Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to make an insulated curtain?
Rainbow 
If I can't find a way to hang insulating curtains in the T & C I may have to trade it in for a shorty bus.

"Awareness is your greatest skill."
Tom Brown, Jr.
Author, Teacher, Outdoorsman
Tracker School, NJ
Add Thank You Reply
(11-29-2017, 10:21 PM)Kathleen Wrote: Can anyone tell me how to hang insulating dark out curtains behind the front seats in a minivan? I tried a spring rod but the walls are angled and won't hold it. The handles above the second row doors are too far back.

I have not made any alterations to my T & C but will if necessary. Anyone else with a minivan and heavy front curtains have ideas?? Down both rows of side windows and across the back too.

Can get pretty cold and windy in Q in January.

HI Kathleen,
I have a 2012 Toyota Sienna and what I did was stretch a bungie cord across the cabin THEN added a metal curtain rod.  You can sort of see it in this video.  I've added the timestamp to the link so you don't have to watch the whole video.

I decided against the moving blanket because it was too bulky.  I got the thinner, cheaper moving blanket at Home Depot that is more like felt and it works fine.  I also have covered Reflectix with black fabric for the window covers so no one can tell that I have covered the windows from the outside. So far I haven't frozen even in 39 degree weather but that is because I insulate myself with a down sleeping bag.

Gypsy P
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gypsy Peripatetique for this post:
Kathleen (11-29-2017)
(11-29-2017, 10:24 PM)Kathleen Wrote: If I can't find a way to hang insulating curtains in the T & C I may have to trade it in for a shorty bus.

When I had my van I used a shower curtain rod and put each end in the grab bars. It seemed to work then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Kia girl for this post:
Kathleen (11-30-2017)
(11-29-2017, 10:35 PM)Gypsy Peripatetique Wrote: HI Kathleen,
I have a 2012 Toyota Sienna and what I did was stretch a bungie cord across the cabin THEN added a metal curtain rod.  You can sort of see it in this video.  I've added the timestamp to the link so you don't have to watch the whole video.

I decided against the moving blanket because it was too bulky.  I got the thinner, cheaper moving blanket at Home Depot that is more like felt and it works fine.  I also have covered Reflectix with black fabric for the window covers so no one can tell that I have covered the windows from the outside. So far I haven't frozen even in 39 degree weather but that is because I insulate myself with a down sleeping bag.

Gypsy P

Thanks, Gypsy P! Bought lots of bungees, haven't tried that yet. Good tip on the thin cheaper moving blankets. I plan to put black fabric on my reflectix too. So much to do between now & RTR!
Tom Brown, Jr.
Tracker School, NJ
Add Thank You Reply
(11-29-2017, 10:21 PM)Kathleen Wrote: Can anyone tell me how to hang insulating dark out curtains behind the front seats in a minivan? I tried a spring rod but the walls are angled and won't hold it. The handles above the second row doors are too far back.

I have not made any alterations to my T & C but will if necessary. Anyone else with a minivan and heavy front curtains have ideas?? Down both rows of side windows and across the back too.

Can get pretty cold and windy in Q in January.

This is the design I have in mind. Video shows a flat metal bar contoured to the inside ceiling. Appears to be quick and easy. There are two videos (1st one shows the design and how to, starts at 4:08: https://youtu.be/zLK2_FaR5qc -- 2nd video you can get a later glimpse at 2:54 https://youtu.be/JLoGSh8OUcM
Exclamation And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. — Abraham Lincoln
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to CautionToTheWind for this post:
Kathleen (11-30-2017)
(11-30-2017, 12:55 AM)CautionToTheWind Wrote: This is the design I have in mind. Video shows a flat metal bar contoured to the inside ceiling. Appears to be quick and easy. There are two videos (1st one shows the design and how to, starts at 4:08: https://youtu.be/zLK2_FaR5qc -- 2nd video you can get a later glimpse at 2:54 https://youtu.be/JLoGSh8OUcM

Brilliant!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gypsy Peripatetique for this post:
CautionToTheWind (11-30-2017)
Rainbow 
(11-30-2017, 12:55 AM)CautionToTheWind Wrote: This is the design I have in mind. Video shows a flat metal bar contoured to the inside ceiling. Appears to be quick and easy. There are two videos (1st one shows the design and how to, starts at 4:08: https://youtu.be/zLK2_FaR5qc -- 2nd video you can get a later glimpse at 2:54 https://youtu.be/JLoGSh8OUcM

Thanks so much, CTTW! As soon as the coffee kicks in I will take a look at that solution!  Smile
Tom Brown, Jr.
Tracker School, NJ
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Kathleen for this post:
CautionToTheWind (11-30-2017)
Rainbow 
(11-29-2017, 10:39 PM)Kia girl Wrote: When I had my van I used a shower curtain rod and put each end in the grab bars.  It seemed to work then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Been so busy that technique did not register. A long thin curtain rod might fit in the hooks on the grab bars, then I could run a blanket down both sides of the van, where the windows are that let in so much of the cold.

Have to view all responses to this question. Multi tasking between getting very quirky 200 yr old adobe ready to leave in some degree of order (after the recent move) and prepping for travel at the same time.

Thanks!

kd
Tom Brown, Jr.
Tracker School, NJ
Add Thank You Reply
Rainbow 
(11-29-2017, 10:35 PM)Gypsy Peripatetique Wrote: HI Kathleen,

Gypsy P
Hey, Gypsy P, what color is the thinner cheaper moving blanket at HD? Could it be used for the fabric for the window covers? If not, what fabric did you use? I want something black I can just cut, now sew, for quick action, little time left to prepare.

Thanks for your info!

kd
Tom Brown, Jr.
Tracker School, NJ
Add Thank You Reply
(12-06-2017, 09:45 AM)Kathleen Wrote: Hey, Gypsy P, what color is the thinner cheaper moving blanket at HD? Could it be used for the fabric for the window covers? If not, what fabric did you use? I want something black I can just cut, now sew, for quick action, little time left to prepare.

Thanks for your info!

kd
I cut reflectix to fit each window and covered the edges with duct tape. That works great except it was too shiny inside so I covered each window piece with felt covering the edges again with duct tape. I used a spray adhesive to apply the felt, no sewing necessary. I suppose you could do this to the outside of the reflectix with black felt. I don't mind the reflectix on the outside because my tinted windows block the shine a little bit and I want it to help block the Sun.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Explore, Dream, Discover 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Bohemian scout for this post:
Kathleen (12-06-2017)