Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey buddy, can you spare a dime?
(10-27-2017, 11:11 AM)MikeRuth Wrote: Those prices seem totally out of line. Just saying if I understand this correctly, my entrance to a park in my van would be $70.00? Seriously?
Not gonna happen for me if that happens.

Mike

Yes, and $70 for a one-time entry sounds really high. BUT if I understand correctly the annual pass for all parks would stay at $80. Seems like a silly loophole, but a good financial move for anybody going to multiple parks. Even without this fee increase, the annual pass is cheaper than paying the $30 entrance fee 3 times.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
I was in Yosemite in September and I believe they wanted $32 for 7 days of entry, it was still free with my lifetime pass...
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply
Most people won't buy the annual pass thinking that so many weeks will get wasted on a year long pass.  

I dont know if the prices are so much out of line.  Campgrounds around where I am charge 20 to 30 dollars a day to camp.  Seems like 70 dollars for 7 days is pretty cheap.  I just looked at Oregon and they charge 15 to 35 dollars a day for state campgrounds.  Tens bucks just seems like a pretty good deal.  If I didnt already know that the annual pass is only 10 dollars more than that. Smile

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
That $70 is entrance fee, the camping is additional. The problem with these parks is with all government agencies they build frivolous items like nature theaters and museums that have to have employees to run and maintenance costs. Those items are luxuries that are nice to have, but not the reason I go to a national park.

For example:
"The Department of the Interior has also identified the park service as dysfunctional and corrupt and will not do anything about it. Basically, about 80 percent of the money budgeted for the Smokies goes to pay employees, which in this case is about $8 million, while the other 20 percent goes toward maintaining the park, which is the reason the park service is cutting all visitor services."

It really is the mismanagement of the parks services that is causing these problems.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Itripper for this post:
geogentry (12-21-2017)
(12-21-2017, 02:32 AM)Itripper Wrote: That $70 is entrance fee, the camping is additional.  The problem with these parks is with all government agencies they build frivolous items like nature theaters and museums that have to have employees to run and maintenance costs.   Those items are luxuries that are nice to have, but not the reason I go to a national park.

Whoa!  OK yea that is a bit nuts.

Ahh well dispersed camping is allowed in national forests also - like you said who needs the museums and such

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
"" That $70 is entrance fee, the camping is additional. The problem with these parks is with all government agencies they build frivolous items like nature theaters and museums that have to have employees to run and maintenance costs. Those items are luxuries that are nice to have, but not the reason I go to a national park. ""
But some, if not most, visitors like these experiences. I know I enjoy learning about the parks in their center or museum.
Add Thank You Reply
Do you like clean toilets? Do you like Law Enforcement to stop the huge amount of damage that would be done without it? Do you like passable roads? Do you like a clean Visitor Center and Rangers there to answer your questions?

I personally don’t for one second want to see the Parks personnel budget cut. If anything, it needs to be increased.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
bullfrog (01-01-2018), Wandering Walden (12-23-2017), waldenbound (12-21-2017), Cammalu (12-21-2017)
Das a lotta stars BoB, Seriously although I am grandfathered in I was not earning mid 5 figures that 10 bucks 10 years ago is not 10 bucks today. See it in your heart to pay forward and make this work. see you at the Are Tee Are
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
I personally see the parks as a great resource for boondocking outside the park. Water, trash, electricity in some areas, waste dumps, and even free hot showers and beaches with wify at some all make a day use pass worth it. Consessioneers are a lot of the problem and usually control improved campgrounds so avoid them. Visit during the day and sleep at free sites outside the park, use your mobility to your advantage. If you really want to splurge sit in the lodge at the bar and watch the big screen TV make friends with locals who just might share insites to more resources like best fishing spots.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
rm.w/aview (01-02-2018), bigsallysmom (01-01-2018), rvpopeye (01-01-2018)