Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing diff gears...
I would not put a 700r behind a 6.2. much better would be a 4L80. or a Gear Vender OD on the T400. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(11-14-2017, 09:25 AM)highdesertranger Wrote: GM 3/4 and 1 tons from that era used the GM 14bolt rear axles.  

Yes, recalled the short hubs after posting.

Regardless, a manual swap would likely be about same ballpark and resultant fuel/performance/reliability would be the gift that keeps giving.

The amount of fuel that ended up being burnt to heat the heat exchanger in Americans love of the slushbox couldn't be calculated. Relative a manual, these three speeds were a double digit efficiency penalty.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-15-2017, 09:35 AM)UptownSport Wrote: The amount of fuel that ended up being burnt to heat the heat exchanger in Americans love of the slushbox couldn't be calculated. Relative a manual, these three speeds were a double digit efficiency penalty.

It's disappointing to me that NONE of the American pickups (or vans) can be bought new with a manual transmission now, except for a very expensive Dodge work pickup with the diesel, and it is over 50 grand!

In my opinion, any vehicle pulling a trailer over about 1000 pounds should have a 'stick'...but that's just me....
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
unfortunately a large portion of the population don't know how to dive a stick. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
When I bought a standard shift truck the salesman said at least it would be unlikely to be stolen as most crooks don't how to drive one.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
gsfish (11-15-2017)
(11-15-2017, 02:55 PM)bullfrog Wrote: When I bought a standard shift truck the salesman said at least it would be unlikely to be stolen as most crooks don't how to drive one.

Doubly so if it is non-syncro'd
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply
True that.

Still, the choice of a manual transmission should be available in American trucks just like it is with some sports cars and Japanese pickups.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
A manual swap seems to me to be more complicated than it's worth no?
One... Two... FIVE! (...three sir...) THREE!

2000 Chevy Astro AWD

The techno-gypsy.

Add Thank You Reply