Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Land Fees Being Raised?
What percent of the fed budget does the NPS get now?
Add Thank You Reply
(10-27-2017, 02:55 PM)Almost There Wrote: Campground fees are not included in this proposed increase AFAIK.

It only affects those that don't buy an annual national parks pass and prefer to buy a single time use pass at the gate of a specific National Park.

In some ways I actually can see it being beneficial for people. If the fee for getting in to a National Park is $70.00 and only good for that park for a specific amount of time (Grand Canyon pass is for 4 or 5 days for example), and the annual pass is $80.00 and gives you a whole years pass for gate fees for ALL National Parks, then more people will be more inclined to see more of those parks. 

Boondocking or dispersed camping is not allowed in National Parks, only in National Forests, BLM land etc. which are not affected by the proposed increase.

Dispersed camping is allowed at Big Bend. I've done it. It requires a $12/night back country camping permit ($6 with senior access pass), available at the ranger's station at Panther's Junction.

http://roadslesstraveled.us/boondocking-...v-camping/

Chip
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke
Add Thank You Reply
Big Bend isn't included in the proposal. There's only 17 of the National Parks that are affected. It's the ones that are the most highly used like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon etc.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
I am suspicious given larger trends. Backcountry permits require you to sleep outside your vehicle but that distance might only be a couple hundred yards. Ask.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
Hi Guys, as newby I am wondering what the "The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series" includes ? I normally purchase these passes when staying or visiting NP, don't know how they relate to BLM land etc.

Since I am planning on attending the 2K18 RTR, I understand that I need to get a 14 day permit. This would cost me $14.

I haven't camped to much on BLM land and wonder if there is always a Pass and/or Fee involved with this.

Does the "The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series" included camping fees for all BLM land etc?

If this is the case I will purchase a "The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass" before my RTR visit.

Looking forward to your experience and feedback/input ..

Grtx Dutch Marc
Add Thank You Reply
The website doesn't do a very good job of explaining but try this link - https://store.usgs.gov/faq#General-Information

Here are the agencies that accept the pass. The National Park Service includes National Parks, National Monuments, and National Historic Sites
    You DO NOT have to pay anything to camp for two weeks at the RTR.  If you want to camp at the long term sites which have dump stations and water, and sometimes vault toilets, you can buy a seasonal pass or a two week pass. https://www.blm.gov/visit/la-posa-long-t...sitor-area

Boondocking on BLM land is almost always free. There are a few exceptions mostly in very popular areas in Arizona and California.

Any of the National Park passes will get you free admission to all of the sites listed above. If you plan to visit more than one site it's almost always better to buy a yearly pass. ( some are free or very cheap so check first) If you are over 62 or disabled and a US citizen it's almost always better to get a lifetime pass. These passes will get you half price camping at most federal campgrounds. 
  • Annual Pass ($80.00 - anyone 16 years and older can purchase)
  • Lifetime Senior Pass ($80.00 - valid for the lifetime of the pass owner; must be 62+ older, U.S. citizen, or a permanent resident)
  • Annual Senior Pass ($20 - valid for one year from month of purchase; must be 62+ older, U.S. citizen, or a permanent resident)
  • Access Pass (Free for lifetime with documentation of permanent disability, U.S. citizens and permanent residents)
  • Volunteer Pass (earned with 250+ hours of volunteer service in public lands)
  • Hangtags (used as way to display passes at areas without entrance booth staff)
  • Annual Decals (for open-top vehicles to display at areas without entrance booth staff).
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to tonyandkaren for this post:
frater secessus (12-27-2017), Dutch Marc (12-23-2017)
They are simply trying to cut back on epidemic overcrowding during the peak season. These parks, with their hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, and even airports, are more like nature resorts than public lands anyway.
Currently on a six week road trip thru Mexico. Chihuahua - Durango - Tepic - Guadalajara - Morelia - Guanajuato - Zacatecas - ...
Add Thank You Reply
the 14 day BLM costs nothing you sign in with the host at the AMercan flag as you drive in.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major new threat to Public Land access Dust of the Sun 4 2,447 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Last Post: lampliter