Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you really happy as a nomad?
I’m happy doing this. My health has improved. My attitude has improved. It isn’t perfect, but I am enjoying it far more than my previous life of trying to keep the house payment paid and the lawn mowed.

I get to indulge one of my favorite hobbies, photography. I get to be with my doggies 24/7. I make up my own mind as to where I am going and for how long, what I am going to do, etc.

I’ve been stuck in the Redwoods since the middle of August for medical tests and appointments. It is driving me a bit nuts to be stuck in one corner of the world right now. I told the doctor I don’t care what is going on, I am out of here after Christmas. Last winter in Arizona my depression vanished, it was amazing.

I know I won’t be able to do this for too long due to declining health issues. I hope to get in a few more years at least. I know I will be very sad the day I have to give this life up. I’m a year and a half full time.

This past summer, when I was camped in the sierras, I had a full frig and my bills were paid and I was surrounded by beauty. I had the realization that I was more relaxed than I had ever been since becoming an adult. It was pure heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 Ford F250 and a 30ft Springdale Travel Trailer. Happily full time since 7/2016.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 9 users say Thank You to Blanch for this post:
Jora (01-03-2018), azmike9 (12-16-2017), JannaB (11-18-2017), slow2day (11-18-2017), jimindenver (11-18-2017), Sleep (11-17-2017), mayble (11-16-2017), gallica (11-16-2017), AnnaP (11-16-2017)
For me, I have really no choice.
I am miserable living in just one place. A few months in S&B and I am climbing the walls.

Raising a family meant stay put for years. I was a miserable person! It is a wonder anyone could tolerate me. I buried myself in work. Deliberately kept myself over-booked all the time!

Happy roaming? Oh yes! Oh yes!
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
frater secessus (12-13-2017), free2enjoy (12-12-2017), rvpopeye (12-02-2017), bullfrog (11-18-2017), slow2day (11-18-2017), jimindenver (11-18-2017)
(11-07-2017, 10:07 AM)vanman2300 Wrote: Thanks for all the responses so far. I've been following many different blogs, vlogs, etc for at least 2 years as I mull over a nomadic life. I'm on the cusp of taking the leap. Things have alligned for me as best they can in terms of family responsibilities, timing, and means to reach retirement without hardship.

Then it's time for you. Things have aligned and for at 2 years you've been educated on the various aspects of nomadic living. You can take the leap and put the matter to rest, or sit in the rocker some years down the road and wonder what may have been. You may love it to death, or not and seek another place to live. Either way, I suggest taking the leap so that you'll remove all doubt. You will have some laughs, meet new friends, and see & experience (key word) things that are just a dream for many. At the very least, if you wind up in a Home at the end of your days your stories will not be fiction.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
GettinHitchy (12-03-2017)
(11-07-2017, 09:38 PM)trailsailor Wrote: Right now I'm in the desert at Quartzite looking at the Milky Way, enjoying a flavorful yet affordable bourbon.

Man, I sure do miss seeing stars...
It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care,
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere! 
 ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
Add Thank You Reply
(11-06-2017, 08:59 PM)vanman2300 Wrote: It appears most people who post on youtube and other forums are exceedingly happy with the life. What say you? Do you think most are pleased with the choice or that there are a significant number of people who think they made a bad choice.
Most people that post their adventure on y-tube do so for financial reasons, Some love the life style while others have  no choice in the matter and live in their cars or vans because it's cheaper than paying rent and better than being homeless.
Add Thank You Reply
[quote="vanman2300" pid='346468' dateline='1510023580']
It appears most people who post on youtube and other forums are exceedingly happy with the life. What say you? Do you think most are pleased with the choice or that there are a significant number of people who think they made a bad choice.
[quote="AnnaP" pid='353551' dateline='1512218513']
Most people that post their adventure on y-tube do so for financial reasons, Some love the life style while others have  no choice in the matter and live in their cars or vans because it's cheaper than paying rent and better than being homeless.

I agree that youtube is more of a business venture for many and as such need to have an entertaining or informative nature. I've seen some videos with a high energy & happy vibe to the point of selling what they're doing. Although I found these annoying some others may be buying, and later seeking to exchange their purchase. Knowing that they're earning a living on youtube lends some perspective.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
AnnaP (12-02-2017)
Happiness is an internal thing.

I am retired and travel from a 'home base'.  I'm currently at home for the Christmas season, but am already looking forward to roaming again.
Add Thank You Reply
Yup yup !
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
(11-07-2017, 06:27 AM)Van-Tramp Wrote: You have to talk the youtube personas with a grain of salt. The vast majority of those channels show only the best few minutes of each day in that person's life. Most of it is staged, not real at all. So their "happiness" may not necessarily reflect their real every-day life. My own blog included.

It varies for each person of course, but I am much happier now then I ever was before I started traveling.

Definitely that is the nuance, that being a nomad is not nirvana but puts one in a much better place for happiness than the rut of "normal" living.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-16-2017, 12:22 AM)Blanch Wrote: I’m happy doing this. My health has improved. My attitude has improved. It isn’t perfect, but I am enjoying it far more than my previous life of trying to keep the house payment paid and the lawn mowed.

I get to indulge one of my favorite hobbies, photography. I get to be with my doggies 24/7. I make up my own mind as to where I am going and for how long, what I am going to do, etc.

I’ve been stuck in the Redwoods since the middle of August for medical tests and appointments. It is driving me a bit nuts to be stuck in one corner of the world right now. I told the doctor I don’t care what is going on, I am out of here after Christmas. Last winter in Arizona my depression vanished, it was amazing.

I know I won’t be able to do this for too long due to declining health issues. I hope to get in a few more years at least. I know I will be very sad the day I have to give this life up. I’m a year and a half full time.

This past summer, when I was camped in the sierras, I had a full frig and my bills were paid and I was surrounded by beauty. I had the realization that I was more relaxed than I had ever been since becoming an adult. It was pure heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever come across Dr. Berg on YouTube?   https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123

His videos are short, amazing and he focuses on intense nutrition, ketosis, electrolytes and more.   I really enjoy him.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to free2enjoy for this post:
Blanch (12-12-2017)