Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Portable Toilets
Well I have 3 different toilets. I have the reliance toilet from Walmart that is nearly impossible to fold down, I have a porta potty that is quite expensive and have to use chemicals and special toilet paper and then I have a cheap bucket from Home Depot with a gamma lid that is cheap and works good with cheap Walmart garbage bags. The cheapest one is the best one for me. I was paying $12 just for bags which you only got 6 for the reliance toilet. Conclusion the diy bucket with gamma lid was the best for me and held the odors in. Use Walmart bags with a little cedar in it and it is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
I came a armed to this way of life with a 5 gallon bucket. After a year never used it once. Just a shovel and its all good.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
I use 2 x 3 gallon buckets both with gamma lids and pee in a separate container using peat moss as a absorbent and smell checker. (doing this for years.) With a toilet seat attached to a wood box comfy.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
please never bury plastic. biodegradable or not, don't bury it. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Yes usually labeled as such doesn't mean it will, unless sitting out in sun and open air.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-22-2017, 11:29 PM)Kia girl Wrote: Well I have 3 different toilets.  I have the reliance toilet from Walmart that is nearly impossible to fold down, I have a porta potty that is quite expensive and have to use chemicals and special toilet paper and then I have a cheap bucket from Home Depot with a gamma lid that is cheap and works good with cheap Walmart garbage bags.  The cheapest one is the best one for me.  I was paying $12 just for bags which you only got 6 for the reliance toilet. Conclusion the diy bucket with gamma lid was the best for me and held the odors in.   Use Walmart bags with a little cedar in it and it is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a pair of dikes and snip off those little clips which help key the legs from folding. 
Since the legs drop into cups when unfolded they aren't needed and just make life difficult.
Then just use doubles up small garbage bags and cedar/pine shavings or kitty litter.
There is no replacement for: Research, Planning, Training, and Practical Experience
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gideon33w for this post:
Kia girl (10-23-2017)
I am building my own separating toilet based loosely on the C-Head toilet design and incorporates ideas of the simple 5 gallon pail as well.  I custom designed it and custom built the box that will house to components.  I even custom made the toilet seat out of wood the will have a tight fitting lid to control any odour.   I need to add a small handle to this lid as yet plus add hinges as required to access the interior.                      
(I'm  sorry these photos show up sideways.  If you click on them the view right way up though.)

I also built a tight fitting lid that fits on the top of all which I will add foam and a vinyl cover so the whole contraption becomes a stool.  The whole thing will be on either casters or locking swivel wheels so that it becomes a multiuse piece of furniture.   It will be secured while I am driving the van.

The box needs to be sanded, primed and painted as yet.  I am planning on using an alkyd enamel paint on the wood to make giving it a thorough cleaning easier.  I think that alkyd paint dries harder and is more durable.  Latex paint would be easier to use though.
I am camperizing a 2010 GMC Savana 3500 extended cargo van mostly on my own.  This process has been a HUGE learning curve!  I'm making most of it up as I go.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Elaine K for this post:
HDRUSS (11-02-2017), bullfrog (10-25-2017), wasanah2 (10-24-2017)
(10-22-2017, 11:00 PM)Gideon33w Wrote: Casper - Venting the bucket if possible is always preferable to using something to keep it all sealed up tight . . .

That must be why vault toilets don't smell.

The key to minimizing smell is separating urine and feces (guys have it easier than girls).  I have had up to 18 days of deposits in my bucket with gamma seal lid, detecting no smell in the camper.  I put a bed of pine needles into the bottom of the bucket as a cover scent for when opening to add to the collection.  And I put a little sawdust into the bag to absorb any drips or dribbles.
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply
(10-24-2017, 09:12 AM)Elaine K Wrote: I am building my own separating toilet based loosely on the C-Head toilet design and incorporates ideas of the simple 5 gallon pail as well.  I custom designed it and custom built the box that will house to components.

EXCELLENT build, Elaine!  I'm impressed with that.  Thanks for all the pix too because it's easy to see what you're doing.
Add Thank You Reply
I was just concerned that you're burying those red biohazard bags.  I think what you mean is that you have biodegradable bags.  Glad you aren't burying those red plastic bags.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations on portable flush toilets please citytravelfotos 9 2,613 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Willy