Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1993 Ford E-350 Club Wagon Transmission
the idle air control valve is a very common issue with these. they get carbon fouled and don't work right or loose the seal internally. if you are uncomfortable working on stuff like this then taking it to a shop is your only alternative. sometimes you can pull them off and clean the inside with carb cleaner. if you do that be very careful with the gasket. I assume the check engine light is not on? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Wildtrapper (12-12-2017)
(11-08-2017, 12:23 PM)This world isn\t home Wrote: news?

(12-12-2017, 02:57 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: the idle air control valve is a very common issue with these.  they get carbon fouled and don't work right or loose the seal internally.  if you are uncomfortable working on stuff like this then taking it to a shop is your only alternative.  sometimes you can pull them off and clean the inside with carb cleaner.  if you do that be very careful with the gasket.  I assume the check engine light is not on?  highdesertranger
Yes the check engine light is on, stays on, in fact.

I did buy a gasket online for it, planned on taking it off and cleaning it, however, it is tucked way back in a difficult to get at location and due to the cold (burrrr) weather, did not attempt to try to get it off. Either need a warmer day or take it to the shop. If my barn wasn't so full of stuff, like straw, mowers, tractors and other (junk), I could get it in there, but it'd still not be heated. I had planned on cleaning it and seeing if that fixed it, but will probably see if that local small shop can fit me in. I still have to put my tags on it and call the insurance co. Once I get that part corrected I should be able to do most of the little stuff myself.
Add Thank You Reply
start the engine and let it warm up a tad. not hot but warm. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 02:57 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: the idle air control valve is a very common issue with these.  they get carbon fouled and don't work right or loose the seal internally.  if you are uncomfortable working on stuff like this then taking it to a shop is your only alternative.  sometimes you can pull them off and clean the inside with carb cleaner.  if you do that be very careful with the gasket.  I assume the check engine light is not on?  highdesertranger

The IAC rarely causes a high idle like that though. It is usually the opposite. Low idle and cutting off under heavy load, like parking in a tight spot.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wanderingfreeman for this post:
Wildtrapper (12-12-2017)
Yes, I suspect the issue with mine is the idle air control valve, or at least most of the problem. It does start and will run if I can get it to warm up enough, stalls a lot, especially if I let off the gas, or on decelerate like coming to a stop. I did manage to get it home, (without a valid tag), from the prior owners home, back roads, but I had to keep one foot on the gas and the other on the brake at stop signs. Letting it warm up enough will let it stay running while just sitting, but it sits and hunts for a proper idle speed. Really wish I had a way to check the codes and also the voltage to the IAC valve. That local small shop has done work for me before, may call him and see what he says about when he could get it in. He has a well equipped heated shop.
Add Thank You Reply
There is one other option y'all aren't mentioning; the throttle position sensor and the ECM/PCM or "brain" as well. Almost all of the symptoms with my tranny( yes, an E4 OH DEAD as well, 92) were because of those 2 parts. Once replaced I left for the desert 2 weeks later.

The ONLY way you will know for sure is to take it to a competent shop. Both sensor and tranny can throw similar codes. If it IS the tranny I repeat what others have mentioned before; make sure a reputable shop does the work. These early generation ones had a bad habit of croaking around 50k miles. You don't want a repeat performance.
Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own.  ~ Bruce Lee

My new blog and discussion!  http://mebelikemeare.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Headache for this post:
Wildtrapper (12-12-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drum brake job - 1993 Ford E-350 Vagabound 91 4,329 08-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Vagabound
  Hesitant starting / misfire problem - 1993 Ford E-350 Vagabound 23 997 08-14-2017, 11:00 PM
Last Post: slow2day