.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to UmpquaTim for this post:
evenkeel (10-15-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pets & Los Algodones, Mexico ? Richard 9 1,539 02-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Last Post: TrainChaser
  traveling with pets graydawg 14 4,198 08-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Last Post: She