Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adoption from Shelter When You Are "Homeless"
Ha! My neighbor was attempting to adopt a dog from a group that sent someone to inspect the home. The group hesitated because the yard lacked 20' of fence to be enclosed but relented when the neighbor promised to finish the fencing (little afternoon project).

Five years later,,, still no fence! So this game works both ways!

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
Gypsy Peripatetique (11-07-2017)
I got my Beagle free 14 years ago from a flyer at the public library. So there are alot of options if you want a pet.

Hopefully you can find a shelter that isn't to bureaucratic. Being upfront with them is definitely going to be the best way not to waste anyones time.

Anyway good luck to anyone looking to rescue an animal from a shelter.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-My advice is always worth what you paid for it.
96 Dodge Ram B3500 - Work in progress.
The following 1 user says Thank You to mr_elijah_gardner for this post:
(11-05-2017, 08:35 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: "They make adopting a dog ridiculously hard.   If I ever do another rescue I'm just going direct to a high kill shelter where you can pull one out no questions asked." 

I too had a time of it finding a dog from a shelter.  Because I live over an hour from the nearest shelter, I was
denied because the travel time for a home inspection was too great. 

I was looking for a young female coonhound & told a friend about it.  She was soon to drive to KY to visit family. 
Coonhounds are the pitbulls of the south!  There are many lost hounds in high kill shelters.  My friend
went to the nearest shelter, found a beautiful dog, just what I wanted, pulled it, and brought it all the way back
to N CA for me.   What a wonderful friend.

So depending where you are,  try a high kill shelter.  Don't give up!

[Image: rolleyes.gif]Charlotte
The following 1 user says Thank You to Charlotte's Web for this post:
Its so warming knowing everyone is going out of their way for a shelter dog and not a puppy.
Not every shelter does home visits, the one I work for does not. If you give say a UPS store address they wouldn't necessarily know it's not a residence or apartment. Our shelter doesn't verify addresses either. Call or go in and ask about a particular shelter's policies. If they are picky, just go on to the next. Good luck on your search for the right furbaby Smile
The following 1 user says Thank You to CatCaretaker for this post:
We got our Frankie in Colorado Springs at the pikes peak humane society.. took about an hour.. no questions asked about our living situation. (16ft travel trailer).

Of course we are currently staying in an rv park for a couple months.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

16ft Coachman Clipper is the home, and the E150 Pulls it. Live Free(er)
Instagram: ellocoburrito
https://wanderlovejosh.wordpress.com
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133236240@N04/UpzN26
The following 2 users say Thank You to WanderLoveJosh for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-11-2017), Gypsy Peripatetique (11-07-2017)
Why not get them before they go to the shelter... Our last dog came from a cardboard box in a walmart parking lot. The one before came from a family that was going to take the remainder of the litter to the pound. In addition to craigslist, check the local facebook sale page and you will often find them there. None of these people required a home visit. Heck, the pups were free except for their shots, their toys, their bed, ... .
1997 Class B Dodge van 3500.
The following 1 user says Thank You to bigsallysmom for this post:
Gypsy Peripatetique (11-14-2017)
This is strange that such good people can't easily get a rescued pet.  I've been following Kia Gypsy Girl channel.. she is in Ehrenburg and
recently got a doggie cuz the prairie doggies wouldn't keep her enough company!  Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-bRIfHjWk4  Kia Gypsy Girl
title~ "Deliberate Discharge", 2 'Stinkin' Badges',  1 'Flying Manure Spreader'  1 'Pink Elephant' Big Grin
The following 1 user says Thank You to JustACarSoFar for this post:
Gypsy Peripatetique (11-14-2017)
(11-11-2017, 08:15 PM)bigsallysmom Wrote: Why not get them before they go to the shelter... Our last dog came from a cardboard box in a walmart parking lot.  The one before came from a family that was going to take the remainder of the litter to the pound.  In addition to craigslist, check the local facebook sale page and you will often find them there.  None of these people required a home visit.  Heck, the pups were free except for their shots, their toys, their bed, ... .

Yes, this is what I will probably do.  I went to the local shelter that had the size/type of dog that I want and found one (at least). They wouldn't let me have the dog because I didn't have an in-state driver's license. (I have to keep my DL in that state for a bit longer.) It sucks because he was a little nuts - in a good way - which made me laugh.  

So I've been looking on Craigslist, but I will probably wait until a day or two before I hit the road again as I am currently at my father's house getting things done on my van.

Thanks for the FB tip!
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gypsy Peripatetique for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017)
(11-11-2017, 08:23 PM)JustACarSoFar Wrote: This is strange that such good people can't easily get a rescued pet.  I've been following Kia Gypsy Girl channel.. she is in Ehrenburg and
recently got a doggie cuz the prairie doggies wouldn't keep her enough company!  Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-bRIfHjWk4  Kia Gypsy Girl

Nice!