Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unorthodox freshwater acquisiton ideas I have (serious discussion)
Ok, this may sound like a smart ass answer but I am serious. 
Check out the reverse osmosis water purifier with pump at http://www.idahomotorpool.com  it would mean pulling a small trailer but it answers all issues brought up in the replies.
I am a 10 year survivor of stage IV head and neck cancer. 
I have stared death in the eye. . . . Death blinked. 
Griz
Add Thank You Reply
There are well type pumps that will lift 100' and many times over but aren't self priming nor are they 12 volt.

What size wire are you planning on running 100' to power this pump?

I've never heard of a boat that uses a small bilge pump that has a 100' deep bilge. One quality pump I checked the specs on had lost ~ 1/3rd of its flow at only 6.7' head. Advertised flow ratings are usually based on 0.0' head.
http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/runo12vodcbi6.html

Have you thought of using a gas pump at the source? Here is a small gas pump but only pumps to 50' (at very minimal flow).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-3-HP.../206874724

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
bilge pumps only have a head of a few feet.  they are meant to lift water out of the bilge,  that's it.  as someone who has dealt with pumps what you are asking for will take some money.  I have 2 of these,

you put it at the water source,  it will suck about 15 feet(the less the better).  it will pump 300 gal per minute,  with a 2 inch fire hose and nozzle it will shoot a stream of water about 150 feet(you better hold on tight),  it will pump a 180 foot head.  price 1k+.  mind you at 180 feet of head you are not going to get 300g/m,  lots of loses involved.  again I ask why are you looking to pump so much water?  20 five gallon buckets will get you 100 gallons and you won't have to go to the gym.   also like other have stated you can't just pump a lot of surface water willy nilly.  highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
bpdchief (12-20-2017), Gypsy Peripatetique (11-28-2017)
Grow site?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to John61CT for this post:
bpdchief (12-20-2017), gsfish (11-28-2017)
(11-27-2017, 10:04 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: 20 five gallon buckets will get you 100 gallons and you won't have to go to the gym.   highdesertranger

Not complicated enough? Too orthodox?

HDR, is that a compressor for a hookah rig on the side?

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
Gypsy Peripatetique (11-28-2017)
yes Guy. that one pumps enough air for one person. I have one of those, on my other water pump the compressor pumps enough air for 2 divers. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
It amazes me that you can be arrested for setting up a rain catchment. Heard of several arrests for it in Washington and Colorado....
I'm never lost... I'm exploring alternative destinations.  Rolleyes
Add Thank You Reply
Yes, at least on your own property one would think that would be a pretty fundamental human right.
Add Thank You Reply
In some jurisdictions water is treated the same as any other mineral. You can own the surface and I can own the gravel. Or the water district uses a ditch instead of a pipe to move their product. Here in the east, my state owns all the water. Underground, rivers, ditches, lakes, ponds, and puddles. As well as the ocean out 3 miles. There are complicated rules and permit processes to use water. This came about because some rich guy tried to pump the pinelands water to Phild.
Add Thank You Reply
whiskey is for dinkin, water is for fightin. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply