Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Efficient Refrigerator DIY
Yes that's what I meant, rotating sets of tubes between a small freezer and a large super-cooler in lieu of (or supplementing a small) fridge.
Add Thank You Reply
I now have new Ziploc bags of water, no salt.  I wanted to put 10 pounds of water in it.  I tried 3 bags with 3.3 pounds in each.  I tore 2 before I got them in.  Then I tried 5 bags of 2 pounds each.  I tore the fifth one.  I have decided to settle for 8 pounds of ice.  

With that much water in the freezer compartment there is no room for food on top of the ice as there was before.  With no food stored there there will be no spilling into the top of the ice area.  There will be no need to pull out the ice bags to clean it up.  These bags should last a long time without being abused.  

The first compressor run took 8.5 hours.  I used a shore power plug in to get it all frozen in one shot.  Since the water wasn't cold from a prior compressor run the performance is what I expected.  With 8 pounds it freezes about 1 pound per hour after the water gets cooled to close to freezing.  

The testing I did before was when the weather was still hot.  Any testing now with the temperature 20 degrees colder is of much less interest to me so I probably won't bother doing any till it gets close to summer.  I expect that the performance will be the same as before.  Electricity use will be 7 to 12 amp hours per day, less in winter.  Melting will continue to be 2.5 pounds per day, less in winter.  Now there is more ice so it will last more days, 3, without any compressor running.  

I had a thought.  Batteries don't like partial state of charge cycling.  If you recharge to only 80% then discharge some more the lead sulfate that is more deeply buried gets harder to get rid of by charging.  You need more voltage and more time.  The more this happens the harder it is to fully recharge and then battery capacity starts to drop.  By doing the energy storage with ice this doesn't happen.  With my small solar system it happens often that after a couple of rainy days the water doesn't get completely frozen in one day.  The water doesn't have a diminished capacity after partial cycling.  

The first bag that failed was a store brand.  The bags that I tried to use with 3.3 pounds of water were store brand.  For the 5 bags of 2 pounds I bought Ziploc brand.  Four out of 5 had zipper leaks that I fixed with Dicor as before.  I was not surprised.  When putting them in the freezer compartment it was much easier with only 2 pounds of water per bag.  Like all the store brand bags that failed, the tear that leaked was a tiny scratch about a quarter inch long with a pinhole at one spot.  The name brand doesn't appear to be an advantage.  I did find some thick bags, 8 mil, on the internet but a full case of 500 bags is more than I want to spend.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
Now that the space above the ice is not available for food I have recalculated.  The space for food is now 13.7 quarts, 12.9 liters, 787 cubic inches.  The freezer compartment is 395 cubic inches.  It isn't full of water but there is so much in there that I can't get more in.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
I said lower ambient temperature testing was less interesting and I probably wouldn't do it.  Being geeky I couldn't resist.  

After 2 days running to stabilize (8.5 hours day 1, 44 minutes day 2)  the next 4 days averaged 9.12 amp hours per day.  The average running current is lower probably because the temperature in the van is lower.  Today it is cloudy so there will be no compressor time.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  energy efficient refrigerator K1ngN0thing 68 10,908 03-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Off Grid 24/7