Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we running away?
(12-03-2017, 12:18 PM)rm.w/aview Wrote: Nice Smile Here's a quote from Steve Earle that's appropriate, but I'll let him tell it... https://youtu.be/wu3NNXEAhg0

Like Steve, this is in my library!!!
Add Thank You Reply
We are NOT running away.   We are stepping as much as possible out of the system of slavery to money which means towards an authentic creative life of personal freedom and expression.   Cool
Add Thank You Reply
(12-02-2017, 10:38 PM)geogentry Wrote: "... BUT I don't want to just sit and be like a vegetable or a rock. ..."

LOL ... This was great to read on Christmas day! Thank you!
Add Thank You Reply
I used to live near the ocean ... Huntington Beach. One day, I was at the beach and I was standing on the edge of the water in my street clothes when a large swell raced up to where I was standing.

I ran away.

I'd run from an animal about to attack me.

I'd run from a fire that I couldn't put out.

I'd run from many things that are appropriate to run from.

So, what if you did run? Was it wrong to run from something dangerous?

If I could find the door, I'd be running right now. Yep.
Add Thank You Reply
I gave up running anywhere several years ago. I sorta mosey around, moving at a pace that allows me to feel, see, smell and hear things that I spent my life glossing over everyday. I like me better and most that knew me will never understand.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Matlock for this post:
NoMadYesHappy (12-28-2017)
There is no such thing as freedom without money. Everything in this world is money based if we don't have it we can not eat, cloth ourselves, place a roof over our heads, fuel our cars or medicate ourselves when we get ill. Most of us will be sort of running away from something or other whether that be a bad marriage, horrible job situation, running away from bad memories of wars, being bullied and battered in a relationship or what ever the case maybe.

Some of us will end up homeless, others in a better job and others on the road to retirement. What happens is we just learn to adapt to our situation what ever the case maybe and just make the most of it.

I'm just a realist and no more a dreamer.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Mizzi for this post:
GeorgiePorgie (Yesterday)
(Yesterday, 01:29 PM)Mizzi Wrote: There is no such thing as freedom without money. Everything in this world is money based if we don't have it we can not eat, cloth ourselves, place a roof over our heads, fuel our cars or medicate ourselves when we get ill. 

Yep. "Having money" makes everything a thousand times easier than "not having money". That is a brutally simple fact of life in 21st century America.

But, since we are dragging "class" into this, might as well bring "race" into it too.....

One thing all of us in the dwelling community have noticed (though few of us ever wanna actually talk about it out loud) is that we are, as a community, lily-white. Since people who are NOT lily-white make up a disproportionate share of poor and homeless people in the USA, one would expect that if our reasons for vehicle-dwelling were purely economic and due to housing prices lack of jobs etc etc etc, the community of poor vehicle dwellers would also be disproportionately made up of people of color. It is decidedly NOT. Which means that the premise is wrong---either our reasons for dwelling are not purely economic, there is some non-economic factor which keeps people of color out of the community, or the community is not as economically poor and downtrodden as some might like to think.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
GeorgiePorgie (Yesterday)
I believe people with camping experience tend to try #vanlife. People in the poor inner cities often aren’t people who camp. I don’t think it is a race issue but instead an exposure issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 Ford F250 and a 30ft Springdale Travel Trailer. Happily full time since 7/2016.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Blanch for this post:
Cammalu (Yesterday), Murphie (Yesterday)
Yes, i also think this is a factor. I've done a LOT of hiking and backpacking in my day, and it is rare to find anyone on a hiking trail who is not lily-white. And that does not seem to me to be an economic issue--I often see hikers who range from having the latest expensive equipment from REI to having stuff bought in the local Walmart.

There is also of course the simple brutal fact that race matters in the USA--and to some people, it matters a LOT. There are sadly a lot of goobers who do not even want "those people" to live in the same country as them, much less having them parking in their neighborhoods at night. The experience of a young African-American guy who goes Walmart-camping across the US would be very much different than that of a middle-aged white guy. Especially in some areas of the country.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
Cammalu (Today)
Plenty of urban people camping in urban areas. A stones throw from the white house I used to see laundry hanging on construction fences. Across the street from the state dept they would shut the park down to clean out all the feces and trash. urban people aka homeless are everywhere. Cities are now closing urban campgrounds and bulldozing the sites. Plenty of documentaries of people living in subway tunnels, under bridges, in cars and everywhere else. These folks aren't camping per se but they are living outdoors in makeshift shelters because of economics or mental health. You can't lump any group of people together and make sweeping generalizations because there are just as many exceptions as there are apt descriptions.
Add Thank You Reply