Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holding Tank Opening Valve **too tight**
I've been scouring the internet and before I take it to the RV shop I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.  

The holding tank opening valve, the main valve that you connect your septic hose to so you can dispose of the tank's contents.  I am having difficulty attaching the hose for dumping and then taking it back off after.  I am at my wits end.  This could be a speedy job, but not for me.  I have tried coating both connecting pieces with WD40.  Any ideas at all?   

Thank you for any assistance.
Kathy Jo
Pacific NW
"For a time, I rest in the grace of the world and I am free"  (Wendell Berry)
>>retiring Sept 2018 and planning the great escape.
Add Thank You Reply
Vaseline!

WD40 is not a good lubricant for plastic and rubber.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
highdesertranger (10-22-2017), KathyJO (10-22-2017)
If you are talking about getting the three or four pin locking tabs to twist into place then I would think working them, wearing them down a little would make them easier. I have added a back flush made of hard plastic which makes it easier to hold and attach to which the hose attaches if there is a problem with the valve attaching point. If the problem is with the hose end the hose will still be hard to attach to that, so change the hose end. I use spray silicone when attaching. I have used a soft rubber strap wrench but am always afraid of damaging the valve if I do so be careful. I think if is still difficult or you have doubts a trip to the shop is much better than damaging the valve as they can twist or break.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
KathyJO (10-22-2017)
Update..... someone on a FB group page suggested Vaseline... It worked.. and worked well. I emptied without a hitch yesterday!
Kathy Jo
Pacific NW
"For a time, I rest in the grace of the world and I am free"  (Wendell Berry)
>>retiring Sept 2018 and planning the great escape.
Add Thank You Reply
Almost There told you that 8 minutes after you first posted. Right up there at #2
Add Thank You Reply
Proper hose attachment is critical in keeping your stored water usage to a minimum.  

[Image: oops.jpg]
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply