Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rousted in Oklahoma!
Called and got permission to overnight park in an Oklahoma City Walmart, was rousted by an unfriendly security guard after settling into bed. I told him I had permission, but he wasn't having it.

This is my first "big" trip, from NY to AZ, sleeping in Walmarts or Cracker Barrels, using the Allstays app, and this is the first time I've had a problem. Kind of glad it happened, now I know what it feels like!

He cleared out the entire area, there was a 5th wheel and some smaller trucks. There was an Office Depot right next door with vans already parked, spent a restless night there.

Not a big deal, except I'll be skipping this area on the way home. Lesson learned.
"Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." ~ Erica Jong
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to CoachOnTheRoad for this post:
UptownSport (10-10-2017)
So, staying at Walmart's in Oklahoma is not OK, LoL
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to UptownSport for this post:
duckwonder (10-10-2017), gsfish (10-10-2017)
^
Yeah, many of the WMs in urban areas have security guards but not so in smaller cities where you should be OK. One Sunday night in Phoenix I was rousted by security but I told him I had to buy a new tire and needed to wait until the Tire & Express opened in the morning. He bought it and left me alone. Thing was, I really did need to buy a new tire before I continued on to the Slabs.

BTW: Not all WMs sell tires, so that ploy won't work everywhere...
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
If the Wal-Mart is in a shopping center with other stores their landlord owns and controls the parking lot.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-10-2017, 09:22 AM)CoachOnTheRoad Wrote: Called and got permission to overnight park in an Oklahoma City Walmart, was rousted by an unfriendly security guard after settling into bed. 

The one on Reno? I got bounced out of there too a few months ago. They had just gotten a new manager and changed their policy to allow RVs to park overnight but not vans (I presume some idiot did something stupid to piss them off, like dump their pee bottle in the parking lot).

But my security dude was friendly, suggested I park at a Cracker Barrel nearby instead, and pointed out a science museum in a neighboring town that I should go see.  Smile

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
Some will disagree with me on this, but, this is one of many reasons I say never bother asking permission to park. Some places won't enforce even if it's not allowed, some will say it's okay only to enforce to the contrary later, it may be illegal and they don't know, etc.

Especially if it's a Wal-Mart. If it's a Wal-Mart and there are vehicles camping out then that's as much assurance as you're going to get.

I would still take street parking or a park n' ride over Wal-Mart though.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
I never ask. In many Walmarts they don't actually own the lot and can't give legal permission anyway, so it's a waste of time.

Walmart's corporate policy is to allow overnight parking. If the store doesn't follow that policy, they are welcome to knock on my window and tell me so. I'll move promptly and cheerfully.

I prefer Walmart-camping for all the convenience----it's a reliable source of food, water, bathroom, wifi, and anything else I might need. All within walking distance.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
mert6706 (11-07-2017)
If it had been me, I might have reminded him of all the Okies who slept wherever they could as they fled the Dust Bowl and headed to California. Big Grin
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Ok mr security !
I'll leave now.
But before I go.................
Would you be a nice guy and ask your manager where would be a good place to go for the $100-200 of groceries and other things I need ?
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
free2enjoy (01-11-2018), mert6706 (11-07-2017), Thirsty Boots Nomad (10-10-2017)
The only time I've been asked to leave a parking lot of a store which did not overtly forbid overnight parking was at a Lowe's, where I had just spent around $350 hours earlier. I figured that entitled me to stay a bit. The highschool-looking girl in a vest who approached me evidently thought otherwise.

The conversation after her initial approach went like this:
"I just spent $350 on materials and I'm here working them into my van, but if you'd like me to leave I will."
"Yes, I would like you to leave."
"Okay, so tomorrow I can return these ladders and get my $350 back?"
"Sure just save your receipt!"
"Great, go fuck yourself."

I don't know if you all know this about me, but I pride myself on my skills as a diplomat.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 8 users say Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
free2enjoy (01-11-2018), GettinHitchy (01-10-2018), Technomad (01-10-2018), mert6706 (11-07-2017), mayble (10-12-2017), gsfish (10-10-2017), BobBski (10-10-2017), rvpopeye (10-10-2017)