Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renogy Eclipse panels?
John
Do you actually own a panel ??
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
yeah you actually DO get a little charging. not much but some. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Cammalu (12-31-2017), B and C (12-31-2017)
Efficiency is output vs footprint. So the same power in a smaller footprint is more efficient. Should footprint not matter then you move onto other considerations like production in sub par conditions, cost and availability. Also to consider is what type of system they are being run on. On a PWM system higher voltage and lower amperage just means more voltage is loss and fewer amps are delivered. On a MPPT system all of the voltage is used so the difference in amp output is minimal.

As far as seeing output under extreme low light conditions goes, seeing it can be a factor of what controller you are using. Park under a street light or full moon and test the Voc of your panel/s while disconnected and you will see a rise in voltage. Whether or not it is enough power to wake up the controller is a different question. My 250w panels would show output in low light conditions if connected to a Eco-worthy MPPT controller but do not on my Morningstar controller. The Morningstar does not see it as enough to even wake up.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
HumbleBeginnings (01-01-2018)
(12-31-2017, 12:38 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: yeah you actually DO get a little charging. not much but some. highdesertranger
Keywords highlighted below

(12-31-2017, 12:16 PM)John61CT Wrote: No **actually useful** amps are "harvested" by any panels from streetlamps or moonlight.
And yes, next set of eclipses I install, if a clear night with a full moon happens while I still have access, I'll measure actual charge output at the battery, which is what I'm talking about.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 04:39 PM)John61CT Wrote: Keywords highlighted below

And yes, next set of eclipses I install, if a clear night with a full moon happens while I still have access, I'll measure actual charge output at the battery,  which is what I'm talking about.

Have you any experience with the Renogy Eclipse panel?
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 02:35 PM)jimindenver Wrote: On a MPPT system all of the voltage is used so the difference in amp output is minimal.

So would it be bad put my panels in series/parallel if I have an mppt controller? (Two panels in series, in parallel with two other panels in series. 40 Voc, ~10 Amps)

Would it be better to have all four in series for max voltage? (80 Voc, ~5 Amps)

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
FYI - I emailed Renogy tech support about series vs series/parallel for my intended setup and their only response is that both are valid, and they don't recommend one over the other. So unless I hear new information to dissuade me I plan to use the series/parallel setup.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
Aaron, if your going to get four panels, I might suggest a cross wiring pattern.
By that I mean left front to right rear and right front to left rear...

As has been said before, if one is in shade or blocked, both are rendered out.
Does that make sense? Or am I over thinking it?

I only have 2 - 100 w Eclipse panels, and I think mine are wired in parallel so that if one gets blocked, the other still works great! I'm wanting to add one more in the future. More than 300 and I will need another mppt controller! Lol!
Thx, Dan'l
Big plans, Mini budget!!!
Check out my build here: Sophia's Hauler
And on Fakebook, look for us at: @Sophias.Hauler
Add Thank You Reply
Depends on the MPPT controller. For sure anything under 30V won't get much extra efficiency from most, they need a wide possible V range to work their magic.

The Victrons for example have a lot of headroom for voltage, and I believe best efficiency requires higher than 40V.

Best would be to actually A/B test it yourself with your hardware combination: given pretty stable conditions, switch between e.g. 2s2p and 4s1p to see with an ammeter which config results in higher output - **charging amps** at the battery bank.

Ideally leave a flexible wiring setup in place so you could switch back to see in different conditions, easily add or replace panels, use portables easily etc.
Add Thank You Reply
Dan'l - I thought about a cross pattern, but I decided that was the worst option. If I get shade across the front OR back OR left OR right, all the scenarios would compromise both branches of my parallel circuit.

John - Well dang... that's a really good idea so now I'm going to have to figure out a way to install my wiring so that it's agile. (Once I finally buy my components.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  100w renogy eclipse refurbished Bohemian scout 9 390 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: dragonflyinthesky
  How do I wire this A/V Meter inline With Renogy Panels? squid 32 1,386 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: rvpopeye
  best use of PWM with Renogy 100W panels frater secessus 17 859 11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: frater secessus