Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the shop...again
they probably did this but have they blown all the fuel lines out with air and replaced all the rubber fuel lines? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The fuel lines were replaced back in March. I requested that all hoses, belts, gaskets, etc be replaced. Basically anything rubber.

Of course, I have been constantly unpleasantly surprised by yet another one that wasn't done..even though I keep requiring it from ever mechanic.

I will ask about it again tomorrow. Replace
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
Kat!  you said you were going to get some sleep.  Did you get some sleep??  I'm worried about you!   Sad
title~ "Deliberate Discharge", 2 'Stinkin' Badges',  1 'Flying Manure Spreader'  1 'Pink Elephant' Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
it only takes one 1 inch piece of bad rubber hose to cause a problem. some times you will have rubber lines out of the tank going into steel lines and the mechanic see's the steel lines in the front so they assume that it's steel all the way. but low and behold in the middle of the run there is a small section of rubber hose in the middle that they missed it, maybe because it's hidden or a previous owner installed another fuel filter. I have seen this before. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
tx2sturgis (11-15-2017)
So, I have a new perspective this morning.

I will be having some "words" with GoodSams. They will pay towing. I know there were other tow companies a lot closer...and 21' is little. The real reason was that GoodSams pays such a small amount no one will take the job.

To give you a bit of history...that line for propane was installed by a mechanic in Sanford, NC. Last year. I wasn't there. I dropped everything to rush to Colorado to be with my parents. When I came out in June because of Mom's stroke,,I found my Dad was in even worse shape! Really advanced dementia brought caused by hydrocephalus that have been untreated for years! I dropped everything to move to Colorado...but, my dream of converting that old Honeywell didn't die. I hired a series of mechanics to work over there..... I am certain that my absence gave these guys what they thought was a license to rip me off. I could write a book about them!

So, Simpsons (who has been truely great) drove Honey after replacing the line...the transmission is fine! Thank goodness for that! They dropped the tank, and inspection showed the tank was good. At first the pump seemed good too....but, with the last call last night, I was told the pump nearly fell apart putting it back in. The internal inspection revealed serious corrosion and faulty connections. Simpsons feels sure this was the source of the problem. This was a new part! But, clearly not. The manufacturer will cover these costs under warranty. Simpsons will seek redress on the towing too. Those people are just great! I already wrote a glowing reference for them....I highly recommend them.

So, I want to bring up another far more important and dangerous issue.

inspection under the engine revealed that the installation of the mounting on the front for my electric bicycle was about to fall off! A bolt was already missing...and the rest were loose! When (not if) that let go..the hitch, mounting, and bicycle would have fallen right in front of the RV...the accident would have done horrific damage and possibly even killed me.

I had that mount welded on yesterday. Something that should have been done to begin with! The guy that installed that didn't do the right job. Another case of a guy paid to do a job and just didn't care enough to do it right!

So..this morning I am thinking that what happened on Tuesday driving in Utah was actually Good Karma! The mechanical issues probably saved me from a massively serious accident!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
bullfrog (11-16-2017), highdesertranger (11-16-2017)
Karma works in mysterious ways. I was so sad for you, to be reading yesterday of your latest mechanical failings. It seems like you have gone through so much to hit the road again and kudos to you for keeping your head up and persevering!!!
Sending out some good thoughts and karma on your behalf  Sleepy
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tav-2020 for this post:
RoamingKat (11-16-2017)
(11-16-2017, 06:29 AM)RoamingKat Wrote:  pump nearly fell apart putting it back in. The internal inspection revealed serious corrosion and faulty connections.

Wonder how it became corroded in such a short amount of time?
If i understood it was recently replaced.
Sounds like a fuel pressure guage is a good idea- at least you know, if it were to die again- God forbid- that one item can be ruled out.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to UptownSport for this post:
JustACarSoFar (11-16-2017), RoamingKat (11-16-2017)
I have encountered parts suppliers passing off used or rebuilt as new. I always require the shop to give me a warranty on every new parts. But....maybe it wasn't replaced? Or, an old one laying around was used instead? I am not going to accuse anyone......

Simpsons is just as disgusted by this as I. I think they will not use that supplier.
But, meanwhile...they are honoring the warranty regardless of the manufacturer or supplier...that is actually far more than I could expect!!

Still...if it hadn't failed...I would have driven the RV to the point of destroying the new transmission because of the hose....or until a catastrophic accident because of the bicycle hitch failing on the front. This was good karma. Costly as this has been (still plan to recover the cost) it is far cheaper compared to what would have happened given some more time!!!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
This world isn't home (11-16-2017)
hopefully this is the end of it. hopefully. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(11-16-2017, 08:45 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: Simpsons is just as disgusted by this as I. I think they will not use that supplier.
But, meanwhile...they are honoring the warranty regardless of the manufacturer or supplier...that is actually far more than I could expect!!

Guess they never used that supplier before? Lots of cheap pumps out there and shops will use them to keep your end cost down (or to max their profit). A Motorcraft pump would probably cost a couple hundred $ more.

I sure hope you get everything sorted out so you can enjoy some travel.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply