Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at a F150 4x4 supercrew cab
I will always keep an open mind about rigs and setups large and small lived out out of a 1958 Porsche in the 70's. seats folded almost flat. I got too much room in the Camper. Comes from growing up poor and sleeping in a tiny room with my two brothers, lol ah the good old days.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
What you describe is doable, just lacking in comfort until you can move into the back. 
Yes it's (in cab) easy to heat, "cooling" and ventilation can be/is marginal but then most all rigs suffer from that. You are very close to the power points when in the cab so that's good. You can quickly climb into the front to get going if need be. Nobody will suspect much as far as stealth due to not many even looking at a truck, and covering the windshield is common as far as daylight hours goes.
You can store a lot in the back, covered and secure. Solar can go on the canopy easily.

When you move into the back you can sleep either way, side to side or lengthwise. I made a lengthwise bed frame with storage underneath, look on Pinterest for lots of pics of builds. I found that the canopy (cab high) was a bit low for sitting down on the bed, and the bed was only 10" off the floor.
A canopy that goes higher towards the back would have been nice. Having 4x4 would have been nice, same with extra ground clearance as opposed to a van or car. 

I did not like getting up into and exiting the canopy. It was clumsy, I slipped and fell out once at night, and it just always looked "weird" when I was in public. I could not secure the canopy from the inside and could not get out in bad weather very easily. I ended up selling the truck and am looking at a minivan. That gives me better fuel mileage, inside living, still "stealthy" and more interior room and power-points than the canopy offered (in a short bed).  

Would I do it again? Only if I could build it up about 2' above the cab. Simple enough to frame up and plywood/cedar side it. My truck had a 1600 pound payload, which meant about 1300 lbs actual usable after you subtracted me and things up front. That's enough.
Add Thank You Reply
I would go with a F250 minimum. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(11-01-2017, 05:03 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: I would go with a F250 minimum.  highdesertranger

As a guy with an F150, pulling a Cargo Trailer... I sometimes wish I had a 250... AND A DIESEL!  

Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
^^^^^
What these guys said.

I've also got a f150 towing a 6x12.... 3/4 ton would be a much better match.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-01-2017, 07:13 PM)pnolans Wrote: As a guy with an F150, pulling a Cargo Trailer... I sometimes wish I had a 250... AND A DIESEL!  

Big Grin

That's an interesting comment, can you elaborate? 

I don't have a tow vehicle yet for my 23' 6500# wet load Jayco. I've been assuming an F150 with a 5.0L V8 4X4 would handle it nicely and still give me some fuel economy. Am I off base on that?
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply