Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at a F150 4x4 supercrew cab
Thinking about building out one of these but have no idea what others who've lived out of one of these thinks about the advantages vs disadvantages. Any thoughts would be a big help and greatly appreciated.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to vanman2300 for this post:
UptownSport (10-24-2017)
By "building out" a F150, are you talking about adding a camper to the back or trying to make the crew-cab area in to a living space?
--
Michael
rvtrek.org
[Image: crvl_sig.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
Using the cab to live out of while storing most of my stuff in the bed that has a locking tonneau cover. Then I plan on swapping the cover out for a topper and building the bed out as a living and storage area.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to vanman2300 for this post:
UptownSport (10-24-2017)
I've done it short term for 3-4 week roadtrips and it worked great for me. I am short and can sleep across the cab. I build up a flat sleeping area with old sleeping bags and comforters then added a mattress on top with normal bed sheets and comforter etc. I kept a camp box and a cooler in the back with a 7 gallon Aquatainer for water. I also had a tote for clothes and a tote for canned and dried food. The dogs rode in the bed and they had a seat each to sleep on at night. I had a curtain made for the back window and use reflectix for the side windows and the windshield. I still use this set-up when I'm away from the RV and just want to head to the mountains.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
Deal Breaker (12-12-2017), vanman2300 (10-24-2017)
(10-24-2017, 09:03 AM)DuneElliot Wrote: I've done it short term for 3-4 week roadtrips and it worked great for me. I am short and can sleep across the cab. I build up a flat sleeping area with old sleeping bags and comforters then added a mattress on top with normal bed sheets and comforter etc. I kept a camp box and a cooler in the back with a 7 gallon Aquatainer for water. I also had a tote for clothes and a tote for canned and dried food. The dogs rode in the bed and they had a seat each to sleep on at night. I had a curtain made for the back window and use reflectix for the side windows and the windshield. I still use this set-up when I'm away from the RV and just want to head to the mountains.
I'm 5'9" and tried the back and it fits me as well. The back is really roomy. I put the back seats up and the front passenger seat forward and have enough room to lay out without having to bend knees or anything like that.

Good to know you find it easy to live out of for weeks at a time because that's what I wonder about using a truck instead of a van. Thanks for the input!
Add Thank You Reply
Be a really small area to heat-
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to UptownSport for this post:
vanman2300 (10-24-2017)
If people can do it in a prius.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-My advice is always worth what you paid for it.
96 Dodge Ram B3500 - Work in progress.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to mr_elijah_gardner for this post:
vanman2300 (10-24-2017)
I don't know how they can live out of a prius without going mad but some do. Especially when it rains for days, it must be tough to sit in a tight space trying to do any daily activities like cooking, eating, etc.
Add Thank You Reply
(10-24-2017, 11:25 AM)vanman2300 Wrote: I'm 5'9" and tried the back and it fits me as well. The back is really roomy. I put the back seats up and the front passenger seat forward and have enough room to lay out without having to bend knees or anything like that.

Good to know you find it easy to live out of for weeks at a time because that's what I wonder about using a truck instead of a van. Thanks for the input!

Here's my road-trip blog from 3 weeks in my truck in 2015:

https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com/2.../15/day-1/

You don't have to read it all but it might give you an idea of what it was like.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
Unless you have a back seat that folds away really well, I'd pull it out and build a platform that gives you the whole area to sleep in, including the footwells. That'll give you more storage underneath and more sleeping area.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply