Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the shop...again
Alcohol always scared me after watching some of the old Indy car fires with no visible flames.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-18-2017, 03:35 PM)ped Wrote: lots of private drag racers use alcohol. most people who switch to alcohol never go back. you make so much more power with it because it runs cooler and you can have way higher compression ratios. It's cheaper and much safer in conditions of pitstops. It has less energy per unit, so you run it much richer.

I haven't followed drag racing for many years but I do remember that 'alcohol' meant methanol. It may be that ethanol is used in dragsters these days but I'm sure it's not the garden variety you get at the pump. The fuel requirements of a dragster that is designed to run on ethanol for a few seconds, perhaps mainly in good weather, are a lot different from every day requirements of normal older vehicles used in all kinds of weather.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to slow2day for this post:
highdesertranger (11-18-2017), Ballenxj (11-18-2017)
(11-18-2017, 06:03 PM)slow2day Wrote: I haven't followed drag racing for many years but I do remember that 'alcohol' meant methanol.  It may be that ethanol is used in dragsters these days but I'm sure it's not the garden variety you get at the pump. The fuel requirements of a dragster that is designed to run on ethanol for a few seconds, perhaps mainly in good weather, are a lot different from every day requirements of normal older vehicles used in all kinds of weather.

When a vehicle is purpose built to run a specific fuel, you can bet your bottom dollar they use fittings and components that will handle that fuel.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
slow2day (11-18-2017)
Pump gas with ethanol will not be a problem if it doesn't sit in storage. In my van it is in the tank and out the exhaust too fast for any problems. I use additive in the gas-cans with no problems after more than 12 months. Fiberglass tanks on marine vehicles have had reported problems. There are a lot of stories passed on as truth by repetition.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-18-2017, 06:03 PM)slow2day Wrote: I haven't followed drag racing for many years but I do remember that 'alcohol' meant methanol.  It may be that ethanol is used in dragsters these days but I'm sure it's not the garden variety you get at the pump. The fuel requirements of a dragster that is designed to run on ethanol for a few seconds, perhaps mainly in good weather, are a lot different from every day requirements of normal older vehicles used in all kinds of weather.

The main design differences are a higher flowing fuel pump and a bigger carb/EFI. Plenty of other types of racing uses ethanol (not methanol) too. Dirt track for example.
Add Thank You Reply
comparing race vehicles to street vehicles is like comparing apples to elephants. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
slow2day (11-19-2017), bullfrog (11-19-2017), Ballenxj (11-18-2017)
wtf are you talking about? the guy claimed ethanol makes race cars slower and using it is sanctioning body politics.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ped for this post:
bardo (11-18-2017)