Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How close do you need to park to get free wifi
That's a good idea, I love library vibes anyway. The one near me is where I go for quiet time, people leave me alone and they have clean restrooms.
So we have Lowes, libraries, Starbucks, and maybe if parked close to Walmart. But I think of Walmart as kinda the park around the perimeter place! Maybe they have wifi in their little eating area near the front doors. Always smells so darn good when you walk in hungry.
You guys are so helpful and knowledgeable. I hope to learn enough to help others someday.?
2017 Chevy Express 2500 Van, her name is Big Girl. She is no frills and much loved. Heart
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to SilverVoyager for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-08-2017)
The other place you can try to find wifi is a community center.

I know the one in Cottonwood offers free wifi, there's always people sitting in quite comfortable looking seating in the lobby working away on their laptops. I use it for showers, it has a $5.00 per day non-resident pass. You can go swimming, work out in the gym, play tennis etc. etc. - I just head to the showers most times and skip the workout part.... Rolleyes
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-08-2017), SilverVoyager (11-07-2017)
From these posts I see that there is more wifi out there than I thought. That's good, I don't like to not be able to see the news, times are so weird these days, I need to know what's up, but sometimes it's too much, you know?
2017 Chevy Express 2500 Van, her name is Big Girl. She is no frills and much loved. Heart
Add Thank You Reply
Search the web for cantenna. Basically an antenna made from a can. They do work for the shorter distances you are talking. I'm talking articles.on indestructibles, wikiHow, and the like. One is made from a Pringles can
1997 Thor Windsport 34' Class A

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Great ideas on antennas to use and I'm probably as appreciative as the OP!  

Another question comes to mind: Is there any reasonably economical way I can use wifi in the parking lot if I only have a phone or a tablet?  

In other words, when there isn't any USB to use in connecting an antenna as there is on a laptop?  

Peterson
Add Thank You Reply
you would need a booster with it's own hotspot or cradle. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(11-08-2017, 07:12 AM)Peterson Wrote: Another question comes to mind: Is there any reasonably economical way I can use wifi in the parking lot if I only have a phone or a tablet?  

In other words, when there isn't any USB to use in connecting an antenna as there is on a laptop?  

That's what the jeffatech equipment does, it repeats wireless signals.

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jef...-repeaters

There are also other vendors of this kind of gear, but jefatech is the one I know about.

Inexpensive home-based off-the-shelf wifi repeaters might work for you, or they might not.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Peterson (11-08-2017)
Peterson, if your tablet is like my iPad, there is a place in settings where you turn on wifi and then your tablet, if like an iPad, searches for wifi. It also show which wifi is locked and which isn't.
My old laptop had to have a hotspot unit separate from the laptop. If you are using a hotspot you can go into its settings and extend its range, somewhat, like a few feet.
I apologize if this information is too simple, it's probably known by everyone but me until a few months ago.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to SilverVoyager for this post:
Peterson (11-08-2017)
(11-08-2017, 09:16 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: That's what the jeffatech equipment does, it repeats wireless signals.

Correction:

This should have read, 'it repeats wifi signals'.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(11-08-2017, 07:12 AM)Peterson Wrote: Great ideas on antennas to use and I'm probably as appreciative as the OP!  

Another question comes to mind: Is there any reasonably economical way I can use wifi in the parking lot if I only have a phone or a tablet?  

Peterson

go look at my previous post. It links to both antennas and repeaters. you can plug the antennas into a usb port or plug them into the repeater which will then transmit wifi like a wireless router.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bardo for this post:
Peterson (11-08-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using free WIFI on the road, anyone use a VPN? gallica 26 1,343 01-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GeorgiePorgie
  Avast free wifi finder cyndi 0 431 04-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: cyndi