Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message from forum staff regarding sexual assault
I would hope that the convener of any event, upon hearing that PEOPLE's space and person had been invaded by a particular individual, knowing that person, would identify him or her, as well as his/her rig, as well as ask them not to attend the gathering. As an attendee at said event, I would not feel I was being treated as a special flower or as a child if said convener made that announcement. I would feel as though every one of us were being treated as a valuable member of a community, in a thoughtful manner, whose safety was a matter of concern equally, to all members, as theirs is to me. As a PERSON, I feel that this is basic courtesy.

It should also be pointed out that the human being to which this happened, who spoke about it, is being harassed and mocked. Regardless of my opinion regarding the official reporting of the incident, I am thoroughly disgusted and so disappointed that this person is facing this behavior from their fellow humans and, most particularly, the community of which we all are a part. I feel quite certain that if some individual was going from rig to rig stealing objects, and the proof existed that this was so, we would all be on precisely the same page on the subject. Yes, there can be many thieves, but every one we know about  increases our safety. In what way does this incident differ?
Be kind. It can't hurt.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 12 users say Thank You to heron for this post:
mert6706 (11-14-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017), slynne (11-13-2017), AdventurousAdriana (11-13-2017), sassypickins (11-12-2017), Gypsy Jane (11-12-2017), CautionToTheWind (11-11-2017), Ms Daisy (11-10-2017), wagoneer (11-10-2017), dragonflyinthesky (11-10-2017), Cammalu (11-10-2017), frater secessus (11-10-2017)
Will not even begin to defend trespassers emotional physical or sexual. that said most people are good people. the obvious growing pains of this RTR should not color your enthusiasm
or cast a shadow on your experience. be bold and have some fun.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
heron (11-10-2017), Cammalu (11-10-2017), Vern (11-10-2017), dragonflyinthesky (11-10-2017)
Assault of any kind is not a "growing pain of this RTR".  It permeates our world everywhere you go, which is why women are taught from early childhood how to avoid places, situations, and people that are higher risk.  This is a large gathering of all sorts of people and although Bob doesn't advocate the party mentality, some there will (and have) see(n) it as such.  This is one of those higher risk situations.  People need to keep their guards up, as anywhere out there.

Yes, most people are good.  But it takes only one to change another person's life in a very negative way.  So "be bold and have some fun" should be tempered with "and always be aware and cautious".
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Stargazer for this post:
Jandoraa (11-21-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017)
"This is a large gathering of all sorts of people and although Bob doesn't advocate the party mentality, some there will (and have) see(n) it as such.  This is one of those higher risk situations.  People need to keep their guards up, as anywhere out there."

Living in a high risk city these last 61 years (last 20 being higher risk) am always on guard, I work in a thug infested part of town in a pawn shop thug after thug after thug spit upon life threatened you name it this is a concentrated mixture of thugs perverts and sex offenders I know the victims broken lives sad stories this has never stopped me from living my so called life. 
My original point was the RTR 4 years ago was not "advertised" by anyone word of mouth and it was something we just did, I have seen old friends just not show up anymore and I have second thoughts mice-elf. I just wish for the best to come out and losers stay home.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
Gypsynurse (11-14-2017)
(11-08-2017, 10:39 PM)VanDwellerMod Wrote: The forum staff (both men and women) wanted to let all members know our stand on the sexual assault being discussed

Thank you forum staff for the manner in which you addressed this issue. As in a previous issue at an RTR, alcohol was involved in the Van Build issue. Please drink responsibly. I have made some of my most poor decisions while under the influence (it does impair good judgement, does it not) so if the bottle is empty and some one says, "I got a good idea!", beware. By all means, if Jose Cuervo, Jim Beam, Johnny Walker, or any other of these fine gents find themselves at your social, be a gracious and wise host to the best of your ability.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
heron (11-14-2017), frater secessus (11-14-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017), dawnann7 (11-13-2017)
(11-13-2017, 11:59 AM)rm.w/aview Wrote:  As in a previous issue at an RTR, alcohol was involved in the Van Build issue.

edit: this based on obtainable information as I was not at either event
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
Gypsynurse (11-14-2017)
It should also be pointed out that the human being to which this happened, who spoke about it, is being harassed and mocked.

Whether alcohol was involved or not, the individual who did this should have known better and should have been reported to the authorities. Alcohol is not an excuse. There is nothing acceptable to excuse his behavior. And there reportedly three victims, not just one. The fact he is denying it, supported by his friends, and being backed up by females wanting to fight to defend his "honor", scares me. What is going to happen if this gang shows up at RTR? I am rethinking coming to RTR and camping alone. Is there usually an area where single females camp close to one another, or is there a plan to do so, or are there gals out there interested in doing so? I know we all like to be independent, but in view of these circumstances, I feel like there is safety in numbers. Any thoughts?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 7 users say Thank You to mert6706 for this post:
Squeakytiki (11-21-2017), frater secessus (11-14-2017), jaxtonsgram (11-14-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017), GypsySpirit (11-13-2017), gramakittycat (11-13-2017), JustACarSoFar (11-13-2017)
(11-13-2017, 05:32 PM)mert6706 Wrote:  I know we all like to be independent, but in view of these circumstances, I feel like there is safety in numbers. Any thoughts?

You may have something here Mert, and it goes beyond simply circling the wagons. With this idea of safety in numbers I believe that the vast percentage of folks attending the RTR are upstanding citizens willing to help each other not only with mechanical or technical issues, but also with having the time of their lives, of having a time to remember & cherish along with the friendships that were made or deepened. I believe that the energy created in such an environment simply will not allow anything of negative impact.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
mert6706 (11-14-2017), jaxtonsgram (11-14-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017), highdesertranger (11-13-2017), Almost There (11-13-2017), SondraRose (11-13-2017)
Pick carefully who you want to camp around and or associate with. Wife and I won't be at the 2018 event, the last day of 2018 RTR is the day we board the plane to come home. But, in future events, we don't drink or do anything that clouds judgement so camping around us would be about as safe as you could get plus I'm a very light sleeper. We wish everyone a safe and wonderful experience at the up coming 2018 RTR. I'm sure Bob is thinking about everything he can to ensure everyone has a great and safe time.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 7 users say Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
heron (11-14-2017), mert6706 (11-14-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017), Almost There (11-13-2017), slynne (11-13-2017), JustACarSoFar (11-13-2017), Cammalu (11-13-2017)
So, after reading/watching all this, I am still planning on attending the RTR.

All I know is that a. some people are stupid. b. some people are assholes. c. Most people aren't either of those.

Mert and any other single women are welcome to circle the wagons with me. Also, I believe Harbor Freight and Walmart both carry air horns. Thinking one of those in the middle of the night is not only a deterrent, but would bring others running. Any thoughts?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
heron (11-14-2017), Almost There (11-14-2017), Bohemian scout (11-14-2017), mert6706 (11-14-2017), Gypsynurse (11-14-2017), JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017)