Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renogy Eclipse panels?
the efficiency rating is about how efficient the panel is at turning sunlight into electricity. a 100 watt panel is a 100 watt panel. but the more efficient one should have a smaller footprint. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Itripper (01-05-2018), rvpopeye (12-30-2017), HumbleBeginnings (12-29-2017)
You beat me to it sir!

For HB's question:

Yes, efficiency is a measure of how much surface area of this type of material, vs that type of material, to make electricity from the sunlight.

But, a 100 rated watt panel makes 100 watts (in the lab or in ideal solar conditions) no matter the efficiency. The power rating is the wattage that you can expect from the panel, (again in ideal conditions). Usually, a high efficiency panel simply means it will be a bit smaller in physical size, since it needs less sunlight to make the same power.

There are slight differences in the final ratings, called 'power tolerance' but for our normal use and at normal dollar amounts for vans and RVs these ratings don't matter that much, usually just a few percent. 

Different panels might respond differently in cloudy conditions or with partial shading, but again, for our normal or modest setups, it's just not that much of an issue.  

If you were going to buy 1000 panels to power an office building or a warehouse, then the small differences in efficiency and power tolerance would be cumulative and matter a lot more.

For us, what matters most is usually cost, durability, warranty, overall size, and sometimes, weight.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
rvpopeye (12-30-2017), Van Lady (12-29-2017), HumbleBeginnings (12-29-2017)
The Eclipse panel will harvest electricity in conditions where the others won’t.  Such as dusk and moonlight.  I have had nothing but happy people when I install them. 

Over the life of the panel, they will more than pay for themselves.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
Now that I understand efficiency is more about the required size to get a certain output, I'm mostly just concerned with which size panel fits on my roof.

I measured yesterday, and the regular monocrystalline panels fit perfectly between the sides of my maxxfan and the ends of my cross bars. So, I can fit 4 x 100w panels up there pretty easily.

My plan is to wire them so that I have 2 pairs in parallel with each pair in series with an mppt controller.

Thanks for all the help.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
Don't quote me on this, but my nderstanding is that the Eclipse panels are smaller than their opposites...

On my 3500 extended rooftop, two 100w panesl look so tiny...
I could actually put more panels than I can afford up there!! Really!
Thx, Dan'l
Big plans, Mini budget!!!
Check out my build here: Sophia's Hauler
And on Fakebook, look for us at: @Sophias.Hauler
Add Thank You Reply
FYI

Renogy Eclipse 100 watt. Product Dimensions 40.8 x 1.4 x 20.7 inches

Regular Renogy 100 watt 47 x 1.4 x 21.3 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
galladanb (12-31-2017), tx2sturgis (12-31-2017), highdesertranger (12-31-2017), HumbleBeginnings (12-31-2017)
Yep, and I've got 23" on either side of my roof van. So the regular mono work out perfectly and save me a ton of money. I was originally going to get two panels, now I'll be going with four so I'll be looking for extra devices to power!

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
And the Renogy 100watt poly panel is about 40 X 26.7 .......
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
No actually useful amps are "harvested" by any panels from streetlamps or moonlight.

Fact they might show some voltage is meaningless.
Add Thank You Reply
Maybe you should test that theory John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  100w renogy eclipse refurbished Bohemian scout 9 388 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: dragonflyinthesky
  How do I wire this A/V Meter inline With Renogy Panels? squid 32 1,376 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: rvpopeye
  best use of PWM with Renogy 100W panels frater secessus 17 851 11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: frater secessus