Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renogy Eclipse panels?
Jim, how long do you need a pair of Eclipse to test them?

Mine are portable so you could borrow them....for a price..... Big Grin Big Grin Tongue (food Jim, food!!)
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
galladanb (11-24-2017)
I appreciate all the responses. If I'm understanding efficiency correctly, I'd get more power out of 3 x 100W regular panels than out of 2 x 100W Eclipse panels for less money. I put some Eclipse panels in my Amazon cart... if they go on sale that changes everything. Otherwise I'll probably go with a 300W system.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
Can I ask a question? Is there a way to secure solar panels to van roof for when driving down road but also an easy way to take them off roof to park in shade and lay them out? ( please bare with me I am trying so hard to understand it.) I understand cooking, knitting, and crocheting. Trying to understand solar and how to install it, and how to use it.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to laurielovesGary for this post:
Bohemian scout (11-30-2017)
(11-30-2017, 07:56 AM)laurielovesGary Wrote: Can I ask a question? Is there a way to secure solar panels to van roof for when driving down road but also an easy way to take them off roof to park in shade and lay them out?  ( please bare with me I am trying so hard to understand it.) I understand cooking, knitting, and crocheting. Trying to understand solar and how to install it, and how to use it.

Yes, use L brackets on the panels and lock pins on corners instead of bolts, just pull pins to remove. I.E. two long L brackets on roof and two on the panels, drill a hole on each of the 4 corners and install pins.

[Image: metallics-everbilt-pins-rings-clips-807468-64_300.jpg][Image: everbilt-bar-flats-tubes-rods-802527-64_...ressed.jpg]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Itripper for this post:
galladanb (11-30-2017)
Most of the installations I have done were Eclipse panels. 

They work much better in low light situations such as cloudy days. Think of the extra cost as insurance. 

Renogy stands behind all of their products. I trust them.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
galladanb (11-30-2017), HumbleBeginnings (11-30-2017)
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and it seems to me I would be better off with 3 regular monocrystalline panels than 2 eclipse panels. Is my logic sound on this?

Regular: 
3 x 100W @ 15.47% efficiency for $280

Eclipse:
2 x 100W @18.35% efficiency for $440

I'm not exactly sure how to calculate what efficiency would do for me. Is it as simple as: 3*100W*.1547 = 46.41W ?

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
No, those efficiency ratings only apply to controlled standards test conditions, lots of performance variability between types depending on specific conditions.

IMO base decision on vendor rep for build quality and service, then

Cost per watt

Maximizing watts per available space

Then pay a bit of a premium for the efficiency rating
Add Thank You Reply
Ideal conditions, understood. I'm just thinking for a comparison basis between models.

Since both are Renogy, the vendor rep is the same.

Cost per watt:
Standard: 300W for 3*$140=$420, $1.40/W (note my previous post incorrectly stated $280)
Eclipse: 200W for 2*$220=$440, $2.20/W

The standard seems like a no brainer, assuming I have space for 3 panels vs 2, which I do.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
Yes getting 300 vs 200 nominal watts will certainly overwhelm any differences between panel types.
Add Thank You Reply
I just bought an eclipse. Didn't have time to wait for a sale because I will not be able to install it unless it's first, before all the other panels. I have a space that's about 40 inches and the regular 100w panels are 47". I may or may not be able to squeeze in another with the other 540 watts on my trailer roof. I need to get up there with some tape to mark it all out. But the eclipse will have its own charge controller. I like the Blue Sky one that gives you a nice readout of what's going in. Any increased performance is quite welcome.

My aim is to be able to run the furnace, even with days of crappy weather without having to hook up to shore power. Everything else is gravy.
Ted
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  100w renogy eclipse refurbished Bohemian scout 9 383 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: dragonflyinthesky
  How do I wire this A/V Meter inline With Renogy Panels? squid 32 1,360 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: rvpopeye
  best use of PWM with Renogy 100W panels frater secessus 17 848 11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: frater secessus