Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unorthodox freshwater acquisiton ideas I have (serious discussion)
(11-21-2017, 11:04 PM)debit.servus Wrote: drawing from pristine/clearwater streams, rivers and lakes

Just because water looks clear doesn't mean it is good to drink.  Boiling or chlorine are effective against bacteria and viruses.  Protozoa, which include Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium, are parasites likely to give you diarrhea.  Protozoa envelop themselves in a protective cyst when they encounter chemicals like chlorine and iodine. This cyst is sufficient to protect them. Microfiltration can remove protozoa and they can be killed with boiling, 5 minutes, and ultraviolet.  

Things dissolved in water like salt or lead require completely different methods like distillation.  Most pesticides can be removed with activated carbon.  

A couple of thousand years ago ethanol was used to keep water from going bad.  If you start with good water some barley and yeast will preserve it.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Trebor English for this post:
ArmorAbby (12-21-2017), free2enjoy (12-21-2017)
Agreed... regarding the little fellas... Ive had dysentery.... it would be impossibly disgusting to go through that while vandwelling..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Started fulltiming 01/17 -  '98 Chevy Express 1500 Gladiator 
Add Thank You Reply
(11-25-2017, 02:47 AM)debit.servus Wrote: Wow, people have been killed over water in the United States? An extended shower is not worth my life. For drinking and cooking water I'll have 5 gallon jugs filled from the pure water dispenser.
The Western Slope of Colorado has separate water courts just for cases involving water rights.  Yeah, desert SW takes water very seriously.  Depending where you are, there are often municipal water works that sell water quite cheaply in bulk.  For instance around Montrose, Colorado:
http://www.tricountywater.org/dispensers.htm
Add Thank You Reply
Colorado JUST legalized rain water catchment this year (even off of your own property), but it is limited to 55 gallons (I think?).

RE: Suction pumps, you can only lift (suck) until PSIA on the suction side reaches zero (a delta of 14.7 at sea level). Once you hit zero, there's no air left to suck out, so no more lift can be gained. That, variably, works out to something like 33 feet or so of lift. 33' IF you can reach a perfect vacuum (which isn't likely without sophisticated hardware like cryogenic or diffusion pumps, etc.). Pushing is different. If you can submerge the pump and "push" it up the hose, then the limitations are related to horsepower and pump efficiency. PSIA becomes moot for the most part.

Without intending to ignite a discussion on the duration of human habitation on the planet, we obligate bipeds (and every other living organism on the planet) have been drinking from lakes, streams, rivers and rain for a very long time. I see it like sushi, sure, there's some risk in it's consumption, but it's just so tasty! Just be careful, and avoid high speed lead poisoning wherever us humans have become possessive about "their" water. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 11:13 AM)NoMadYesHappy Wrote: drinking from lakes, streams, rivers
Wow is that irresponsible!

There are very many locations in the US where doing so would be very risky, and not only near population centers.

And lots of nasty toxins are odorless, tasteless, and from far-upstream contamination many decades ago.

Might not kill you right away, but you sure don't want your habits causing long-term buildup with very nasty results a decade later.

Of course local knowledge is a great thing, as long as it's real knowledge, not just some random "common sense" from someone who thinks the EPA wasn't created for very **very** good reason.

It's coming out now that as many US citizens have died as a result of our nuclear testing in the southwrst as Japanese did from our A-bombs.

And many times that have suffered terribly from cancer without being killed by it outright.

Be careful out there folks.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 05:00 PM)John61CT Wrote: Wow is that irresponsible!  ...
No, it's not irresponsible, nor the end of the world ...

Don't drink out of streams that  cows (or people) have defecated in, don't drink out of rivers that have a factory dumping waste into it upstream (much less common in the US today than back in the 50s and 60s), be smart ... and, I agree, be careful, but freaking out over surface water is a bit of an over reaction.  The water today, in the US, is cleaner than it has been in decades...FAR cleaner than probably ANY other country in the world!

I'd drink right out of a high mountain stream with my trusty 40 year old iron cup in a heartbeat and love every cool drop of it.

I'd NEVER drink out of the Colorado river down where y'all have been camping without treating it properly. But, I'd drink it after treatment just as surely as I would mountain stream water.

I grew up without seat belts, the cars had metal dashboards, I rode my bicycle at breakneck speeds without a helmet, I ate dirt from the back yard as an infant, I drank out of the hose (and lakes, streams, rivers, etc...) and yet, I still live.

Amazing but true!  Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 06:13 PM)NoMadYesHappy Wrote: Don't drink out of streams that  cows (or people) have defecated in, . . .
I'd drink right out of a high mountain stream with my trusty 40 year old iron cup in a heartbeat and love every cool drop of it . . .

It's not only cows and people defecating you have to worry about.  It is any body of water with pooping animals in its watershed.  Giardiasis is very unpleasant and can be life threatening.  Climbing rangers advised us that the snow in the Alaska Range was observed to be infected and that we should boil all meltwater.

When I was young I would drink directly from the lake in the BWCA.  That ended when one of my group contacted giardiasis (commonly called Beaver Fever or the Hershey Squirts).  It was an extremely unpleasant two days out for all of us and a serious medical issue for the sufferer.  Since I have either boiled or filtered my water; it's an easy precaution.

It doesn't affect you until it does.
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply
Relevant article from NYT on a "raw water" trend I kid you not.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/di...tered.html

Pure BS sales pitches from science denying charlatans.

growing up I believed in our ever-increasing knowledge, built upon generations of humans devoting their lives to improving our shared wisdom & insight

I'm now thinking we're doomed.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to John61CT for this post:
gsfish (01-02-2018), Travelmonkey (01-02-2018)
(01-01-2018, 11:32 PM)John61CT Wrote: Relevant article from NYT on a "raw water" trend I kid you not.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/di...tered.html

Pure BS sales pitches from science denying charlatans.

growing up I believed in our ever-increasing knowledge, built upon generations of humans devoting their lives to improving our shared wisdom & insight

I'm now thinking we're doomed.

I tried but couldn't get through the entire article b/c I was laughing too much...  Raw water for $15/gallon?  And $6/gallon for a refill?
Add Thank You Reply
I guess that shipping water from Fiji is out of fashion now. Since springs are fed by aquifers, how is this water any different than well water from the same aquifer other than the prospect of contamination if allowed to flow to the surface before collection? Amazing that there are people that WANT bacteria in their water. Where I grew up in central Florida there was sulfur in much of the well water and springs. You could smell the springs before you saw them.

Here's another water story... 45 page water menu at a restaurant in LA.
https://www.eater.com/2013/8/6/6390275/l...-sommelier

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
John61CT (01-02-2018)