Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we running away?
(11-10-2017, 10:49 PM)wagoneer Wrote: Sorry for stealing but yes great topic, are we running away? I might be just not ready to admit it meaning failure which is unacceptable. My cat is looking at me as I type but the feeling is Yes I am running away. As sad as that is to admit.

Well, in some cases - could be.
But for the most part, I think it could be choosing a lifestyle that was not apparently available in the past. Choosing to experience life rather than sacrifice it for the sake of accumulating things.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to drysailor for this post:
gallica (12-02-2017), rm.w/aview (12-02-2017)
I get your point Wagoneer. When I originally contemplated my intention's regarding this major lifestyle change, I was looking through the lens of other people. I was imagining how "most people" would view my decision to leave it all behind and start anew. And, then I came to the realization that many others on here have already noted- Am I really running away? Nope. I am running "to" something. I am running to a place where I can actualize my dreams and the way that I would like to live my life. If I were to stay put and never leave- then, living the dream and making it a reality would be an impossibility. Because, the people around me and the constraints of society would fight me at every turn. The way I see it, I can either be a coward and submit to my situation. Which, will assure that I'll never truly know if my dreams are attainable or not. Or, I can play ball. I just need to plant my feet, choke up on that bat and swing for the fences! Maybe, it'll be a swing and miss. Three strikes and I'm out. Who knows and who cares. It can't be any worse than my life is already. But , hell, maybe I'll hit that sonofabitch straight outta the park and get a free trot around the bases with a bunch of high-five's waiting for me at home plate. Either way, I won't have to look back and say "what if" any more. Because, that question will be answered one way or the other. And, right now- my heart's telling me that I need to man up, break out the pine pitch, rub down that bat and swing away.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to JohnnyGringo for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-12-2017)
Running away does not equal failure. It equals success. Everyone, everywhere, to some degree or another, is hoping to escape the things about life they don't like. Most people believe that means buying their way to some level that's above the crap of life. They don't know they can just refuse to participate, that they can walk (or drive) away.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-12-2017), JohnnyGringo (11-12-2017)
I don't see it as running away. More of beginning a new chapter. The home I'm in now, which I'm in the process of renting out, is the house I raised my kids in. They're almost 30 and my husband has passed away. Time (passed time?) I move on with my life. I've wanted to travel around the country since I was in my late teens. I'm starting a journey 40 years in the making.  Big Grin
Life is either a great adventure or nothing - Helen Keller 
Hank 03 Toyota Tundra
Alice 03 Aliner Expedition
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Dream True for this post:
GypsySpirit (12-02-2017), rm.w/aview (12-02-2017), Cammalu (11-13-2017)
(11-10-2017, 10:49 PM)wagoneer Wrote: Sorry for stealing but yes great topic, are we running away? 

No, I'm leaving. I'll be over there. Then over there, then there, and so on. This is me doing this.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
gallica (12-02-2017), GypsySpirit (12-02-2017)
LOL....I had someone tell me today how sorry they are that I have to do this. I tried explaining that I'm not sorry and this is my choice. I'm looking forward to the adventure. sigh....some people just don't get it.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-02-2017, 06:46 PM)GypsySpirit Wrote: LOL....I had someone tell me today how sorry they are that I have to do this.  I tried explaining that I'm not sorry and this is my choice.  I'm looking forward to the adventure.   sigh....some people just don't get it.

I was kinda surprised that really only one person told me I was crazy. Most are crazy jealous (or they say that to make me feel better, haha).
Add Thank You Reply
I don't think anyone here is running away.  At least I hope not because if they are running from some set of problems they will just discover a new set waiting around the corner.

For me it is a journey.  I could very easily sit on my duff and watch each day go by, one after the other, until I finally just pass away.  Never going anywhere, never seeing anything, never doing anything.  Just sitting and existing.  I already know the problems I will face and which I can solve and which just are there.

BUT I don;t want to just sit and be like a vegetable or a rock.  There is too much to see, too many places to go, too many people to meet.  So in a short while I will abandon the age old , societal approved, path of grow up, work most of your life, statically sit somewhere and wait to die.  I will set out on a journey to see new places,  and make new friends.  And now that I have spent all that time typing a thought has occurred to me.  I guess I am running.  I am running from a slow death to a full life.

But then that is just my two cents

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to geogentry for this post:
Gardenias (12-25-2017), Murphie (12-04-2017), bonnieE350van (12-04-2017)
Toi quote Merle Haggard ~

I was born the running kind, leaving always on my mind
Home was never home to me at anytime
Every front door found me open I would find the back door open
There just had to be a lesson for the running kind
Within me there's a prison, surrounding me alone
As real as any dungeon with a wall of stone
I know running's not the answer, but running's been my nature
And a part of me that keeps me moving on
Add Thank You Reply
Nice Smile Here's a quote from Steve Earle that's appropriate, but I'll let him tell it... https://youtu.be/wu3NNXEAhg0
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply