Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the shop...again
(11-16-2017, 02:47 PM)Vonbrown Wrote:  ethanol ... eating plastic and rubber components.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel...tages.html
Petroleum Institute propaganda.

Go to your local ethanol station (aka. The Bar) and order a double. Bring along two ounces of gasoline and, after drinking both, try to determine which of the two is a more nasty fuel.

They love to conflate the corrosive methanol with the nearly harmless* ethanol, and we love to repeat it.

Ethanol is an excellent fuel-  there's multiple reasons NASCAR switched to it.

* Will cause unintended pregnancy in cases
Add Thank You Reply
(11-17-2017, 07:15 AM)UptownSport Wrote: Petroleum Institute propaganda.

Go to your local ethanol station (aka. The Bar) and order a double. Bring along two ounces of gasoline and, after drinking both, try to determine which of the two is a more nasty fuel.

They love to conflate the corrosive methanol with the nearly harmless* ethanol, and we love to repeat it.

Ethanol is an excellent fuel-  there's multiple reasons NASCAR switched to it.

* Will cause unintended pregnancy in cases

Popular Mechanics disagrees, in this article under bolded subject line "Other Alcohol Issues,"
Alcohol is corrosive and can degrade plastic, rubber or even metal parts in the fuel system that weren't engineered to use alcohol-bearing fuel. Consequently, that antique Evinrude outboard or '60s lawn tractor you bought at the swap meet might need some upgrading to stay together on today's gas. That means corrosion-resistant tanks, alcohol-tolerant rubber lines, seals and fuel-pump diaphragms, and plastic fuel-system parts that won't swell up in the presence of alcohol. 
According to the article, adding Ethanol was a political move by Congress. Remember, We're from the Government, and we're here to help?
Link to source. ---> http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hyb...ge-engine/
Now the pregnancy thing is a whole other subject. Tongue
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Matlock (11-17-2017)
ever notice the problem of water in fuel in basically non-existent now?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ped for this post:
UptownSport (11-18-2017)
(11-17-2017, 05:14 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: I asked Simpsons to double check the lines and fittings. They did.

If using rubber lines, I'd want to have two clamps on each end of the lines. Also clamps that don't cut into the rubber. Just sayin'...
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
I was told they are a hard poly-plastic. New
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
(11-17-2017, 12:41 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: I was told they are a hard poly-plastic.  New

Oh,okay. Like the high-pressure nylon tubing they use for fuel injection and maybe compression fittings.

Sounds like they did a quality repair.

Good luck on your test run!

Add Thank You Reply
(11-17-2017, 08:17 AM)Ballenxj Wrote: antique Evinrude outboard
have her check that's there's not a 1955 Evinrude Fastwin outboard powering her Winebago, LoL
Add Thank You Reply
Well, it's off topic but WTH:
Ethanol produces less power than gasoline so they sure aren't using it to gain an advantage in speed. That's because all competitors would have to use the same fuel. Nascar using ethanol has more to do with sponsorship and pleasing those who produce and promote ethanol than anything else.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slow2day for this post:
Ballenxj (11-18-2017)
(11-18-2017, 09:43 AM)UptownSport Wrote: have her check that's there's not a 1955 Evinrude Fastwin outboard powering her Winebago, LoL
Actually, that's not what I wrote. I linked to an articles that states ethanol is indeed corrosive. I believe that was the issue at hand. See post 32. 
I did quote a paragraph from that article. Is it corrosive? I couldn't say one way or the other, but I do consider Popular Mechanics to be a fairly reliable source.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-18-2017, 10:01 AM)slow2day Wrote: Well, it's off topic but WTH:
Ethanol produces less power than gasoline so they sure aren't using it to gain an advantage in speed. That's because all competitors would have to use the same fuel. Nascar using ethanol has more to do with sponsorship and pleasing those who produce and promote ethanol  than anything else.

mmmm no. lots of private drag racers use alcohol. most people who switch to alcohol never go back. you make so much more power with it because it runs cooler and you can have way higher compression ratios. It's cheaper and much safer in conditions of pitstops. It has less energy per unit, so you run it much richer.
Add Thank You Reply