Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Ventilation system in E350 Passenger Van?
Okay, so I'm stripping out the paneling in my van in order to properly insulate and since it has rear ventilation, I'm a bit perplexed about what to do with everything. 

I've watched a few different YouTube videos where some have taken it out, but quite honestly, I don't know enough about this whole system to know what exactly I would be affecting by doing that. 

Does anyone have any expertise / advice surrounding this system? If I remove it, will I no longer have any A/C (even in front)? If I remove it, should I just go ahead and remove all the vents from the ceiling as well? Can I maintain the electrical wiring to reuse for something? 

Should I disconnect the battery before I do anything? I imagine everything is live and pulling energy from the alternator while running, but when not running, I'm not sure. 

Ultimately, my thinking is I would like to remove all the paneling and vent system as well as all the roof lining in order to get in there and seriously insulate as I am pretty sure under the ceiling lining there is no insulation. 

Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
if you don't want it it's a basic job for an AC shop. they replace the hoses for a model without rear air and recharge the system. after that it is safe for you to remove the system. don't try to remove it on your own without an AC shop doing the deletion first. does your front AC work now? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
AbuelaLoca (10-23-2017)
(10-23-2017, 06:07 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: if you don't want it it's a basic job for an AC shop.  they replace the hoses for a model without rear air and recharge the system.  after that it is safe for you to remove the system.  don't try to remove it on your own without an AC shop doing the deletion first.  does your front AC work now?  highdesertranger

Yes everything works as it should. 

Okay, that makes sense that things need to be redirected. I have a mechanic guy I just met who I hear knows quite a bit about RV builds and such. I'll find out if this is something he'd be able to help me with.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to lifemonkey for this post:
AbuelaLoca (10-23-2017), highdesertranger (10-23-2017)
I would use a shop that specializes in AC. While there are some general mechanics that are knowledgeable about AC systems, an AC shop is going to have all of the tools, equipment and refrigerant on hand to do the job correctly and quickly.

Also rear AC is a nice feature. While I can see how it would be a pain to work around and consumes some extra space on a van build, if i was planning on spending significant time down South/Southwest in summer months I'd keep it. The ability to cool down the entire van quickly is pretty nice, especially if you want to cool off the heat soaked interior a little before bed to make sleeping comfortable or have a wife/kids/pets who will spend time in the rear wile driving.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to BinDerSmokDat for this post:
lifemonkey (10-24-2017)
(10-24-2017, 07:13 AM)BinDerSmokDat Wrote: I would use a shop that specializes in AC. While there are some general mechanics that are knowledgeable about AC systems, an AC shop is going to have all of the tools, equipment and refrigerant on hand to do the job correctly and quickly.

Also rear AC is a nice feature. While I can see how it would be a pain to work around and consumes some extra space on a van build, if i was planning on spending significant time down South/Southwest in summer months I'd keep it. The ability to cool down the entire van quickly is pretty nice, especially if you want to cool off the heat soaked interior a little before bed to make sleeping comfortable or have a wife/kids/pets who will spend time in the rear wile driving.

I expect the E350 to be very similar to the T350. I kept my rear A/C for the reasons quoted above, and have appreciated it.
This is what it will look like.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2015 Transit T350 148''wb LR 3.7 gas.

320 watts solar, 200 ah house battery

Longview Texas
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to makenmend for this post:
drysailor (10-25-2017), lifemonkey (10-24-2017)
The E350 is completely different.  The rear ac unit is on the drivers side and it blows up into a duct that is nothing like the Transit.  If you pull out your headliner you will see how the cooled air is directed.  If you need the extra headroom you could redirect the air somewhere else.  The actual AC unit mounts on the floor.  I just TORE one out and put ALL the plastic trim panels in the trash..  I'm still in the progress of figuring out what to do about ALL the plumbing involved.  You can go to a Ford dealer and get printouts of the various components.  I just did it today is how I know. All the tubing that carries the freon is under the floor on the drivers side.  You can lay on your back midway back and you will see the tubes.  They come up through the floor about 18 inches behind the rear tire.  If your AC is working those lines are under pressure so don't just start ripping thing apart.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to closeanuf for this post:
lifemonkey (10-24-2017), AbuelaLoca (10-24-2017)
(10-24-2017, 12:45 PM)closeanuf Wrote: The E350 is completely different.  The rear ac unit is on the drivers side and it blows up into a duct that is nothing like the Transit.  If you pull out your headliner you will see how the cooled air is directed.  If you need the extra headroom you could redirect the air somewhere else.  The actual AC unit mounts on the floor.  I just TORE one out and put ALL the plastic trim panels in the trash..  I'm still in the progress of figuring out what to do about ALL the plumbing involved.  You can go to a Ford dealer and get printouts of the various components.  I just did it today is how I know. All the tubing that carries the freon is under the floor on the drivers side.  You can lay on your back midway back and you will see the tubes.  They come up through the floor about 18 inches behind the rear tire.  If your AC is working those lines are under pressure so don't just start ripping thing apart.

Really glad I read this when I did. But I don't know what to do now. I really don't want the paneling, but it's all riveted into the duct work on the floor and appears to be PART of the duct work. I'd like to keep the air flow for the reasons mentioned above so figured I'd build around. 
Is that ac unit providing ac for the front too? 

Ordering a shop manual today. Ugg.
Add Thank You Reply
the Freon charge is shared for both the rear unit and the front. there is only one compressor for both systems. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
lifemonkey (10-25-2017)
(10-24-2017, 05:34 PM)lifemonkey Wrote: Really glad I read this when I did. But I don't know what to do now. I really don't want the paneling, but it's all riveted into the duct work on the floor and appears to be PART of the duct work. I'd like to keep the air flow for the reasons mentioned above so figured I'd build around. 
Is that ac unit providing ac for the front too? 

Ordering a shop manual today. Ugg.
With the freon tubing all tucked into the floor/wall corner, and the A/C unit tucked into the rear corner, you could just remove most of the ducting, maybe leave it 'up the wall' only, and fab in some kind of aim-able louvers or vent grille at the top? That way you'd still have the rear A/C if needed, but gain all the overhead space?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to drysailor for this post:
lifemonkey (10-25-2017)
More than likely you have heat back there too.  It would be very easy to re-direct the air and get rid of all that  plastic trim.  You can't believe how much room is behind them and if you are careful taking them out you could always replace them.  Take the seatbelts out with a T-50 torks bit, pull on the top panels around the windows and they should just be held in with clips that will allow you to put them back in.  When you get the upper panels out you will see phillips head screws and then take out the bottom part of the seat belts.  I'm gonna send you a PM
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to closeanuf for this post:
Cammalu (10-25-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Passenger seating in rear? mayble 9 1,236 09-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Last Post: mayble
  e350 passenger vans steveh2112 9 3,074 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Gary68