Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amateur radio
How many here are ham radio or other radio operators?  I would love to hear some people during my travels.

KI7LIK
as the saying goes, "freedom is not free" do the work in order to maintain and improve upon the liberty that we have.
Add Thank You Reply
KJ1H right here! From what I’ve read in other posts there’s quite a few hams on here.
- Justin
Add Thank You Reply
(11-21-2017, 01:07 PM)arizonatruck Wrote: How many here are ham radio or other radio operators?

Plenty of of operators and threads on ham here.

kf5rca
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
Thank you.
as the saying goes, "freedom is not free" do the work in order to maintain and improve upon the liberty that we have.
Add Thank You Reply
Full time RVer , ham radio and in MN winters Wink

John
KD0CAC

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
Just worked a FoxSat, AO-91. It flew right over us. 

It's an FM repeater on a new ham satellite recently put in orbit.

Those hams in remote areas (no urban jungle in the way) with a 50w mobile and a decent mobile antenna can work this one!

145.960 downlink. (set your receiver to this freq) 

435.250 uplink, with a 67hz tone.

Here is the tracking page:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=43015 

And here is the detailed RF info to correct for doppler shift on transmit:

It's moving at around 4.6 miles per second, but its about 400-600 miles up so it has about a 1000 mile footprint as it passes over you.

Good luck!
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
highdesertranger (12-07-2017), Peterson (12-07-2017)
Since I've not worked a satellite before, what constitutes a decent mobile antenna?  A 5/8 whip would do it or no?

Peterson
Add Thank You Reply
Yep! Some hams have worked this one with a 5w handheld and portable yagi.

Of course a yagi or quad does work better, but most of us don't carry a dual band portable or azi-ele CP yagi with us on the road, other than for special events. 

But yes, if you can hear it, when it passes over within say 300 miles of you, then you can work it. Comms are very quick and very short! Over the last 2 weeks, I have even heard it twice via tropo when it was out over the Atlantic...

If it passes directly over you, with that type of antenna, it will probably fade out, but give it a half minute or so, and it will be back in your antenna's gain pattern. 

If you have a dual band, dual receive mobile, program one memory on VHF for the receive, and just keep listening or scanning. 

Program the uplinks on the UHF side in at least one or two memories and then you will be ready to go.

IF you hear it, use high power, and throw your callsign out a few times. If you can operate full duplex, you will hear your voice thru the repeater. 

If you hear your voice, others will also.

Good luck!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Peterson (12-08-2017)
Neat! Back in the day I contacted the Mir space station with my regular base station, 45 watts and an omnidirectional vertical antenna. I can hear the ISS on a handheld radio easily. Now I may have to go try AO-91 from the car!
- Justin
Add Thank You Reply
(12-07-2017, 09:57 PM)White+Nerdy Wrote: Neat! Back in the day I contacted the Mir space station with my regular base station, 45 watts and an omnidirectional vertical antenna. I can hear the ISS on a handheld radio easily. Now I may have to go try AO-91 from the car!

Cool!

I have made exactly seven space contacts with astronauts. A few of those contacts, I was able to record, and at least one that I know of was recorded by someone in Nebraska, and the audio file was on their website for awhile.

Seven might sound like quite a few but that's only 7 contacts in 31 years of being a ham. 

So it's not that many. 

But I have made numerous ground to ground contacts thru ARISS and other orbiting systems over the years....too many to count. 

For me it's an interesting 'extra', since I have not spent any time or money to set up a station dedicated to satellite work.

http://www.ariss.org/
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amateur radio highdesertranger 133 12,047 09-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Last Post: pnolans
  Amateur Radio Field Day Optimistic Paranoid 8 535 06-17-2017, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Optimistic Paranoid
  Amateur radio at RTR 2017 Vacilador 3 909 10-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Vacilador