Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Exhaust-powered greywater evaporatator sketch
"There is nothing that is easily done that could not be made more complicated and maintenance dependent." MLN
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
gsfish (11-03-2017)
Weight, you surely got that right! Like government.
Add Thank You Reply
Water boils at 212 degrees, it's only a matter of having exhaust that's at least 212 degrees. I could insulate the exhaust pipes to the boiler.

I was thinking of periodic flush-outs over burnouts, or better yet screen out all solids and particulate matter in the first place. I'm been thinking of screening the greywater before it goes into the tank, ideally in one location with low maintenance. I really don't want to have to dump a strainer every day.

I also have out of the box ideas for freshwater acquisition, which I'll share in another thread.

For smell, Would pool shock be acceptable to put into the greywater tank?

I've also been looking at using one of the evaporative coolers I have for greywater, screening the pumps intake for longest life. I've been thinking of these two systems side by side or combined into the boiler. This rig is going to be my Burning Man residence as well so I'm looking to take advantage of hot and dry air there. And having the system built in and using waste heat from generator exhaust and the climate is going to raise quality of life noticeably.

Overall I desire to use the climate as much as possible to evaporative off greywater, to minimize the amount of engine running to boil off greywater. I think evaporating greywater should be widespread to reduce occurrences of clandestine dumping.

Ideally I could use the evaporators as the primary greywater tank in the summer, being able to use the interior grey tank for freshwater (only after a through clean and sanitizing) and carry over a hundred gallons of freshwater at any time, living large in a mobile dwelling. I'll only need to dump greywater when it's too cold or not enough exhaust to evaporate sufficiently. Otherwise I'll have to devote space for an equal amount of greywater capacity.
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Don't waste lifes precious time adorning your coffin, with diamonds. 
Add Thank You Reply
Did I read that as you want to use the greywater to power an evaporation cooler during the summer?

If so don't do that!. That is a horrible idea.

I'm still skeptical of the exhaust pipe being hot enough to boil water. Have you measured the external temperature of the exhaust pipe.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-My advice is always worth what you paid for it.
96 Dodge Ram B3500 - Work in progress.
Add Thank You Reply
Personally I'm intrigued with the grey water/swamp cooler idea and will be interested to hear how it works out for you.

How about using a clothes line with large towels to evaporate grey water?

Potted plants could be watered with grey water and also provide edibles. Hydroponics?

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
(11-10-2017, 08:04 AM)gsfish Wrote: Personally I'm intrigued with the grey water/swamp cooler idea and will be interested to hear how it works out for you.

How about using a clothes line with large towels to evaporate grey water?

Potted plants could be watered with grey water and also provide edibles. Hydroponics?

Guy

If you were going to have the greywater swamp cooler just blow out into the outside air it would evaporate it. If you tried to use it to cool the vehicle OMG it would be a horrid smell and mess inside. 

Then there is also the point of the whole reason of doing something to increase the volume of fresh water on board. If you're adding the bulk of an evap cooler why not just make it a tank.

Repurposing grey water is fine. Growing up in the desert we had our grey water from all the sinks and washer machine in the house water our trees and lawn. It would be a little hard to do in a camper though.
Add Thank You Reply
Another thought about a greywater swamp cooler being a bad idea. Bacteria and other bad things could start growing in the pads. It *Might* be okay for a couple days. I think after you used it for any period of time you'd have a bacteria blowing machine and could be a health hazard.
Add Thank You Reply
to me this seems like a big hassle for not much gain. in some areas it's perfectly fine to dump your grey water on the ground. in areas where it's not just haul it out and dispose of it properly. after all what's simpler then a bucket. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
I know better than to use greywater for nothing other than an indirect evaporative cooler, if I was going to use greywater to cool the space. I should have specified, I'm thinking of using an evaporative bucket cooler which would discharge it's bacteria filled air outside out of the top of a pipe that is 12' from the ground. 
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Don't waste lifes precious time adorning your coffin, with diamonds. 
Add Thank You Reply