Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Portable Toilets
On the ranch, I had a setup a lot like Elaine K's but spent the money for a prefabbed separator.
Only real difference was a pipe leading up and out of the roof with the top of it painted black.
This kept a negative pressure in the toilet when closed and draw out stink when open.
Not sure this option would be as viable on a van or RV though it's certainly possible.
Without the added height it might attract insects though which wouldnt be great.
There is no replacement for: Research, Planning, Training, and Practical Experience
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gideon33w for this post:
wasanah2 (10-24-2017)
Giddeon33
I do understand the science behind the odor and have tried to educate my wife, she firmly insisted that she can not poop without pee and I believe her, I sometimes do too. Our situation does not allow for venting unless we left the lid off. Just saying we were able to get by for nearly two years with this system and it worked with only two negative incidences neither were our fault, other than putting in dumpster and having someone literally dig through our shit.
casper.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-24-2017, 07:07 PM)casper Wrote: I do understand the science behind the odor and have tried to educate my wife, she firmly insisted that she can not poop without pee

She is not alone by a long shot!

With a properly designed separating toilet it is absolutely possible to do both at the same time. But it has to be properly sectioned and the user has to learn where to position themselves on the seat.

I carried the vent hose and the other parts that came with my C-Head around for probably 5 months before I decided that I didn't neet to install an exterior vent system in it. I ended up using the flex hose for a conduit for my electrical install..lol.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
casper (10-24-2017)
Almost There,
Like I said before, I do understand the science, "but" had no luck educating my wife as to the cause and cure of odor and this is the best system that worked for us, without doing extravagant plumbing/venting while having severe health issues was the best we could do. Seriously did not expect to live long enough to talk about, but here we are.
casper
Add Thank You Reply
I assure you all I have been down this road before and the cheapest most cost effective way is the two bucket system, poop/pee. $18.00 for toilet seat and two buckets, kitty liter, garbage bags. All you need.
casper.
Add Thank You Reply
Not only was it cost effective, but kept my neighbors out of our shit for the most part.
casper.
Add Thank You Reply
I don't mind paying more, but need a system that takes a minimum of space.

Rarely needed, so ideally the containers can be used for storage in the meantime.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-24-2017, 07:17 PM)Almost There Wrote: She is not alone by a long shot!

With a properly designed separating toilet it is absolutely possible to do both at the same time. But it has to be properly sectioned and the user has to learn where to position themselves on the seat.

I carried the vent hose and the other parts that came with my C-Head around for probably 5 months before I decided that I didn't neet to install an exterior vent system in it. I ended up using the flex hose for a conduit for my electrical install..lol.
I'm sorry if I came off bad, after rereading your post I see you are correct, and I agree completely. Just did not have any cooperation from you know who. my lady is the best person I know, but sometimes her head is harder than mine, and mine is made of stone.
casper.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-24-2017, 03:49 PM)Gideon33w Wrote: On the ranch, I had a setup a lot like Elaine K's but spent the money for a prefabbed separator.
Only real difference was a pipe leading up and out of the roof with the top of it painted black.
This kept a negative pressure in the toilet when closed and draw out stink when open.
Not sure this option would be as viable on a van or RV though it's certainly possible.
Without the added height it might attract insects though which wouldnt be great.

That's a great idea to paint the pipe coming out the roof black.  Excellent application.  I think it would be possible to add to a van or RV.  RVs are fitted with vents for refrigerators, heaters and toilets and there is a roof cap that goes over that will allow the flow of air without letting in the rain.  They are rated to go down the road, so they should work for this application.  I noticed on my old RV that there is a screen in there that would keep insects out.

If they are on an RV, the parts should be out there.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-24-2017, 08:25 PM)John61CT Wrote: I don't mind paying more, but need a system that takes a minimum of space.

Rarely needed, so ideally the containers can be used for storage in the meantime.

John61C, I hear what you are saying. We kept the poop bucket in the shower with lid on, when not in use. The pee bucket was left front and center, toilet seat on and ready. you have to potty train yourself again. Always give enough time to empty bladder before poo. if room is to much of problem keep outside, very simple, very cost effective. $20.00 will serve you well.
casper.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations on portable flush toilets please citytravelfotos 9 2,612 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Willy