Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do I want to place the in-line fuse from the charge controller to the battery?
Where do I want to place the in-line fuse from the charge controller to the battery? I also need to know what is better to use, a butt splicer or a twist cap type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The fuse must go very near the positive battery terminal. If the wires are sized proper, you don't need one at the controller. I don't know what you mean by butt splicer. But twist caps are not for DC wires, they are designed for solid wire used in houses. These fuses work well for battery banks. You want Properly crimped ends on your wire.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
Maggie Flinn (10-27-2017)
My charge controller had pre-cut cables that came with it as well as the fuse. My fuse is close to the battery.

I personally prefer crimp and heat style splicers as they seem more solid but everyone is different
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
Don't use wire nuts for this. A butt splice is OK if done correctly.

The main fuse should preferably be within 6 to 12 inches of the positive post.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
(10-27-2017, 03:56 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Don't use wire nuts for this. A butt splice is OK if done correctly.

The main fuse should preferably be within 6 to 12 inches of the positive post.

Thank you. Btw, I bought one of those usb, usb plug, volt meter combo. It had 2 red wires and one black. When I hooked it up it only said six volts when it should be over 12. So I hooked the reds up to separate batteries and it fried the negative wire. It didn’t come with directions so not sure how it’s supposed to work. Any suggestions for trying it again? The plugs and switch actually worked when it showed 6 volts but I wanted an actual reading.

Add Thank You Reply
(10-27-2017, 03:49 PM)DuneElliot Wrote: My charge controller had pre-cut cables that came with it as well as the fuse. My fuse is close to the battery.

I personally prefer crimp and heat style splicers as they seem more solid but everyone is different

I actually have some of those shrink wrap deals. I will look into that. Thank you

Add Thank You Reply
(10-27-2017, 05:12 PM)Maggie Flinn Wrote: Thank you. Btw, I bought one of those usb, usb plug, volt meter combo.  It had 2 red wires and one black. When I hooked it up it only said six volts when it should be over 12. So I hooked the reds up to separate batteries and it fried the negative wire. It didn’t come with directions so not sure how it’s supposed to work. Any suggestions for trying it again? The plugs and switch actually worked when it showed 6 volts but I wanted an actual reading.

Are you talking about a panel-mount volt-meter that has a USB port? What's this about a switch?

I assume the reds are gonna be positive for the volt meter and USB port, and the black is a common ground or negative.

I have a few guesses but can you send a picture or link or a name and model number, so I can figure out what you have there?

Huh
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(10-27-2017, 11:00 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: ..... but can you send a picture 

If needed, here's a link on adding photo to your post: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...dd-a-Photo

Please be extra careful with your electrical. Even with 12 volt. Electrical term, "fried" = $$

Like they say, " a picture is worth a thousand words"..
Boogie With Canned Heat - On The Road Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Y3XMmD...521D7DD392

channel-MrDupin77

Add Thank You Reply
By adding a fuse between the controller if the fuse blows it will close that connection resulting in a fried controller when the solar panels start to produce voltage/amperage.
Add Thank You Reply
No. The controller will not be "fried". Nothing will happen except the controller will reset when the battery is reconnected. There MUST be a fuse on any cable at the battery positive terminal.
Add Thank You Reply