Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City vandwelling advices (Orlando)
Hey Kernel, I don't know if you are still around but I have stayed in Orlando several times. I recommend the new train station in Pine Castle. You can park there as long as you want and there is a Dennys and a McDonalds in the same lot. Both open 24/7. If Seminole county is more your bag, there is a Wal-mart on Forest City road that has a Panera, a McDonalds, and a StarBucks all in the same lot. That lot is very shady with lots of nice trees. I have stayed in that lot for several days at a time with no issues. There are lots of good places to park there and some places to definitely avoid. The Wal-Mart on 17-92 in Sanford is a good place to stay intermittently. Don't try it long term though.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wanderingfreeman for this post:
Txjaybird (11-22-2017)
It will be ok for the next few months but come April watch out. It gets frickin hot and humid here. U could run a generator with a portable ac unit, but will for sure attract attention. I don't know about orlando, but here in Tampa the rv parks and hotels try to make it hard for us vandwellers. That's why I'm leaving to go out west next summer after I graduate. When I was in Miami last summer I did see a lot of vandwellers with generators running and the cops left them alone. Not sure about orlando.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-09-2017, 08:06 PM)Calibound Wrote:  I don't know about orlando, but here in Tampa the rv parks and hotels try to make it hard for us vandwellers. 

Ex-Tampa Bay-ite here....  The difficulties with van-dwellers in Tampa Bay aren't because of tourist hotels--it's because the Tampa Bay area has some of the most vindictive anti-homeless laws in the country. In St Pete it is illegal to "recline" in a park--not just sleep, or camp, but "recline". And I'm sure you remember when the cops went through the homeless camps a few years back slashing everyone's tent with knives so they couldn't be used again.

Tampa Bay is a magnet for homeless people, and the cities there don't want it. Hence all the anti-parking, anti-camping, anti-sleeping, anti-everything ordinances.

When I first started out van-dwelling, I spent a month in St Pete just to test out all the systems to make sure everything was working OK. I could park overnight because I knew the places to go. It'd be tough for a non-local, though.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
What about all those bugs in Orlando.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-28-2017, 02:06 PM)GrayWhale Wrote: What about all those bugs in Orlando.

Window screens. Make your own with velcro or hold down with magnets
Add Thank You Reply