Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women Only: Power Tools [split from W-RTR]
Glad to see someone else was thinking about tools!  I'm looking at cordless right now as I'm going to need them to build the bed and shelf.  I hated the idea of spending money and then having to leave them behind.  But then thought that maybe if I went with cordless I might be able to charge them with my solar panel....But then realized I don't know enough about solar panels to know if this is even possible.  So much to learn.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to yo rockie for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-13-2017), Nissi (11-12-2017), duckwonder (11-12-2017)
Cordless is the way to go, even if you aren't in an RV... so much better than the corded tools.

Smile
Nissi     Smile

Nissan NV2500 High Top
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Nissi for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-13-2017), yo rockie (11-13-2017)
Thanks Nissi,
Well then, that's decided!  I'm going to try to find a small cordless today.  Hopefully, it will be useful even after I make my platform bed and shelf.  At the very least, I'm sure someone will need a tool on the road and I can help them out.
Add Thank You Reply
Home Depot here rents tools too. So if its something youll only use once or twice, maybe thats the way to go.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Genie for this post:
yo rockie (11-13-2017)
Thanks Genie!  That's something I didn't know about and will look into.
Add Thank You Reply
Whatever you get keep it the same brand and voltage (like 18 or 20 etc) and you can switch batteries between multiple tools and have to keep only one charger. I like the dewalt brand.
1997 Class B Dodge van 3500.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to bigsallysmom for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-13-2017), yo rockie (11-13-2017)
(11-13-2017, 11:26 AM)bigsallysmom Wrote: Whatever you get keep it the same brand and voltage (like 18 or 20 etc) and you can switch batteries between multiple tools and have to keep only one charger.  I like the dewalt brand.

That's a good tip.  Thank you.  I've had Makita before and was very happy with them.  I guess my question really is: are they chargeable with the electric I'd capture with a solar panel?
Add Thank You Reply
(11-13-2017, 12:32 PM)yo rockie Wrote: That's a good tip.  Thank you.  I've had Makita before and was very happy with them.  I guess my question really is: are they chargeable with the electric I'd capture with a solar panel?

Yes, they are!

Some are available with 12V charging - it's a small step up to the 19V?? that most are IIRC. The other choice is the standard 120V charger plugged in to a small inverter but that means taking 12V up to 120V and then back down to the 18 or 19V of the charger.

It will all depend on how much solar you  have and how much you need to charge the batteries which of course will depend on how often you use them.

If you're still in a S&B situation and want just to do your own build take a look at pawn shops and buy the minimum amount of power tools you can get away with. Unless you can't possibly reach with a 100' power cord then simple inexpensive old fashioned plug in tools will get the job done. If you're in to collecting tools like a lot of the guys are here, then have at the new cordless power tools, otherwise spend your money on other stuff!

Personally, I found that all my cordless tools always seemed to run out of power just when I was trying to finish a job. Without a second or third battery pack I was done for the day!!

I did my entire build with only a jigsaw and a drill and did just fine! My most favorite tools weren't power tools anyways!
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
yo rockie (11-14-2017)
(11-13-2017, 02:02 PM)Almost There Wrote: Yes, they are!

Some are available with 12V charging - it's a small step up to the 19V?? that most are IIRC. The other choice is the standard 120V charger plugged in to a small inverter but that means taking 12V up to 120V and then back down to the 18 or 19V of the charger.

It will all depend on how much solar you  have and how much you need to charge the batteries which of course will depend on how often you use them.

If you're still in a S&B situation and want just to do your own build take a look at pawn shops and buy the minimum amount of power tools you can get away with. Unless you can't possibly reach with a 100' power cord then simple inexpensive old fashioned plug in tools will get the job done. If you're in to collecting tools like a lot of the guys are here, then have at the new cordless power tools, otherwise spend your money on other stuff!

Personally, I found that all my cordless tools always seemed to run out of power just when I was trying to finish a job. Without a second or third battery pack I was done for the day!!

I did my entire build with only a jigsaw and a drill and did just fine! My most favorite tools weren't power tools anyways!

Well, thanks Almost There, you seem to have a good grasp on the subject!  Maybe you can help me with this question: I had some Makita power tools before and was going to go that route again.  They were 18V.  I'm wondering if I should go with the less powerful 12V this time?  Would it be a better match for charging with solar?  I've been intending to go to Home Depot or Lowes but I'm pretty sure they won't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Add Thank You Reply
I bought the Ryobi that Bob recommended in one of his videos. They are cordless, but I could use another battery. I was terribly frightened of them- especially the skill saw because my dad had a bad accident once. But, I overcame the fear and have used the electric drill, skill saw, and jigsaw.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to ValerieP for this post:
ClassyGlobal (11-21-2017), KathyC (11-15-2017), yo rockie (11-14-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women Only: Travel together to RTR via I-10? [split from W-RTR] Shift Chick 25 1,388 01-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Last Post: AsphaltGypsy