Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renogy Eclipse panels?
Note the ideal for handling shading is a 1:1 ratio between SC and panels.

More expensive and less efficient with little low-voltage panels, so here just a FYI sidenote.
Add Thank You Reply
John, I didn't quite follow that. Can you dumb it down for me?

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
OK, get a larger, higher voltage panel more suitable for taking advantage of MPPT's potentially greater efficiency.

e.g. SunPower SPR-X21-345

and match 1:1 with quality MPOT controllers, robust and fully adjustable.

e.g. Victron, lower amp units are very cheap (under $100), but for the above panel we'll need to go to higher capacity ones

Revevant panel specs:
Nominal power 345W
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc) 68V
Rated Current (Impp) 6A

So Victron MPPT 100/30 will match up well.

If you have room for three panels, you buy three controllers

This 1:1 ratio means if one gets some shading, the others are completely unaffected.

Don't let anyone tell you that some special panels are somehow magically resistant to shading issues. Diodes can be incorporated, but these can cause other issues and be inefficient, and poly vs mono, serial vs parallel can also make a bit of a difference.

But in general, if multiple panels are sharing a single panel, even a small amount of shading, even from a leaf or bird poop, can drastically reduce the actual charging current as measured at the battery bank.

Going the other way, if you wanted to get the much less expensive MPPT 75/15 unit, then you would look for a similar high-voltage panel, but that's rated for 240W or a bit under.
Add Thank You Reply
John

I have not dealt with a Victron yet that I did not feel there was a issue with the MPPT program. Getting the dongle seems to help some but they back off the charge rate at 13-13.1v. In one case a Morningstar controller set the battery specs made all the difference in the world.

What has your experience been with your Victron and what system are you running it on?
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
I haven't seen any installs with those issues, several dozen working great, mostly on boats.

I was just giving an example about setting up 1:1, not reco for OP, I wouldn't bother using them at low voltages, say under 35 VoC rated.

Yes Morningstar are great, along with Midnight, Outback, Blue Sky.

Favorite so far has been Bogart with Trimetric, but that's PWM and pricey.
Add Thank You Reply
Right but what of your system?
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
rvpopeye (01-03-2018)
Hey Jim,

I'm looking at 4 Renogy 100W panels, which have a stated 20Voc. So if I'm understanding this right:

Series/parallel would give me 40Voc, 10A
All 4 in series would give me 80Voc, 5A

Have I got that right? And would one be better than the other? I contacted Renogy and they said they don't recommend one over the other. But I do want to make sure I get the most out of the 40A/100V mppt controller.

Thanks!

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
If all your panels are lighted identically, and your MPPT controller can handle the VOC voltage with enough safety margin (20% or more), series is best. If you will have partial shading, parallel is best.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to blars for this post:
John61CT (01-03-2018), HumbleBeginnings (01-03-2018)
If you put all four panels in series, and you get blockage of even one small section on one panel, say from some leaves or a plastic bag up there, the whole array drops output. Or if one panel fails. Not likely, but it can happen. 

If it were me, I'd go series/parallel, because then you have redundancy. The total power derived might be a tad bit less this way, with a Victron, if Jim's assessment is correct, and I trust his observations.

However you would gain some confidence in a steady supply of power even if one leg of the array is underperforming.

But that's just me.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
HumbleBeginnings (01-03-2018)
(01-02-2018, 04:25 PM)John61CT Wrote: Don't let anyone tell you that some special panels are somehow magically resistant to shading issues. Diodes can be incorporated, but these can cause other issues and be inefficient, and poly vs mono, serial vs parallel can also make a bit of a difference.

But in general, if multiple panels are sharing a single panel, even a small amount of shading, even from a leaf or bird poop, can drastically reduce the actual charging current as measured at the battery bank.

Again, more bad info. What may seem like "magic" to you is just technology advancing. Lighting a match was once considered magic also.

My renology eclipse panels are not affected by a tiny leaf. In fact (because I sent someone up to the roof to verify) even a whole man size hand on a panel only draws the solar input down a small amount.

You are well aware of this and have seen the photos of this but keep spouting inaccuracies. You were kicked out of another forum for continuously spreading bad information and being argumentative to everyone.

You don't own any Renogy eclipse panels and to bad mouth them when you have zero experience with them is disingenuous at best.
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
Peterson (01-06-2018), galladanb (01-03-2018), rvpopeye (01-03-2018)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  100w renogy eclipse refurbished Bohemian scout 9 385 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: dragonflyinthesky
  How do I wire this A/V Meter inline With Renogy Panels? squid 32 1,364 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: rvpopeye
  best use of PWM with Renogy 100W panels frater secessus 17 849 11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: frater secessus