Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those that view long distance road trips as a waste, why?
For those that view long distance road trips as a waste, what brought you to this opinion?
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Time saved is Time Banked* & value added.  *in quality of life context.

Add Thank You Reply
Depends on what you consider a long distance. An old timer at work who had driven from Florida to Canada with his wife while on vacation was asked what he did while he was there. His answer... "I bought a pack of cigarettes".

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
dawnann7 (11-20-2017)
Now, that's a waste.
Add Thank You Reply
I view it as a waste because it's 'unnecessary' travel that burns a lot of fuel, adding to our modern global problems. For the first 30 years the travel was done in Toyotas,Hondas, VWs and motorcycles. The past 15 years by gas hog vans and a Class B. I've viewed it as unnecessary and wasteful but it is something I happily plan to do more of. I just won't be claiming that I'm being 'green' while doing it.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
(11-20-2017, 06:04 PM)slow2day Wrote: I view it as a waste because it's 'unnecessary' travel...

Unnecessary to you and others, perhaps, but very necessary to people like me whose sanity depends on going wherever I want to go whenever I want. I spent 61 years anchored in place and becoming mentally ill because of it.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
Vern (11-28-2017), mayble (11-21-2017), deadwood (11-21-2017), slow2day (11-21-2017)
(11-20-2017, 06:04 PM)slow2day Wrote: I view it as a waste because it's 'unnecessary' travel that burns a lot of fuel, adding to our modern global problems.

Do you think it is different if folks are actually living in their RVs? I imagine you'd have a much smaller footprint and would use much less fuel and electricity, etc., than in a bricks and mortar home. (Speculating here. I haven't actually done the research.)
It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care,
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere! 
 ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
Add Thank You Reply
^
There is such a wide range of how and where people live that it would be very hard to prove which lifestyle is 'greener'. If you lived in a small,well-insulated house that was built 50 years ago that may have passive solar,etc. and drove a sensible, fuel-efficient car for work/errands, I'd think that would be way 'greener' than driving 1000's of miles each year in an RV that got 6 mpg. Of course there is everything in between, so you can't generalize. Sure, getting out of the rat race is great but all the RVs, the transportation infrastructure, Amazon consumerism and all that wouldn't exist without millions who keep their noses to the grindstone.

I put 'unnecessary' in quotes for a reason because everyone will have a different view on that. Now that I'm retired and drive a gas guzzler, I sort of feel that I'm entitled because for 30 years I drove fuel-efficient vehicles. Back in the early '70s I was one of the younger, ecologically aware people that sneered at the older crowd who clung to their yacht-sized cars that averaged 12 mpg. Now, I realize that I was being hypocritical because it was a matter of degree....I still burned fossil fuel with all my 'unnecessary' travels exploring the country.

For people who espouse the green lifestyle, I think they need to have the courage of their convictions and be truly green. Ride bicycles, or walk, build everything from scratch,grow their own food, get away from things that use electricity (like computers...LOL) and not be driving all over the country in gas guzzlers.

How dull that would be for most folks, me included.

Cheers...

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slow2day for this post:
dawnann7 (11-21-2017)
(11-20-2017, 06:04 PM)slow2day Wrote: I view it as a waste because it's 'unnecessary' travel that burns a lot of fuel, adding to our modern global problems.  For the first 30 years the travel was done in Toyotas,Hondas, VWs and motorcycles. The past 15 years by gas hog vans and a Class B.  I've viewed it as unnecessary and wasteful but it is something I happily plan to do more of. I just won't be claiming that I'm being 'green' while doing it.

To be fair, I've driven from coast to coast and from north to south all over the country, and I rack up less than half the miles an average suburban commuter does per year. That's because I spend a month in each city, take the local bus for all my local transportation, and only drive from one city to another, once a month.

PS--compared to a house-dweller, a van-dweller's carbon footprint is a lot smaller. So you ARE being "green" while doing it.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
^
Like I said, there's everything in between and we shouldn't generalize.

Add Thank You Reply
Do you believe others shouldn't have the ability to travel thousands of miles over the road for pleasure?
Working to earn my CDL so I can get ahead & LIVE LIFE!

debitservus.wordpress.com

Time saved is Time Banked* & value added.  *in quality of life context.

Add Thank You Reply