Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adoption from Shelter When You Are "Homeless"
(11-11-2017, 08:23 PM)JustACarSoFar Wrote: This is strange that such good people can't easily get a rescued pet.  I've been following Kia Gypsy Girl channel.. she is in Ehrenburg and
recently got a doggie cuz the prairie doggies wouldn't keep her enough company!  Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-bRIfHjWk4  Kia Gypsy Girl

OMG! I just watched the 11/12 video.  Everyone that lives in a vehicle has the very same thoughts - sometimes friends and family join the chorus.  Just like KGG, I have had to start over - and do the difficult soul searching about what it actually means to have a life.  I use Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as a gauge.  Freezing is not an option.  Starving is not an option. 

Being miserable is not an option...which is also why I am going this in the first place.

Anyway, I hope she sticks with it.  It is worth it.
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gypsy Peripatetique for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017)
Maricopa County is overflowing with adoptable dogs and you don't have to live in the state to adopt. Here is the website. I haven't been there yet.
http://www.maricopa.gov/3560/Animal-Care-and-Control
Important that we distinguish between typical, government kill-shelters and the no-kill rescues. Kill-shelters almost never have the restrictions on adoption, The no-kill shelters have the luxury of being patient and strict--someone is fostering the dog till it's adopted.

The huge advantage of getting them from a rescue, is you get feedback from the foster parents, they have some experience with the dog.

When I got Homer from a Rescue, his owners came to pick him up while I was there and even though Homer was an 85 pound dog, they put a leash on him and gave the leash to their 3 year old to wander around with him. One slight tug and she would have gone flying and been badly hurt. He followed her around with total abandon.

At that moment I knew he was a special dog and I had to have him, although he was huge for a van!! Never for a second did I regret having him as a traveling companion!
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
The following 1 user says Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
Gypsy Peripatetique (11-28-2017)
(11-28-2017, 08:57 PM)akrvbob Wrote: Important that we distinguish between typical, government kill-shelters and the no-kill rescues. Kill-shelters almost never have the restrictions on adoption, The no-kill shelters have the luxury of being patient and strict--someone is fostering the dog till it's adopted.

The huge advantage of getting them from a rescue, is you get feedback from the foster parents, they have some experience with the dog.

When I got Homer from a Rescue, his owners came to pick him up while I was there and even though Homer was an 85 pound dog, they put a leash on him and gave the leash to their 3 year old to wander around with him. One slight tug and she would have gone flying and been badly hurt. He followed her around with total abandon.

At that moment I knew he was a special dog and I had to have him, although he was huge for a van!! Never for a second did I regret having him as a traveling companion!

I've gotten similar feedback from friends of mine.  One of them warned against even Craigslist where the actual owners are giving up the dog.  

Something that I am wondering about is leaving the dog in the vehicle when I have to go to a place that doesn't allow dogs.  I'm sure there is a topic about that around here somewhere...
(11-28-2017, 11:35 AM)Gypsy Peripatetique Wrote: Maricopa County is overflowing with adoptable dogs and you don't have to live in the state to adopt.  Here is the website.  I haven't been there yet.
http://www.maricopa.gov/3560/Animal-Care-and-Control

Hey, Gypsy P!   I'm in West Phoenix in a sticks and bricks til the end of the year.  If you want one from Maricopa County, I'm happy to either go with you or let you use my address.
The following 1 user says Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
Gypsy Peripatetique (11-29-2017)
(11-28-2017, 11:47 PM)GypsySpirit Wrote: Hey, Gypsy P!   I'm in West Phoenix in a sticks and bricks til the end of the year.  If you want one from Maricopa County, I'm happy to either go with you or let you use my address.

Beans GypsySpirit! Thanks!  I need to get some other things settled before I get the dog but thank you for your generous offer!  I will put it in my back pocket.  Heart

Let's meet up at the RTR.
GypsySpirit (11-30-2017)
I have never adopted a dog, they always seem to find and adopt me. Every dog I've owned was a stray who wouldn't leave me alone. If you want a dog, just be open to one and they will find you.
1998 Tioga Phoenix flyer 24ft class c with a 1000 watts of solar.
(11-06-2017, 09:20 AM)velojym Wrote: I think they take on a sort of narrow-minded bureaucratic mindset. Their standards are set, and it kinda fits in with the "American Dream (official version)" where you need to have 2.5 kids, a picket fence, two cars, and a mortgage... fill out an adoption application, submit to home visits by doggie "social workers", and maybe we'll let you adopt one of these critters instead of euthanizing them.

You got that so right.  I agree whole heartedly.
No hurry ... No worry
(11-29-2017, 08:32 PM)Zardor Wrote: I have never adopted a dog, they always seem to find and adopt me. Every dog I've owned was a stray who wouldn't leave me alone. If you want a dog, just be open to one and they will find you.

You must have animal magnetism.  Tongue
tx2sturgis (11-29-2017)
(11-05-2017, 07:18 AM)John61CT Wrote: Maybe they figure some of us would BBQ our Fido in a pinch.

John! you promised to never give up that secret. Does that mean our lunch date is off?