Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amateur radio
You hams out in Arizona, and Nevada, you have an overhead pass coming up!

AO-91 will pass directly over Western Arizona TODAY at about 13:30 local time, 12:30 Pacific time. My map shows 14:30, that's my time zone, Central.

Listen on 145.96!

Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
highdesertranger (12-09-2017)
On the previous post, 'today' means Saturday, December 9.
Add Thank You Reply
(11-21-2017, 01:07 PM)arizonatruck Wrote: How many here are ham radio or other radio operators?  I would love to hear some people during my travels.

KI7LIK

AA0AE here. plan on being at RTR, then Quartzfest afterwards.
Add Thank You Reply
Well I tried but no luck...of course it was 1000 miles from me and it was busy.
Add Thank You Reply
KM6OVE here, longtime forum lurker, just joined and I plan to catch the end of RTR :-)
Add Thank You Reply
I've been licensed for almost 9 years...but I honestly can't even tell you the last time I turned on one of my radios for actual HAM use. I have an Icom 706 in the Samurai that gets used on 11 meters on trail runs, and that's about it. Yeah yeah...illegal use, couldn't care less than the FCC does about illegal 11 meter operation, lol. I couldn't find a legit 11 meter radio with a factory remote head unit mount, I didn't want a rebanded (poorly) export 10 meter radio, there's no room up front to mount the typical Cobra behemoth, and I've never been all that happy with the performance of the mini radios.

I'm kind of disappointed in the whole experience, really. I'm sure a good chunk of it falls on me, though. I don't have any friends into the ham stuff, 99% of the time I'm the only one on 4x4 runs with ham capability, local VHF/UHF activity is comprised of the typical old folk's nets about what they ate for breakfast and how the weather varies two degrees from one city to the next (not that there's anything wrong with that, it just doesn't interest me), and from what I've heard on HF, it's either people trying to cram as many contacts as possible into a short period of time, the same old folk's nets just on a wider geographic scale, or the CB'ers with more money on 40/80 meters on those two frequencies (though I suppose better that they stick to those two frequencies than to spatter all over those bands plus surrounding ones with their "peaked and tuned" radios). Meanwhile, I get chastised by the group as a whole for not being a "real" ham whose ruining the hobby because I got my license post code requirement and because I'm not operating on HF collecting contacts.

I tried joining a local club last year, which only resulted in guilt trips because I'm not pilfering my company's radio stock for the club's benefit, once they learned that I run the radio shop here.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Scout80 for this post:
dexstrom (12-12-2017)
Unfortunately that's an oft-repeated complaint. 

I've been there, done that.

Maybe at some point you will be able to connect with a better class of operators...but also, the hobby is kinda what you make of it. 

I've been licensed for 31 years and yeah, there have been some ups and downs, and there are some real pricks out there with a ham license. But MOST of us are not that way. 

I have fun with the hobby, and tend to ignore the jerks. 

In some ways, hams operate on the fringe, kinda like vandwellers, so not everyone 'gets' us or what we do. 

You might look into the ROIP modes, like Echolink or D-Star. You will tend to find a more open, and younger, type of ham on the digital voice modes. 

Anyway, good luck and 73!
Add Thank You Reply
(11-21-2017, 01:07 PM)arizonatruck Wrote: How many here are ham radio or other radio operators?  I would love to hear some people during my travels.

KI7LIK

W4BCT here.  This makes me want to get on-the-air again.
Add Thank You Reply
I plan to give the hobby another go; I'd only been on once since getting licensed. The other day I met a radio amateur that gave me enough information and encouragement to get me back into it.
Add Thank You Reply
HI
I was a little active years ago, but most of the discussion was not very interesting.
Talking about this potential new lifestyle and the RTR thing will be fun.
This communication method also works when nothing else will, but someone has to be listening.
Cheers
Bowlmaker
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amateur radio highdesertranger 133 12,089 09-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Last Post: pnolans
  Amateur Radio Field Day Optimistic Paranoid 8 537 06-17-2017, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Optimistic Paranoid
  Amateur radio at RTR 2017 Vacilador 3 916 10-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Vacilador