Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage SM Block vs Big Block
nice truck gun racks and all. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(11-15-2017, 05:57 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: nice truck gun racks and all. 

Agreed, gun racks plenty spiffy!  I love the comfy cab, tho myself would have chosen
something a little less  *Tijuana Bordello*.  

Stranger, seriously now:  while this truck might not have *everything* on my list,
wouldn't it serve me well in the long haul?  I'll be seeing some snow now & again.
And may well be living out a ways off dirt road...  Critique it for me, please.

Charlotte Rolleyes ???
Add Thank You Reply
How much travelling will you be doing in in it? A high-profile 4x4 with a 360 (and probably lower gears) is going to be rough on gas mileage. If you will just be tooling around town, then that won't be too big of a deal.

Points ignition and a carb are simpler but if you break down on the interstate, finding someone who would know how to work on it may be a problem. If you're willing to spend $11k + on a 45 year old truck, I guess you could afford to weather a breakdown now and then?
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
critique, ok. I like that truck. however my first choice would be a Chevy. why, many more of them have survived which means a lot more choices. also better aftermarket support. several aftermarket companies selling parts. a lot more new old stock(NOS) floating around. Chevy's are much better for interchangeability of parts. any engine will bolt to any transmission and any combination will bolt right in a Chevy truck from that era. there are several Fords and Dodges that I would never recommend. there are only a couple of Chevy's I would stay away from. ok back to the Ford like I said I like that truck. I would never pay that much for it. the deal killer for me is the 360 engine. Ford only used this engine for a couple of years. I would have to research what engine could bolt in for replacement. I would want a 351 or 460. the high boy means it has a divorced transfer case which means it has a drive shaft between the transmission and transfer case. that's a whole other part to maintain and fix. if that drive shaft fails you are DOA. so if it was cheaper and a 351 or 460 can bolt right in I could recommend it. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Charlotte's Web (11-15-2017)
(11-15-2017, 07:59 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: "...if it was cheaper and a 351 or 460 can bolt right in I could recommend it."

Thanks, Stranger.
When you explain it clearly, like that, I can begin to see "what's what's". 
So far, most still Greek to me. But I'm another small notch up the learning curve...
(there's something I really like about that truck.)

And not just the gun rack!  

Wink Charlotte
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Charlotte's Web for this post:
highdesertranger (11-15-2017)
like I said I like it too. I like the Square body Fords and Chevy's. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(11-15-2017, 08:35 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: "...like I said I like it too.  I like the Square body Fords and Chevy's." 

In future searches I will know to avoid the Highboys....for the reasons you mentioned.
Probably just as well.  I am only 5ft 2" tall.  Even with the step it would be a big hike up
into the cab! 

I compensate with attitude & my Rayban aviators, which I never take off. Cool Don't laugh!
A pair of Raybans at border crossings or when flagged over by Mexican federales for random
passport checks really gives me an edge.  Tho once I had to bribe one of those thugs with my
favorite pair to avoid having my camp stove commandeered.

Confused Charlotte

'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Charlotte's Web for this post:
highdesertranger (11-15-2017)
On Facebook there are several vintage truck groups, I belong to several Dodge ones such as "Dodge sweptline swap and shop" " there are several others. There are always nice vintage trucks for sale cheap on these sites. Also, i have a 65 Dodge D100 that I drove daily for 7 years in the Mojave desert, an extremely reliable vehicle. I have a newer truck now so I just use it as a backup, the slant 6 hums along like new, and has a 727 Automatic transmission that has given me no problems also. The manual steering and manual 4 wheel drum brakes can be a handful though, especially on twisty mountains (in fact dangerous).
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Itripper for this post:
Charlotte's Web (11-16-2017)
(11-15-2017, 09:26 PM)Charlotte\s Web Wrote: Tho once I had to bribe one of those thugs with my
favorite pair to avoid having my camp stove commandeered.

Big Grin
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Like many people, i really don't have a choice of buying the $20,000 vehicle.
We've always had free, $50- $1500 vehicles and they've served me extremely well.
The vehicles were tortured past any claim of reasonable use.
What broke?
Over the years and miles- nothing worth mentioning.
That doesn't mean there wasn't constant care- check oil, replace rusty brake line, paint rusty wheels, etc.

Most claims of a vehicle being a POS are simply classism- if it doesn't cost $$$$, then it's a POS.

When it becomes a POS, reasonable care stops- shortly thereafter, so does the vehicle.

But, if you can keep a transporter going, why would you ask for advice from idiots like us? LoL
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to UptownSport for this post:
slow2day (11-16-2017)