Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyers Remorse might be starting...
You obviously don't have electronic traction control or limited slip differential.

As others have said, adding weight to the rear might help, adding some manual braking with the parking brake, or getting an upgraded rear diff might be the answer.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
I'm going to do some research and see if it is possible to have a ltd slip retrofitted. Probably will be very expensive, if it can be done. Maybe could find one in a salvage yard...the van does have StabilTrack, but no ETC since only one wheel drives. I have a full size bed between the wheel wells with camping gear and stove stored under the bed. I had planned for a battery to go behind the front seat. I envy you flat landers!
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
That's not nearly enough weight...we're talking 300 0r 400 lb extra pounds here.

Also some winter snows will help traction.

IIWM I'd be doing some of the alternatives you've been given before either replacing the rear end or replacing the vehicle.

And while I sounds facetious to say so, don't stop in the middle of the hill! Get a running start at it to get all the way to the top. With such a steep hill, I'd be more worried about  not being able to stop at the bottom... Rolleyes
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
That is one advantage of the little foreign mini-vans, engine is always right over the drive axle.

My Toyota, Honda, VW vehicles (not just vans) over the years have all had great traction and snow handling, right back to 50's models.

Plus great build quality and longevity, hold their resale value for a reason.
Add Thank You Reply
I am going to play Captain Obvious, what PSI are you running in your tires and what's the max? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
frater secessus (11-19-2017)
Have you tried angling your way up/down the driveway?
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Running 80lbs in rear (per door sticker) As far as the stopping/starting stuff on the steep...I DO know how to drive. I've been dealing with this driveway for 30 plus years. Just not in a large cargo van. Still trying to understand what is normal and not for this behemoth. Everybody preaches keeping your van light during the build, now I'm hearing add cinder blocks :-)
Not sure how snow tires would be a good idea on dry concrete either. I do appreciate everyone's responses!
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
try airing your tires down a little bit. just because the door sticker says 80psi doesn't mean you have to run at 80. just make sure you are not underinflating. and dang a 30% grade is like 3 feet up for every 10 feet traveled. that is one hell of a grade. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
frater secessus (11-19-2017)
(11-19-2017, 01:18 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: and dang a 30% grade is like 3 feet up for every 10 feet traveled.  that is one hell of a grade. highdesertranger

Now you're being Mr. Obvious.  Big Grin I had them down to 65lbs, but that triggered the tire sensors and I don't like glowing lights on my dash, so the dealer set them back to 80. It would seem a softer tire would give better grip. But then...I'm afraid of wearing out my tires sooner. Did I mention I'm kinda cheap too?  But yeah...my driveway is a bitch Sad
Add Thank You Reply
question when down to 65psi did it slip on the drive way? were they underinflated? what's the minimum psi that doesn't set the sensor off? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply