Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyers Remorse might be starting...
Sooo....I bought a used 2015 Chevy Express Cargo with about 24k miles on it in May. I've built it out, it's enjoyable to camp in, and super clean. The problem:  I have a fairly steep concrete driveway. On numerous occasions I've noticed that if I stop in the middle, I'm stuck. Doesn't seem to matter if it is dry or wet. Even if I'm gentle on the gas in low gear, still spins and just burns up rubber. Is this normal in a van like mine?  Anything I might install via factory parts or after market that would take care of this?  Winter is coming and I'm not feeling good about driving in the rain, let alone a light snow!  My tires are the stock Bridgestones that come new with the van. TIA for any ideas...
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
Don't stop in the middle...LOL. Sorry.

Adding some extra weight directly over the rear wheels might help.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slow2day for this post:
Ballenxj (11-18-2017)
I'd want to see a pic of the driveway. Does your van have limited slip? Also, a more aggressive tire would be better than the stock Bridgestones that are no doubt a highway tread.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
How steep is your driveway?
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
(11-18-2017, 08:00 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: I'd want to see a pic of the driveway. Does your van have limited slip? Also, a more aggressive tire would be better than the stock Bridgestones that are no doubt a highway tread.

I'd guess it is about a 30-35 degree incline. Apparently since only 1 wheel spins, I don't have a slip diff. I just can't get over the fact that this, on paper, is a heavy truck. Seems like a v-8, low gear, and smooth throttle would go on the dry. I'm dreading Pittsburgh winter already.
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
1) Don't try to go up the hill if you're stopped. Go down the hill (backwards if necessary) until you can get proper traction, then utilize some speed going back up.
2) Change out the tires for something that'll give better traction.
3) Try throwing an extra 500 pounds of something over the rear axles and see what happens.
4) Install a winch and winch yourself up!
--
Michael
rvtrek.org
[Image: crvl_sig.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
(11-18-2017, 08:59 PM)wagoneer Wrote: How steep is your driveway?

I see your from SF...having visited numerous times there, I know this van wouldn't be suited for driving your steep city streets, unless you only park facing downhill Sad
Add Thank You Reply
(11-18-2017, 09:04 PM)Artsyguy Wrote: Apparently since only 1 wheel spins, I don't have a slip diff.

I just can't get over the fact that this, on paper, is a heavy truck. Seems like a v-8, low gear, and smooth throttle would go on the dry. I'm dreading Pittsburgh winter already.

As others have mentioned, if you can't get the power to the ground you're just spinning your wheels - literally. I used to own an older Chev 2500HD 4X4. Unbeknownst to me, there was nothing in the drivetrain to prevent one wheel from slipping while the other THREE were standing completely still.

I think you can purchase aftermarket differential locks - often for 4x4/off road enthusiasts, but might not be in your budget/plan, and may not be available for your diff. Sometimes light pressure on the brakes can transfer some power to the non-slipping wheel and get you going again.

Good tires and substantial weight in the back can make a huge improvement in traction.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
Aggressive snow tires year round.

Mod your build so lots of heavy over or rear of the axle: batteries, propane & water tanks. Where's the spare?

Carry chains and salt/sand in winter.

Move to a house on a flat lot 8-)
Add Thank You Reply
What IS over your back axle in the van!

Vans are all terribly light weight in the rear end because they were built with carrying cargo in the rear part of the van, same as a pick up truck is light in the rear. 

My first van had to have a 1/2 dozen concrete blocks over the rear axle in the winter or I could guarantee I'd be doing donuts in the lightest of snowy weather.

I had no fear whatsoever of placing the 4 Trojan T105REs right over the rear axle on my 2002 GMC Savana because I knew I not only needed the weight there but that it could handle it with no problem.

Too late for this year but with a concrete drive on that steep of a hill, you might want to consider adding some traction bars to the concrete such as you see on parking garage ramps that are exposed to the weather.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
frater secessus (11-19-2017)