Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renogy Eclipse panels?
ok let's stay on topic. JohnCT if you don't have the experience with the Eclipse Panels stop posting like you do. I am sure the OP doesn't want to hear it. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
galladanb (01-03-2018), HumbleBeginnings (01-03-2018), Blanch (01-03-2018), Cammalu (01-03-2018), RoamingKat (01-03-2018), rvpopeye (01-03-2018)
I have seen evidence of different panels reacting differently in varying light on identical set ups side by side. It is the reason I chose the panels I have of the panels I had access to. I would not assume a newer panel would or would not do anything based on past testing because in 5 years I have seen improvements in both types of panels. I expect the improvements to continue and you see this in the reduced footprint of the Eclipse panels. You see it again in the higher efficiency of the SunPower panels.

The assessment of Voc/Isc is correct for series and series parallel. I agree with series/parallel but wish to suggest that before you mount the panels, lay them out and try the different ways of wiring them to the controller. See what difference there is in output to the battery in the different configurations and see what happens if you shade a panel too. I would suggest seeing what happens if you tilted them but only if there is a possibility that you will do it. A tilted/tracking panel is worth nearly double what a flat mounted one is, maybe more in the low sun of the winter. Knowing just how much there is to be gained might drive you crazy. lol
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 10 users say Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
Technomad (01-06-2018), bullfrog (01-04-2018), Netter (01-04-2018), RoamingKat (01-03-2018), HumbleBeginnings (01-03-2018), galladanb (01-03-2018), Cammalu (01-03-2018), Blanch (01-03-2018), rvpopeye (01-03-2018), highdesertranger (01-03-2018)
It's crazy to me to think the angle could make that much of a difference vs a flat unshaded panel. I do think I'll do a setup in the driveway like you said. Having other people tell me about it just isn't the same as seeing it for myself. Thanks for the feedback, it helps me feel like I'm starting to understand this stuff.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to HumbleBeginnings for this post:
galladanb (01-04-2018)
Humble Beginnings, have you seen these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUPAG08/ref...1PFS0?th=1

They are aluminum and I've been thinking about duplicating them for my panels on my van using locally purchased materials.

One review stated that one could not purchase the materials for what they cost on Amazon, but I intend to check pricing myself.
Add Thank You Reply
I had not seen those on Amazon. That's pretty much exactly what I was going to try to make!

The 41" model I would need is $99... I'm pretty sure the aluminum angle, some bolts, and wing nuts could be sourced for a lot less than that.

Although, if I only needed 1 I would probably buy it for simplicity. But I need 4 and that adds up quick!

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
(01-03-2018, 11:39 PM)HumbleBeginnings Wrote: I do think I'll do a setup in the driveway like you said. Having other people tell me about it just isn't the same as seeing it for myself.

There is much to be gained from reading and talking, even possibly to those that are just googling the answers and regurgitating them back up here. That does not nor ever will hold a candle to push the button and see what happens, been there and done that. It will be well worth the effort to gain the practical knowledge.

My truck's panel is pointed east in the morning and standing near vertical for the low rising sun. Around 10 AM I lower it to a better angle for the mid day sun and back the truck up a few feet with the wheel turned. I will move the truck twice more through out the day and raise the panel back up around three as the sun is dropping.

The result is that that panel starts seeing light and producing power before the rooftop system wakes up. At 435 watts it has a peak that matches the flat mounted 750 watts in the winter high sun and it sees that peak before and after the roof can. All together the smaller tilting/tracking system is out producing the larger flat system. On cloudy days the extra power can mean the difference in running the generator or not.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
rvpopeye (01-04-2018)
(01-04-2018, 11:03 AM)jimindenver Wrote:  On cloudy days the extra power can mean the difference in running the generator or not.

Well I'm not planning on having a generator, so I better get to work on this tilting system! I'm planning to mount 4 x 100W on the roof by constructing something similar to what was linked above. Building it to tilt in one direction seems pretty easy. Tilting multiple possible directions could be possible too, but the question is how to I make it easy enough to adjust that I'm willing to mess with it multiple times a day.

Another driveway experiment.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
(01-04-2018, 11:03 AM)jimindenver Wrote: My truck's panel is pointed east in the morning and standing near vertical for the low rising sun. Around 10 AM I lower it to a better angle for the mid day sun and back the truck up a few feet with the wheel turned. I will move the truck twice more through out the day and raise the panel back up around three as the sun is dropping.

Have you thought about installing motorized suspension hydraulics like the gangs, I mean, kids do?

You could push a button on a remote and tilt the whole truck to a 45 degree angle and gimbal the whole darn thing around as needed, and never start the engine!

Now THAT would get some attention!

Tongue
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Just what we need more power robbing accesories! Don't give Jim any more reasons to get more panels!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
jimindenver (01-04-2018), rvpopeye (01-04-2018), GotSmart (01-04-2018)
On RV.net there is someone that uses door hinges and pins to be able to tilt in any direction. I likely would not adjust my trucks panel so often were I not able to reach it from the ground. On a parked rig the panels are generally tilted to the south in the best position or the mid day sun and left there. A smaller RV or van could track by moving a few feet at a time like I do with my truck without having to repack everything every time.

I have ran a number of concepts for lifting the panels mechanically through my head for a while now. Screw drive and hydraulic come to mind instantly but are complicated, heavy and prone to break down when you need it the most. Also at issue is getting the extension needed to stand it up as well as the strength to deal with winds. What I think may be doable is gas struts that are compressed in the closed position. A latch would hold them down and a strap would limit the tilt in the summer just as it could keep the panel from releasing on the road.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
rvpopeye (01-04-2018)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  100w renogy eclipse refurbished Bohemian scout 9 384 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: dragonflyinthesky
  How do I wire this A/V Meter inline With Renogy Panels? squid 32 1,361 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: rvpopeye
  best use of PWM with Renogy 100W panels frater secessus 17 848 11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: frater secessus