Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Efficient Refrigerator DIY
Do you have condensation like the converted chest freezers?
Say good night, Dick.
Add Thank You Reply
I would think any condensation would indicate not nearly enough insulation.

Therefore poor efficiency
Add Thank You Reply
I think he means condensation on the inside...
Add Thank You Reply
(11-17-2017, 12:15 PM)ChetLazar Wrote: Do you have condensation like the converted chest freezers?

Yes.  I keep a piece of terry cloth towel towel in it.  When it gets wet I switch it with another.  Since the freezer compartment doesn't stay frozen it's like defrosting the fridge all the time.  It's like a couple of teaspoons of water every day.  It isn't a problem like melting ice.  

There's no condensation on the outside.  The area where the magnetic gasket seals isn't even cool.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Trebor English for this post:
frater secessus (11-17-2017)
If you were to increase the solar panel to about 200W, the fridge would cause very little discharge on the battery. The battery's role would be to provide start up current during the surge.

In this refrigeration system, instead of storing electricity in a battery to run the compressor when the sun goes down, solar energy is stored in chilled ice. Chilled ice is a lot cheaper than a battery.

Add Thank You Reply
(11-12-2017, 08:43 AM)Trebor English Wrote: A little bit of fridge makes eating much better than shelf stable only.  It doesn't take much.  

Mine is about 20 quarts minus 2.5 quarts of water/ice so 17.5.  What size is yours?

a bit smaller in size, about $300 larger in price, LoL

BUT, I've also got all the silly things to run it- disco golf cart batteries, nifty expenso inverter thingy, flashy, big panels the Po-Po look at every time they pass

Funny, the economy really took off just as I was buying everything for it...

I'm thinking you need the board's McGyver award!
Add Thank You Reply
I have decided that I will not use Atlantic Ocean water.  

I was cleaning the fridge.  I took the zip lock bags of water out of the freezer compartment and cleaned and dried the inside of the fridge.  When I went to put the bags back I saw that I had torn one.  I managed to clean up some of the water but some got into the carpet.  It was regular fresh water so there's no problem.  If it had been salt water there would be a problem.  So even though Atlantic Ocean water would keep things colder, I'm going to stick with fresh water.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
Google polar tubes, or use freezer packs, permanent glued containers rather than relying on flimsy ziplocs.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-18-2017, 03:33 PM)John61CT Wrote: Google polar tubes, or use freezer packs, permanent glued containers rather than relying on flimsy ziplocs.

How do you freeze polar tubes?  Do you just put them in a freezer?  How long does it take for them to freeze?
Add Thank You Reply
Depends on the diameter of the tubing, 4" takes much longer than 1", and 2" in between.

Also seawater much longer than plain, in fact you can select eutectic solutions with different freezing temperature points to suit your freezer.

A freezer set to 28° may never freeze seawater.

The maximum energy absorption comes from the phase change, so you definitely want the solution to be solid before transferring to the cooler.

But with a high-salt solution and a very good super-cooler, the tubes will continue to work well for 7-10 days even after the solution has melted, still well below 30° internally.

TL;DR "it's complicated"
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  energy efficient refrigerator K1ngN0thing 68 10,900 03-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Off Grid 24/7