Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need encouragement
(11-24-2017, 06:37 PM)Free_to_be_me Wrote: I think you guys are right...and it might be in my best interest to start talking about my plans to travel the world. Let them start focusing on enjoying what time we have left with eachother. If they still have a problem with me, great, no hard feelings about leaving then Smile

Thanks for your support everyone. It’s really helping Me

^^^This!!!^^^ Wishing you all the best, Happy Trails!
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
Free_to_be_me (11-26-2017)
I'm few months shy of being at this for 2 months now. I understand where you are coming from especially with the family (and I spent 10 years being a strict vegetarian while rest of the family are hunters and big time meat eaters so I also understand the diet being criticized. They still insist I've destroyed my life and shortened it by decades. Funny enough rest of them are having major health issues, I'm not. But I'm still going to just magically drop dead in matter of years..... but enough about that rant lol).

With my family there's few that'll either insist I'll die or that I'm a complete failure. Rest tends to be the "we will save you!" Which is kind of them to always wanting to help people but it's what I want and I know they won't understand the car dwelling part and will keep insisting on helping. They fully understand the converting a can or buying a rv and going full time traveling. Just not the willingness of car living to save the money. Than, there's my Mom who wants complete control of everyone to "save them." I don't let her. Yes, it drives her crazy.

You'll be ok. There will be nights you may miss having a home/apartment. I sometimes do. Even days you feel frustrated or even like you have failed. But remember, you haven't. You woke up and kept going and that in itself is not failure. You made a choice and you stuck to it and didn't let anyone convince you otherwise. You followed your dream and your heart. That's winning no matter what.

Funny thing is what kinda helped give me that final push (outside of having a violent roommate) is my Grandma. I love hearing her stories but ones that always brake my heart are the ones of how her own mother controlled her. Even to the point of doing some pretty sneaky things. I loved my great grandma and I know my grandma loved her too but seeing the look of regret in her eyes always killed me. Seeing the dreams she had that she let go of because of family just kills me. And when I told her how I plan on traveling the world and I'm first going to with the Americas with a converted van or RV the look on her face told me to do it. She told me to do it and not to let anyone stop me. And that my Mom (her daughter) can just get over herself. But she still doesn't know I'm living in my car. She would feel horrible about me living in a car. Some how having a converted van or a rv makes it ok for her. I think it's because it's pretty much a home on wheels where I'll have a way to cook, bath, use the bathroom, and a bed unlike a car. lol Seeing her face when I said my plans and her telling me to do it and soon before it's too late just gave me the push. And I knew I would be able to do it sooner if I was willing to live in my car to save $300 a month in rent and gas driving to work (I lived a bit from work prior). I know she knows I won't just vanish and never visit. I already visit her all the time. Even told her I would love to take her anywhere she wants to go and see whenever she wants. All she has to do is pack her bags and tell me.

I found that having a friend that knows and not judging me helps. I know I can have mini rants when needed and he won't lecture on how I made a huge mistake. He understands that no matter what we do in life, even following our dreams, there will be parts we don't like. Sadly one friend I told wasn't understanding like I thought and know views me as a complete failure and tries to do the "look at me, I'm helping this poor helpless person that made bad choices that I foresaw." Needless to say he's not in my life anymore.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to dragonstar85 for this post:
Free_to_be_me (11-26-2017)
(11-25-2017, 06:02 AM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: He's making lots of plans for outfitting a van for me, but i think it's because of "traveling envy."

Well, at least his worrying is him attempting to help you plan out your van instead of trying to steal your van to hide it. lmao!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to dragonstar85 for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-25-2017)
(11-25-2017, 06:02 AM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: I have a similar problem. I'm feeling a little guilty because, even though my children are doing their best to be supportive, they are worrying about my taking off on my own. They're not really against it - just kinda worried sick. My son jokingly said, "Mom! It's inconvenient!" I promised him that he would not have to fly 3000 miles to identify my dead bloated body (poor kid!).  He's making lots of plans for outfitting a van for me, but i think it's because of "traveling envy." Ha. I'm not particularly concerned about what anybody else thinks of my decision; i just don't want to be worrying the kids. But, being all cozied up in a boring, going nowhere (safe) apartment is not my idea of living - it feels like a prison. So, i have cut the ties and have to be on the road by this time next week. The scary part of that is, i still have whole rooms that need to be packed up, donated or trashed and I'm running out of time.. And scared. Not afraid of traveling alone; afraid of meeting people, of checking to see whether this unique, amazing group of ppl will actually be as accepting as everyone here in the forums seems. So far, the encouragement everyone offers in general has helped me so much.  Thank you guys! I'll get there, and it won't be on a guilt trip...  

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Hey Linda 

I'll send you a PM later today.  I'm with you in spirit my new friendSmile  I'll be at the RTR site later today and definitely send you those pix of the area as promised and any details of how I got to the area.
Driving "Ms Daisy"
2005  30 ft Class C "Sunseeker" (literally and figuratively)  
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ms Daisy for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-25-2017)
(11-25-2017, 06:02 AM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: . So, i have cut the ties and have to be on the road by this time next week. The scary part of that is, i still have whole rooms that need to be packed up, donated or trashed and I'm running out of time.. 

Hey Linda, if it helps:  I sent a ton of stuff over to my local auction house.  Made the sorting so much easier.  And, I'll be picking up a check for it on Tuesday.    I would have just donated or given it away as I don't have the time or energy to do another yard sale.   Might be worth looking into.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
Free_to_be_me (11-26-2017), Gardenias (11-26-2017), Linda Cripple-Creek (11-25-2017)
(11-25-2017, 06:02 AM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: But, being all cozied up in a boring, going nowhere (safe) apartment is not my idea of living - it feels like a prison.
Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts.  It feels like a prison!
No hurry ... No worry
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to BikeBoomer for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-26-2017)
Hello free_to_be_me,

It's alright to be nervous when starting off this lifestyle. I've been living full-time in my car since I was 18 (now 24) and believe me I was beyond nervous in the beginning. As for people pushing to know how you live just be honest. I've always told people I'm a car-dweller but always made a positive note on it, usually saying "I wanted to travel" or "I want to try something new".

There are a lot of us dwellers out there (countless at this point). It will feel rough for the first little bit but as long as you are happy with the lifestyle then it can be one of the most rewarding experiences you have. My time dwelling was to be temporary but became addicted to the freedom of going wherever I wanted to go and being apart of an amazing community. So welcome to the dwellers lifestyle, welcome to cheapRVliving and if you have any questions or to chat PM me.

- Jamie
"Captain of the S.IX Phoebe"
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to S.IX:Phoebe for this post:
Free_to_be_me (11-26-2017), Linda Cripple-Creek (11-26-2017)
People that don't support what you do may say your homeless. I say I'm not, I have 4 walls and I don't sleep on the streets. I'm free and I can leave anytime I like, can you?
I feel if you live in any vehicle, tent, trailer ect your not homeless.
June 24th 2017 I took the plunge on full-time living in a truck with camper shell. Loved it. I wished I did this years ago. I was nervous at first and then it got easier as each day passed. A few months ago I added to a mini trailer. Love it even more. You have to make yourself happy, ignore everyone else non supporting and judgements. Its your life. So go for it! :-}
"Let What You Love Be What You Do"

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Photogal39Travels for this post:
Free_to_be_me (11-26-2017), Linda Cripple-Creek (11-26-2017)
(11-21-2017, 03:47 PM)Mercy200 Wrote: I know and understand how you feel.  I am starting this new life too.

You are doing the things that are making you happy so sometimes that means telling everyone else back off (in a nice way if possible ).

My children are supportive since I have that, but I am very nervous and scared, but doing it anyway.

I have been living in my rv for the past 3 weeks getting use to it. I have a rabbit name Puff that has been out there with me for a week niw, getting use to this new life too. Sad, but.  I think he is doing better than I am lol.

After Thanksgiving I am hitting road.  

Wishing you luck with this new  we are embarking on.

Awww... I grew up with rabbits. I’ve owned just about every species of pet you can, and I have to say that rabbits were one of the best animal companions I’ve ever had, sometimes even better than a dog.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Free_to_be_me for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-26-2017)
(11-24-2017, 10:35 PM)waverider1987 Wrote: How did your situation turn out?  I've wanted to be nomadic for a long time, but I hate the thought of everyone I know feeling bad about my life choices.  I don't want to let them down anymore, but I'm afraid I'm letting myself down trying to meet other peoples expectations rather than my own.

It’s going well. There are two friends that cheer the idea on so I try to remind myself to pay attention to them, and all the support here is wonderful. I’m getting more and More complaints from my family. I told my mom that family is the only thing keeping me on this continent right now and that I would rather travel the world. Told her that the more family drama we get, the easier it is prepare to leave. She confidently said “you won’t leave your family. “ ....oh boy is she in for a big surprise. 

I take a deep breath, and let their comments move past me. It’s not THEIR lifestyle, it’s mine. And I’ve been on depression pills long enough trying to fit into their expectations. Now that I’m doing it my way, I am off medications and healthier than ever. 
Everyone is different, and we need to embrace our true selves....or what’s the point of being you?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Free_to_be_me for this post:
rm.w/aview (11-29-2017), Gardenias (11-27-2017), Linda Cripple-Creek (11-26-2017)